Greasy Lake Community

The Official MLB 2021 thread

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I gave $101.00. What a great museum! If you ever near KC check it out. 

#ICallBullshit If it can't be an "official" no hitter, then how does baseball call it a shut out, a complete game and a win?   I understand not calling that a "no hitter" if the game had a weathe

It's interesting, I am hearing a lot of players and coaches like it.  Basically, they don't want 15 inning, 5 hour games with a 12:05 start the next day.  Pitchers don't like it, because every extra i

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I wonder who will be going in? :)

The 2020 inductees were Derek Jeter, Larry Walker and Ted Simmons, along with labor leader Marvin Miller.

9 hours ago, burghfan said:

No new members for the HOF in 2021, but there will be a ceremony for the players chosen in 2020.

Just reinforces that 755 is still the HR record ;) 

• Bruuuuce! 1
2 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

As always it will be interesting to see how not having 81 home games in Coors Field impacts his production.

I was just telling this to my wife last night when this broke. I was actually talking to my as she has no idea about any sport. I had explain it down to the last detail.

1 hour ago, JudgeBrown said:

As always it will be interesting to see how not having 81 home games in Coors Field impacts his production.

You mean like Davey Johnson, 1973 ;) 

• Like 2

And the Cards got hit with just the reverse of this, when they traded Andrés Galarraga to Colorado and he went on a terror. People hear wanted hang Cardinals GM.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

Tattis got seriously paid

That is crazy! 14 years! Does anyone know if there is an injury clause in the contract? What happens if he gets a career ending injury next week? @DarknessandHope, what do you think my man! Good for your team or not? 

So $700 Million wrapped up in two players? Doesn't seem smart to me? Unless they wanted to wrap them up and hope the Yankee's, Red Sox or the LA teams come calling for them? Plus it's not for current there will be fans in the stands yet, especially California! 

I'm guessing the team has injury insurance for the contract, or there is language that allows it to be voided for injury.

I wonder if there is an opt-out in the contract.  Say 5, 7, or 10 years into it the new TV contracts are much higher than they are now so the top players are making a lot more, is he stuck and can he opt-out and get more.

The Pirates also signed a player Wednesday, but it didn't make the big splash like the Padres signing.  The Pirates signed LHP Tyler Anderson, the article I saw didn't have the length of the contract but did say it was for $2.5 million this year.

18 minutes ago, burghfan said:

he Pirates signed LHP Tyler Anderson, the article I saw didn't have the length of the contract but did say it was for $2.5 million this year.

:lol:, isn't that the minimum any more? :D 

On 2/18/2021 at 7:48 AM, Jimmy James said:

That is crazy! 14 years! Does anyone know if there is an injury clause in the contract? What happens if he gets a career ending injury next week? @DarknessandHope, what do you think my man! Good for your team or not? 

JJ, I think in the long run this will be a good deal if he stays healthy. Given the way salaries have been rising and all in a few years he could get $30 million plus a year. What I read that was pretty interesting was that it said "almost" all of the $340 million was guaranteed so they must have some good insurance coverage on the contract. Contract supposed to be signed this weekend so we will see.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

MLB has a new mercy rule, it allows a manager to end an inning after 20 pitches.  The Red Sox stopped the Braves half of the first after 23 pitches and 1 out, the bases were loaded and 1 run was walked in.  The pitcher had a 1-2-3 inning in the 2nd.

The Cardinals announced yesterday they have come to an agreement with the City of St. Louis and the State of Missouri to have 12-14,000 fans in stadium at the beginning of the season. And more and more as things get better. 

What about the rest of you baseball fans, have you heard arrangements for your club?