Greasy Lake Community

The ultimate song to convert the non believers ....

18 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Apart from direct family members who have no choice but to accompany you on long distance car rides, has anyone ever actually convertered anyone ?

I actually spent a fortune gifting cds :(

Even Patti CDs 

Believe me, I've tried. But they all say, yes we all know Dancing in the Dark, Glory Days, Hungry Heart. 

• Sad 1
26 minutes ago, larf said:

I usually slip in something from live 75-85, quite often The River with monologue. It kind of depends on the person though. Some people don’t pay attention to the lyrics only the music whereas others want to know the meaning behind the songs. 
Independence Day has hooked a few of my friends that were working through their relationship with their fathers. 

Man, I'd forgotten how much I love that intro.

He should've built a song around that.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Apart from direct family members who have no choice but to accompany you on long distance car rides, has anyone ever actually convertered anyone ?

I actually spent a fortune gifting cds :(

Even Patti CDs 

I don’t know that I converted anyone but I have introduced Bruce to at least two people who became big fans afterwards and I’ve been lucky to share concert experiences with many of my best friends.  Even if they didn’t all “get it”, I think most of them got a kick out of seeing how much Bruce meant to me and were glad to have shared the experience. 

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 2
19 hours ago, burghfan said:

Whatever you do don't play them anything off of Western Stars.

@Jertucky and @judyg will agree with me on this.

My up until recently non Bruce fan sister who is six years younger than me and had to put up with my Bruce obsession from since I was a teenager, was completely changed by Western Stars. Actually it was Springsteen on Broadway that really did it, but Western Stars she played continually two summers ago when it was released. She now listens to Bruce music all the time and I am actually now able to have a discussion with her about certain albums and songs. If someone even five years ago had said that would have been happening I would have laughed my head off. 

I think Western Stars is actually one of the best albums to convert people to Bruce. It's melodic and accessible to many. The songs, especially the tunes, stay in your head. People can easily forget lyrics, very ,very few people forget a melody. Western Stars in my opinion is full of great songs and has proved to be a big converter in my immediate family.

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Believe me, I've tried. But they all say, yes we all know Dancing in the Dark, Glory Days, Hungry Heart. 

Ive been quite surprised when people also mention streets of Philadelphia (ive never seen it - only the video)

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Do you want to know a secrete ?

Even though a lot of my freinds i went to school with do, i do not remember hungry heart on the radio

2 hours ago, larf said:

I don’t know that I converted anyone but I have introduced Bruce to at least two people who became big fans afterwards and I’ve been lucky to share concert experiences with many of my best friends.  Even if they didn’t all “get it”, I think most of them got a kick out of seeing how much Bruce meant to me and were glad to have shared the experience. 

Well done !

Did they go on to buy any albums ?

After Bruce has toured here there is always a bump in sales

They would be more if i was in charge - i guess its kind of irrelevant now with silly spotify etc but would it have hurt the music counters to stock a few albums from the back catalogue to coincide with the tour dates ?

Marketing geniuses - not ! :angry:

• Sad 1
2 hours ago, Sean McNeill said:

My partner was converted after seeing Bruce & the band live.

I remember Christmas 1986 hearing that live box set for the first time. It was a true treasure chest. For me it's the live experience.

Well done Sean

Its not at all easy living with some one who doesn't even like Bruce so i aplaud your win on this

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Well done !

They would be more if i was in charge - i guess its kind of irrelevant now with silly spotify etc but would it have hurt the music counters to stock a few albums from the back catalogue to coincide with the tour dates ?

One of them would have most albums and has been to about 10 shows.  Not sure about my other friend but she has been to several concerts.

• Bruuuuce! 1
1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Well done !

No Marketing geniuses there indeed

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Well done Sean

Its not at all easy living with some one who doesn't even like Bruce so i aplaud your win on this

In 1999 my Parents went to 2/3 of the Chicago stand with another guy, Dan Brown (rip) who happened to be a large Springsteen fan, and my Mom didn't understand why anyone wanted to see the same band two nights in a row? Fortunately she understands why, but still feel asleep at SoB during a "slow song" I don't fault her its not everyone's cup of tea:unsure:. Although I believe I know who taught me how to fall asleep during concerts, second city performances, or just things that you shouldn't sleep through. (Sorry Mom, I still love you I'm just surprised what you sleep through).:lol:

• Sad 1
On 2/1/2021 at 1:29 AM, Lampi said:

Quarter To Three from Largo 1978 video. (Others might say: Quarter To Three from No Nukes; and nothing wrong with that, of course).

Not only Quarter To Three, but also The River and Thunder Road from No Nukes, of course.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

Its kind of a cheat but i know people that don't love Bruce that really liked Seeger.

Every time I say this I get slammed, but it's only a message board. 

My wife goes with me to most Bruce shows, she's not a big fan, she goes to shows as she knows its a good time. Just not fans like us. But she loves Western Stars. And I bet a lot of people like you just said love Seeger band more than RnR Bruce. The question is why? The answer is WS and Seeger Band isn't true Bruce! 

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

My wife goes with me to most Bruce shows, she's not a big fan, she goes to shows as she knows its a good time. Just not fans like us. But she loves Western Stars. And I bet a lot of people like you just said love Seeger band more than RnR Bruce. The question is why? The answer is WS and Seeger Band isn't true Bruce! 

I am actually a fan of the Seeger stuff ....But i completely agree with you .....

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I worked with an old guy at Porirua who loved seagers

He wasn't in good health (cancer) so i can't remember if he got to Auckland but i suspect for seagers he would have tried a lot harder for tickets 

That's really interesting Mrs Jimmy really enjoys WS 

On 2/2/2021 at 3:00 AM, Daisey Jeep said:

Well done Sean

Anyone who attends a Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band concert & is not converted is worth the watching.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, sleepyjoe said:

I was a hardcore non-believer until I watched the Tempe '80 clip for The River. I was in awe so I watched the entire show immediately after, and was instantly hooked.

I did have the pleasure of seeing a Darkness show ....But those River shows made me a fanatic for life

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

While I love Bruce doing Twist and Shout, I'm not sure that the way to convert a Bruce doubter is him playing a 1961 song by the Top Notes that was made more famous by The Beatles. A cover of a cover they'd say.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NorthSideJimmy said:

While I love Bruce doing Twist and Shout, I'm not sure that the way to convert a Bruce doubter is him playing a 1961 song by the Top Notes that was made more famous by The Beatles. A cover of a cover they'd say.

I hear you, but it’s not the actual song but everything around it . The improvisation the energy the build up . If I was uninitiated it would certainly grab my attention  !

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

I did have the pleasure of seeing a Darkness show ....But those River shows made me a fanatic for life

Oops ..... I guess i am past the Edit window ..... I meant i did NOT have the pleasure of seeing a Darkness show :(...Was posting in a hurry