Greasy Lake Community

The Official MLB 2021 thread

burghfan

I saw some of the all star game last night.  When did they switch from the players wearing their own uniforms to wearing the butt-ugly ones they had last night?

Apologies to butt-ugly for the comparison to the uniforms.

I've been watching a handful of highlights from the "All-Star Game". When did they stop wearing their team uniforms? This is how out of touch I'm with baseball right now! 

NFL and EPL have nothing to worry about where my viewership is! 

36 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

I've been watching a handful of highlights from the "All-Star Game". When did they stop wearing their team uniforms? This is how out of touch I'm with baseball right now! 

NFL and EPL have nothing to worry about where my viewership is! 

I don't know when the switch was made to special unis for the game, but I did see that MLB signed a uniform deal with Nike so that might have something to do with the switch.  I don't know if anybody liked them but saw an article that said they were getting slammed on social media.

The Pirates were at home last night against the Mets.  The Mets were winning 6-0 heading into the 8th.  The Pirates scored 5 in the bottom of the 8th.  The Mets added and insurance run in the top of the 9th to go up 7-5.  The Pirates loaded the bases in the bottom of the 9th then got a walk-off grand slam.  Before the Pirates' rally, MLB teams were 314-0 this season when leading by six or more runs in the eighth inning or later.

It seems when the Pirates are mentioned in a stat like that it is usually for something that isn't good, good to see a positive stat for a change.

Well the Pirates had an interesting 3 innings.  Last night they scored 9 runs in the last 2 innings capped off by a walk-off grand slam to win seal the comeback win.  In the 1st inning today they loaded the bases with 1 out, the batter hit a ball down the third base line that went about 30 maybe 40 feet.  It started out just foul but was heading towards the line to be a fair ball.  The Mets pitcher swatted the ball towards the dugout just as the ball touched the line to be a fair ball.  All 3 runners scored and the batter ended up on 2nd.

Pittsburgh Pirates swipe 3 runs off bizarre mistake by New York Mets pitcher Taijuan Walker

5 hours ago, burghfan said:

Well the Pirates had an interesting 3 innings.  Last night they scored 9 runs in the last 2 innings capped off by a walk-off grand slam to win seal the comeback win.  In the 1st inning today they loaded the bases with 1 out, the batter hit a ball down the third base line that went about 30 maybe 40 feet.  It started out just foul but was heading towards the line to be a fair ball.  The Mets pitcher swatted the ball towards the dugout just as the ball touched the line to be a fair ball.  All 3 runners scored and the batter ended up on 2nd.

Pittsburgh Pirates swipe 3 runs off bizarre mistake by New York Mets pitcher Taijuan Walker

Saw the video of earlier….That was crazy!

14 hours ago, burghfan said:

Proof that Exit Velocity does not always tell the whole story.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

Scary stuff in DC last night.

Saw this on the news last night. So the shooting was outside the stadium. Why were people running out of the stadium and into the streets, where the shooting took place. Safest place to be was in the stadium! 

29 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Saw this on the news last night. So the shooting was outside the stadium. Why were people running out of the stadium and into the streets, where the shooting took place. Safest place to be was in the stadium! 

If I heard correctly they were directing them to use gates not near the shooting site.  At first they were not even sure if the incident was inside or outside so that was what they came up with, get out of the stadium at a location away from where we heard the shots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JudgeBrown said:

Proof that Exit Velocity does not always tell the whole story.

I think the velocity of the pitcher flipping the ball away was faster than the velocity of the ball out of the batters box.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

It doesn't matter what you call them they still won't win a World Series.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, clemente3000 said:

No, they won’t. 
Your sons and your daughters are beyond your command, my friend. 

Should have said they will always be the Indians to me! I just the Chiefs and Braves will be next.

On 7/24/2021 at 11:05 AM, Jimmy James said:

Should have said they will always be the Indians to me! I just the Chiefs and Braves will be next.

Yes, I knew that's what you meant.  Just giving you a poke. :D  My daughter, her spouse, and their friends who are Cleveland residents and season ticket holders are very happy with the change.  I'm sure there are lots of folks on both sides of the fence on this - and plenty of folks who wanted a name change who do not like the Guardians.  My daughter likes the Guardians because she used to walk across the Hope Memorial Bridge (where the Guardian sculptures stand) from her house to the ballpark.

As a Chiefs fan since the AFL days, I would fully support a name change.