Greasy Lake Community

3 hours ago, Lampi said:

I think I am gonna put you on ignore now...:angry:

...which means from now on you can post as many photos of New Jersey men in an orange swimming suit as you like, without any comment....

:D:D:D

That really must be you Erik....:(

Break my heart twice why dont'ya

;)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goodness with the one obvious exception (REM) there is some rubbish in there.  

I don't know if @CosmicKid encourages @CmonMrTrouble to visit other boards or not but my guess is that the more time that Mikey spends away from here the smoother this place runs.

I don’t care what they think Eileen. I do care about the people that know me putting the fellow straight so thank you. It’s one thing if he doesn’t care for my taste (which of course is class) but to

21 hours ago, Eileen said:

The fella transferring stuff onto dvd for me is a massive KISS fan - on loads of forums etc, has oodles of stuff. I told him I'd keep a look-out for fans on here.

I used to be a total KISS fanboy between the ages of 10 and 22, collecting everything that had the band's logo on it. Then Bruce took over. 20 years ago, in need of money, I sold almost my entire KISS collection. Helped us through a rough couple of years. Now I'd love to look at all that stuff again. Was a big part of my youth. I'm not a fanatic anymore. But I still love their music. They were my second love, after our local football club. ;)

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Archie Hunter said:

Big Country

A very big 'like' for this!:)

Did you see them live, once or more times? (In the original line-up, before....well you know before what:().

• Like 1
On 2/16/2021 at 8:53 PM, VABOSSFAN said:

Not sure what I missed here but my favorites other than Bruce are:

Pearl Jam

Rush

U2

Did you just copy mine down? ;)

On 1/25/2021 at 9:49 PM, Jimmy James said:

1. Pearl Jam

2. Rush

3. The Killers

4. U2

5. Judas Priest 

As of right now.

8 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Did you see them live, once or more times? (In the original line-up, before....well you know before what:().

I saw Big Country - probably in 1984. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant! Newcastle City Hall.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Now that's a name you don't hear about much! LOVE IT! 

Never saw him in person but love to watch videos of him. Amazing!

Just now, Eileen said:

Never saw him in person but love to watch videos of him. Amazing!

Seriously, after I posted my comment I went to YT, watched a video Shadow Play, I'm out of breath! 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Lampi said:

I'm afraid I saw the original line-up just the once, at the De Montfort Hall in Leicester, which I think must have been 1986, shortly after the release of the Seer album.  Just to say, there were obviously three classic Big Country albums, The Crossing, Steeltown and the Seer, but the two that followed those (Peace In Our Time, and No Place Like Home) are also damn fine albums, and all 5 are now available in a single set, for around £12.  What a band. What a sound.

• Like 4
On 2/18/2021 at 9:46 PM, Lampi said:

The first concert I went to was Big Country in September 83,such an introduction to live music,saw them various times over the years including The Final Fling,still have the tshirt from that.

I got their autographs when they did a signing session after playing a small set at a local HMV ( think it was to promote Why The Long Face ).

Driving To Damascus was a fine final album,Stuart was a great loss.

• Like 3
On 2/18/2021 at 9:37 PM, Archie Hunter said:

Minus Bruce, and in no particular order:

Rod Stewart and the Faces, up to 1975

Big Country

Richard Hawley

Rory Gallagher

And, finally, a little known band, Paper Aeroplanes

Haven’t ‘Paper Aeroplanes’ split up?

Bossman

4 hours ago, Bossman66 said:

Haven’t ‘Paper Aeroplanes’ split up?

Bossman

They have, yes.  A shame they did, and a great shame I thought that they never really became more well known, which is partly why I thought I'd include them in the list of 5.

• Like 1

If I was answering this question 30 years ago the answer would be very different to now. Same as if I was answering 20 years ago. 

Do people here generally retain the same favourite music throughout their lives or switch as time goes by? 

One thing for certain - I tend to drop into this board out of long ingrained habit but Springsteen ceased to be my 'favourite' quite some time ago  - e.g I can't abide acoustic Bruce (or acoustic music in general) and none of his post Magic studio albums totally hit the mark for me except roughly half of Western Stars. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Demos said:

Do people here generally retain the same favourite music throughout their lives or switch as time goes by? 

I listed some of the artists I held in high esteem back then and still do.  I could have gone on ... Cyndi, Southside, 60s ... but I'd enjoy listening to the ones I chose right now. They'd never sound old hat to me.

As for Bruce - I've started listening to his last 2 albums recently and love his 'current' voice. He'll always be the best, imho, but I wouldn't go to see him in concert nowadays. I probably wouldn't go to see anybody - done all that and perfectly happy not to bother.

• 1 month later...

Arcade Fire
Bruce Springsteen
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Elvis Costello
Fleetwood Mac
The Gaslight Anthem
Lana Del Rey
The Replacements
Van Morrison

Those are some bands/artists I would mention as my favorites. The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, David Bowie and Oasis are others I listened a lot to throughout the years.

• 3 weeks later...

Roy Orbison

The Beatles

Tom Petty And the Heartberakers

The Who

Johnny Cash

The Killers

Elton John

REO Speedwagon

Those are some examples of favourites others would include Foreigner, The Everly Brothers,  The Rolling Stones, Oasis and Buddy Holly

• Like 2
On 2/28/2021 at 5:27 AM, Demos said:

If I was answering this question 30 years ago the answer would be very different to now. Same as if I was answering 20 years ago. 

My favorites have switched positions throughout my life. I still enjoy listening to my old "number ones" (like Van Halen and Meat Loaf), but I don't follow them anymore like I once did. Peter Frampton was once my favorite; I kind of forgot about him for years, then "discovered" him again several years ago, and I'm so glad I did!

Currently, Bruce will always be my number one. After him is Keith Urban, though I'm not overly fond of his last couple of releases. After that, in no particular order, I'd say:

Rush

Elton John

Frank Zappa 

(Loads of others)

• Like 1