Greasy Lake Community

Born To Run/Meeting Across The Water Eire 7inch

andy63

Hi. Been a long time member but not a contributer, sorry. Just usually come here to find out info when something is happening, eg tour/ album release/ tv appearance etc.

I started to catalogue my vinyl collection with a view to sell as its just been in storage for years and need to make space.

Anyway I came across this 7 inch copy of Born To Run  from Ireland  and had never noticed the mistake on the b side title . The cover has it listed correctly.  Just wondering if anyone has seen it before and how common it is.

Thanks

20210131_141724.jpg

I once had, and sold at a Bruce Convention, a vinyl with Janey Don't You Lose Heat. That could well have been Irish, too.

It paid for my weekend. Crikey, that was 30 years ago!

Found another copy of this single in my collection,  as part of a limited Irish 4 pack.  This 4 pack is listed on discogs.  This is a quote from their notes section.

"The packaging of the four 7" contained absurd errors and misspellings ("Meeting Across The Water", "Head Up Without A Gun", "V. Landay", "Steve Van Landt") and had overall inferior vinyl quality, so it was withdrawn"

Although it was withdrawn don't think its as rare as I had hoped as its been sold for £4 in the past.

3 hours ago, andy63 said:

Found another copy of this single in my collection,  as part of a limited Irish 4 pack.  This 4 pack is listed on discogs.  This is a quote from their notes section.

"The packaging of the four 7" contained absurd errors and misspellings ("Meeting Across The Water", "Head Up Without A Gun", "V. Landay", "Steve Van Landt") and had overall inferior vinyl quality, so it was withdrawn"

Although it was withdrawn don't think its as rare as I had hoped as its been sold for £4 in the past.

Oh thats a shame, still a nice item to have either for yourself or a collector

• 2 months later...

Just popping in because I think you found less than stellar information on your find.  

These “4-Pacs” were imported from Ireland and sold in US along with several other hot bands of the era. New, they didn’t sell for more than $20 at the time.  I know of several different U2 packs, a Clash pack, and there may well be several others.  

With the picture sleeve, it is pretty rare in mint condition, and not common in any state.  The BTR sleeve (and Prove It All Night) is exclusive to Ireland.  The complete 4-Pack in excellent condition with the plastic sleeve and header goes for around $275 US.   The Discog listing for past sale pricing is currently inaccurate because of a poor merge of duplicate listings. ‘Orphan’ copies of individual 45s can be occasionally found, especially in Europe, but the entire set IS rare.  Match a clean copy with a clean sleeve and it’s easily a $40 disc.  

- - This from one who owns a complete set, has single orphan copies like yours, and has sold spanking mint sleeves (only) (bought in Ireland in the mid 1980’s) for BTR & Prove It for as much as $35 each back in the day on eBay and trade shows.    

But if you really still feel it’s near worthless, I’ll pay you that $6 for each copy.  :-)

It’s rare.  Hold onto it and enjoy it. There were never a lot of Irish pressings of Springsteen 45s, either by release or number of pressings over the years.  Later Irish 45s will have red labels, a standardized color with other EU releases. This (BTR) copy was issued in the mid to late 1980s.  The screwy labels are screwy labels, the 2 above mentioned sleeves laughably look like they were made with Paint Shop Pro #1 in someone’s basement. (There is NO other sleeve anywhere for any other country’s release of Prove It, and the funky BTR sleeve design is unique.) But they are real and CBS authorized.  It’s a nice little gem, even if you don’t own the entire set.  (Insert thumb-up emoji here)

15 hours ago, Alan said:

There is NO other sleeve anywhere for any other country’s release of Prove It, and the funky BTR sleeve design is unique.

I'm a little puzzled by this without the actual Irish picture sleeves posted in this topic, and/or maybe I misunderstand what you are saying, but: there were several releases in other countries of Prove It All Night with a picture sleeve. And different ones, too.

Yes, a correction. 

My partial bad.  Serves me right for using my phone at 2:00 am to post a diatribe. - My brains they rattled and my bones they shaked. -  (Two lashes with one of Vinnie’s drum sticks and a bend in my Dancing US picture sleeve as punishment.)
Its The Promised Land, not Prove It.   Bruce’s fault for confusing me by using “P” words in the title of multiple Darkness songs combined with Apple Spellcheck and my early AM proofreading decision ‘Don’t Look Back’.  

Both sleeves look like juvenile cut and paste 1970s mark-ups, but are real.  

As there was no UK picture sieve to use in the 4-Pack, and no Promised Land sleeve period (might well be a ‘found’ sleeve for a Bolivian or Costa Rican pressing discovered the past 10 years) (and here goes a very broad, unsubstantiated assumption but logical)  the powers that be at CBS Ireland at the time just created - threw together -their own.  

There are more scans on Discogs, and if you search eBay or Popsyche (sp) you can find better photos and sales info. 

Even without the plastic sleeve and header, you may be able to find the two additional singles in stores, auctions or fairs and put together the complete set of 4.  The sleeves are easily mistaken for the common UK releases and might be sold cheaply on your side of the pond.   

image.jpeg.2cc75debdd861fa010ee55d52f4c3965.jpeg

image.jpeg.d30c3423c1109e5461352c6e470a4ee2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi Alan.

Firstly thanks for your posts and the additional info. Secondly just like to say sorry for the delay in replying. I locked my self out of my account and after a couple of tries to sort it out forgot about it until a got a msg of someone else.

Andy