Greasy Lake Community

The ultimate song to convert the non believers ....

.... has to be this version of Twist and Shout. If you could bottle up the atmosphere , enthusiasm , and sheer joy of this performance , it would be an elixir for the world. I can’t recall seeing 2 giants of rock look like they are having as much fun as Sting and Gabriel ... and the crowd oh my oh my :wub::wub::wub:

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 3

Quarter To Three from Largo 1978 video.

(Others might say: Quarter To Three from No Nukes; and nothing wrong with that, of course).

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

.... has to be this version of Twist and Shout. If you could bottle up the atmosphere , enthusiasm , and sheer joy of this performance , it would be an elixir for the world. I can’t recall seeing 2 giants of rock look like they are having as much fun as Sting and Gabriel ... and the crowd oh my oh my :wub::wub::wub:

OMG ..... I thought i may not have ever needed to hear another Twist And Shout .... This is unbelievable .... Perfect Sound and Picture and such a classic performance and even having Sting help on the James Brown Exhaustion bit at the end ......Cannot BELIEVE ive never seen this ..... Thanks ! 

I have no idea

My opinion is usless as ive never converted anyone and ive given up trying

For me it was hearing the river on the radio many years after having owned BITUSA on cassette 

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, burghfan said:

Whatever you do don't play them anything off of Western Stars.

@Jertucky and @judyg will agree with me on this.

I don't know, if they were a country music fan and really loved Glen Campbell i might 

But as i said before my conversion tally is at zero

Theres an amazing version of Twist and Shout on the Ames Iowa 1984 show somebody recently posted  on the bootlegs thread. Heartily recommend that show amazing sound & atmosphere

However I'd steer clear of the big covers for this project. Twist/Santa Claus/Raise Your Hand etc... some non-fans see Bruce as a corny jukebox covers merchant.

The covers he made his own, different thing altogether - Trapped, It's My Life, Who'll Stop The Rain - then throw a couple of curve balls in there - Sad Eyes and The Wall

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

Subjective, but the official BTR takes some beating.  Superb editing.

Agree! That video did a great job of capturing and conveying what that tour had been like and it's still a buzz whenever you catch it now! 

• Like 1

I will cheat by picking Atlantic City and then playing all the different versions(including live in Dublin) to showcase his brilliance.

As for Video I am partial to Dream Baby Dream which captures both the his and the Bands performance and the sheer joy and delight of the audience. Never fails to bring a tear to my eyes watching the crowds reactions.

• Like 4

Jungleland, The River, Born to Run, Thunder Road, Badlands.

If anyone isn't converted after after listening to any of the above they never will be.

• Like 2

I usually slip in something from live 75-85, quite often The River with monologue. It kind of depends on the person though. Some people don’t pay attention to the lyrics only the music whereas others want to know the meaning behind the songs. 
Independence Day has hooked a few of my friends that were working through their relationship with their fathers. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, jukeblue said:

Theres an amazing version of Twist and Shout on the Ames Iowa 1984 show somebody recently posted  on the bootlegs thread. Heartily recommend that show amazing sound & atmosphere

However I'd steer clear of the big covers for this project. Twist/Santa Claus/Raise Your Hand etc... some non-fans see Bruce as a corny jukebox covers merchant.

The covers he made his own, different thing altogether - Trapped, It's My Life, Who'll Stop The Rain - then throw a couple of curve balls in there - Sad Eyes and The Wall

Its my life is a killer cover ! :wub:

Apart from direct family members who have no choice but to accompany you on long distance car rides, has anyone ever actually convertered anyone ?

I actually spent a fortune gifting cds :(

Even Patti CDs 

19 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I tell you, if the first thing i had seen since 1985 was the banjo and washboard caper .....:unsure:

Now, that's funny! But i do enjoy the Seger band every now and then.

• Like 1

My partner was converted after seeing Bruce & the band live.

I remember Christmas 1986 hearing that live box set for the first time. It was a true treasure chest. For me it's the live experience.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1