Greasy Lake Community

The Official MLB 2021 thread

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

#ICallBullshit If it can't be an "official" no hitter, then how does baseball call it a shut out, a complete game and a win?   I understand not calling that a "no hitter" if the game had a weathe

A Pittsburgh sports personality gives his view. IT’S A NO-HITTER, SO SHUT UP I think @JudgeBrown will like this part of the article. The 2020 MLB season was 60 games. Does that mean Los

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, burghfan said:

Today is the best chance the Pirates have at being over .500 some time this year.

Good luck.

In NY we take pride in that

image.thumb.jpeg.187146a5adf4a0beaa1529346be75ee3.jpeg

6 hours ago, burghfan said:

Today is the best chance the Pirates have at being over .500 some time this year.

They are in first place, at least for a day.

cv.png

Well technically they pulled it from Georgia as the braves don’t play in Atlanta anymore... way out in the suburbs

as long as the gov can go bowling he will still be happy

On 4/1/2021 at 7:52 PM, burghfan said:

They are in first place, at least for a day.

cv.png

And now the Reds and Cubs have gone worst to first.  Every team in the NL Central has been in first place at some time this season.  Also, every team has been in last place.

cv.png

sort of linked to MLB

The minor league affiliate of the Braves are apparently now called the Gwinnett Stripers

The headline in the paper said "Stripers are hiring for all positions"

at first glance i thought it said Strippers are Hiring :o

So MLB, just moved the ASG to Colorado, which actually has stricter voting laws than what Georgia just passed. :lol:, picture ID required and less early voting time.  

25 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

So MLB, just moved the ASG to Colorado, which actually has stricter voting laws than what Georgia just passed. :lol:, picture ID required and less early voting time.  

Please do not fall for the stupid "what about-ism" thrown at you by the FOX news you admit to relying on. GA conducted an election that the Republican state officials charged with overseeing it (Secretary of State Raffensberger, Chief Operating Officer for the Sec. of State's office Sterling) said at the time was secure and fair. These changes in law are a transparent attempt to make things harder, not easier.

Personally I will say that the ID issues are a distraction, Other provisions of the new GA law are far more concerning

CO allows same-day voter registration., while GA requires 29 days prior (so does FL, btw :( https://www.vote.org/voter-registration-deadlines/

CO sends each registered voter an absentee ballot AUTOMATICALLY. The new GA law forbids that. And the ID requirement is NOT what you wrote above. I'm guessing you are just regurgitating what FOX fed you. As with all regurgitated food, it smells bad. See p. 6 in the link for the ID definition - https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/info_center/laws/Title1/Title1.pdf [N.B. That's the full 519 pages of election law.]

And there is no provision in CO law for the state legislature to throw out a county elections board and take over, such as in the new GA law.

WaPo summary - https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/04/06/colorado-voting-laws-vs-georgia/

Excerpt, re ID: 

It’s not really that difficult to explain, though. Colorado has what the National Conference of State Legislatures calls a “non-strict” voter ID law for in-person early voting. Voters can produce a number of different types of ID, including ones without photos. And if they don’t have ID, they can vote via provisional ballot, at which time elections officials are charged with verifying their eligibility.

Georgia’s in-person ID requirement, by contrast, is a “strict” law, requiring photo ID. If a voter doesn’t have one, they can cast a provisional ballot, but they still have to produce a photo ID to a county registrar within three days.

But this is also somewhat apples-to-oranges. The voter ID law at issue in Georgia isn’t for in-person voting; it’s for mail-in voting. Georgia is going to require a driver’s license number, social security number or other ID on absentee ballots — provisions that some allege may disenfranchise Black voters. Colorado sometimes requires ID to vote by mail, but only when someone casts a mail ballot for the first time, and again the list of acceptable IDs is significantly broader.

The comparison between Colorado’s in-person ID requirement and Georgia’s new absentee requirement mostly falls short, though, for one main reason: Colorado conducts its elections almost entirely by mail. All registered voters receive absentee ballots automatically, and as many as 99 percent of people who vote use that option.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, JimCT said:

Please do not fall for the stupid "what about-ism" thrown at you by the FOX news you admit to relying on. GA conducted an election that the Republican state officials charged with overseeing it (Secretary of State Raffensberger, Chief Operating Officer for the Sec. of State's office Sterling) said at the time was secure and fair. These changes in law are a transparent attempt to make things harder, not easier.

Personally I will say that the ID issues are a distraction, Other provisions of the new GA law are far more concerning

CO allows same-day voter registration., while GA requires 29 days prior (so does FL, btw :( https://www.vote.org/voter-registration-deadlines/

CO sends each registered voter an absentee ballot AUTOMATICALLY. The new GA law forbids that. And the ID requirement is NOT what you wrote above. I'm guessing you are just regurgitating what FOX fed you. As with all regurgitated food, it smells bad. See p. 6 in the link for the ID definition - https://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/info_center/laws/Title1/Title1.pdf [N.B. That's the full 519 pages of election law.]

And there is no provision in CO law for the state legislature to throw out a county elections board and take over, such as in the new GA law.

WaPo summary - https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/04/06/colorado-voting-laws-vs-georgia/

Excerpt, re ID: 

It’s not really that difficult to explain, though. Colorado has what the National Conference of State Legislatures calls a “non-strict” voter ID law for in-person early voting. Voters can produce a number of different types of ID, including ones without photos. And if they don’t have ID, they can vote via provisional ballot, at which time elections officials are charged with verifying their eligibility.

Georgia’s in-person ID requirement, by contrast, is a “strict” law, requiring photo ID. If a voter doesn’t have one, they can cast a provisional ballot, but they still have to produce a photo ID to a county registrar within three days.

But this is also somewhat apples-to-oranges. The voter ID law at issue in Georgia isn’t for in-person voting; it’s for mail-in voting. Georgia is going to require a driver’s license number, social security number or other ID on absentee ballots — provisions that some allege may disenfranchise Black voters. Colorado sometimes requires ID to vote by mail, but only when someone casts a mail ballot for the first time, and again the list of acceptable IDs is significantly broader.

The comparison between Colorado’s in-person ID requirement and Georgia’s new absentee requirement mostly falls short, though, for one main reason: Colorado conducts its elections almost entirely by mail. All registered voters receive absentee ballots automatically, and as many as 99 percent of people who vote use that option.

@JimCT  Love your approach to this, but there are some serious bones of contention here especially in the “racist” angle introduced by the left.  

Here is a very fair, straight-forward article from ABC News regarding the reality of the new GA law.  Jim Crow on steroids?  I dont think so. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/breaking-claims-georgias-election-law-true/story?id=76897349&cid=clicksource_4380645_3_heads_hero_live_hero_hed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, sonicramone said:

@JimCT  Love your approach to this, but there are some serious bones of contention here especially in the “racist” angle introduced by the left.  

Here is a very fair, straight-forward article from ABC News regarding the reality of the new GA law.  Jim Crow on steroids?  I dont think so. https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/breaking-claims-georgias-election-law-true/story?id=76897349&cid=clicksource_4380645_3_heads_hero_live_hero_hed

There's a reason there is no longer a Fight Club. I have zero interest in testing boundaries by responding to you or JJ further on this. My initial response to JJ was limited in scope for that specific reason.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, JimCT said:

There's a reason there is no longer a Fight Club. I have zero interest in testing boundaries by responding to you or JJ further on this. My initial response to JJ was limited in scope for that specific reason.

I only engage yo honor the memory of @bbb  He’s the man!!!

• Bruuuuce! 2
23 hours ago, JimCT said:

There's a reason there is no longer a Fight Club.

there is.  Some people couldn't control their impulses.  And even that was tolerated for 20 years

Joe Musgrove of the Padres tosses the 1st no-no of the season.  It is the 1st ever no-hitter for the Padres.  San Diego got him in the off-season from the Pirates in a 3 team trade that also included the Mets.

Padres get: RHP Joe Musgrove
Mets get: LHP Joey Lucchesi
Pirates get: OF Hudson Head, RHP David Bednar, LHP Omar Cruz, RHP Drake Fellows from the Padres and C/OF Endy Rodriguez from the Mets