Greasy Lake Community

The Official MLB 2021 thread

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I gave $101.00. What a great museum! If you ever near KC check it out. 

#ICallBullshit If it can't be an "official" no hitter, then how does baseball call it a shut out, a complete game and a win?   I understand not calling that a "no hitter" if the game had a weathe

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Ouch!

You know it is long gone when the people in the outfield stands turn around to watch it.

12 minutes ago, burghfan said:

You know it is long gone when the people in the outfield stands turn around to watch it.

Needed a soundtrack at the end of car alarms going off, like Main Point '75 :D 

• Haha 1

“It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone.”—A.B. Giamatti

"And they'll walk out to the bleachers, and sit in shirt-sleeves on a perfect afternoon. They'll find they have reserved seats somewhere along one of the baselines, where they sat when they were children and cheered their heroes. And they'll watch the game, and it'll be as if they'd dipped themselves in magic waters. The memories will be so thick, they'll have to brush them away from their faces."

Jimmy, I will be at the game this afternoon with my wife and two of my kids rooting on the Reds.  Very happy and blessed to be able to see live baseball again but it is turning out to be the coldest or one of the coldest opening days in Reds' history.  I think we will top out at 39F today.

I'm not expecting great things out of my club this year....probably just sit back and watch the Cards clobber them again.  But, baseball is baseball, and as long as it's Opening Day, there is still hope!  :) 

GO REDS!!!!!

• Bruuuuce! 1
7 minutes ago, sonicramone said:

Jimmy, I will be at the game this afternoon with my wife and two of my kids rooting on the Reds.  Very happy and blessed to be able to see live baseball again but it is turning out to be the coldest or one of the coldest opening days in Reds' history.  I think we will top out at 39F today.

I'm not expecting great things out of my club this year....probably just sit back and watch the Cards clobber them again.  But, baseball is baseball, and as long as it's Opening Day, there is still hope!  :) 

GO REDS!!!!!

Every team should win their home opener! Good Luck. 

I remember when The Red's opened up the season (only game played) for years. Don't remember when that tradition stopped? 

Cardinals may win their weak division, but that's about all!  

12 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

"And they'll walk out to the bleachers, and sit in shirt-sleeves on a perfect afternoon.

For your club at The Stick should that be "and sit in their winter coats" 

Just now, Jimmy James said:

Every team should win their home opener! Good Luck. 

I remember when The Red's opened up the season (only game played) for years. Don't remember when that tradition stopped? 

Cardinals may win their weak division, but that's about all!  

Reds still get their first game at home, but about ten years ago when MLB started doing a Sunday night ESPN game as the first game of the season, the tradition ended.

Now, they are just another opening day game, but we do parades, flyovers, etc. still (no parade this year though).  13,000 allowed in the stadium, mandatory masking....though that sounds like overreach since we will not have anyone sitting by us except our group...and we'll be outside.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, sonicramone said:

Reds still get their first game at home, but about ten years ago when MLB started doing a Sunday night ESPN game as the first game of the season, the tradition ended.

Now, they are just another opening day game, but we do parades, flyovers, etc. still (no parade this year though).  13,000 allowed in the stadium, mandatory masking....though that sounds like overreach since we will not have anyone sitting by us except our group...and we'll be outside.

Have a great day my friend! 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

For your club at The Stick should that be "and sit in their winter coats" 

The Croix de Candlestick is an award pin that was given out to baseball fans as they exited Candlestick Park at the conclusion of a night game that went extra innings.  In reference to the ballpark's legendarily cold winds, the pin carried the motto, "Veni, Vidi, Vixi" ("I came, I saw, I survived").

In order to receive a pin, the fans would have to redeem their ticket stub for the pin at Patrick & Co. Stationery store in San Francisco. The pin, developed by team marketing director Patrick J. Gallagher, was first issued in 1983. In 1983 the San Francisco Giants played in five extra inning night games, with a total attendance of 70,933 and in 1984 they played in five extra inning night games with a total attendance of 44,031. The pin was given out for several years. 

(Yes I have three of these.)

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

The Croix de Candlestick is an award pin that was given out to baseball fans as they exited Candlestick Park at the conclusion of a night game that went extra innings.  In reference to the ballpark's legendarily cold winds, the pin carried the motto, "Veni, Vidi, Vixi" ("I came, I saw, I survived").

In order to receive a pin, the fans would have to redeem their ticket stub for the pin at Patrick & Co. Stationery store in San Francisco. The pin, developed by team marketing director Patrick J. Gallagher, was first issued in 1983. In 1983 the San Francisco Giants played in five extra inning night games, with a total attendance of 70,933 and in 1984 they played in five extra inning night games with a total attendance of 44,031. The pin was given out for several years. 

(Yes I have three of these.)

Mark Twain, once said, "The Coldest Winter he'd ever spent was a Summer in SF"!