Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

The Middle... Bruce in a Superbowl commercial


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is supposed to be my fucking electric Nebraska 

This is very sad and very disappointing. I hope he at least donates the money (assuming he got paid to do that) to some charity cause. Yes it's fine cinematography and I'm sure he means all the things

I came to this topic expecting some debate on Bruce doing a commercial. I wasn't expecting a debate on the resale value of Jeeps. Gotta love Greasy Lake.

Posted Images

Doesn’t seem this move has landed particularly well. The advert seems to have picked up a bit of stick whilst  SVZ on Twitter is saying it’s not an ad.

I don’t follow that. It’s clearly an advert. Nice message or not.

He rarely puts a foot wrong (outside of his fanbase) but this just seems really off. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Doesn’t seem this move has landed particularly well. The advert seems to have picked up a bit of stick whilst  SVZ on Twitter is saying it’s not an ad.

I don’t follow that. It’s clearly an advert. Nice message or not.

He rarely puts a foot wrong (outside of his fanbase) but this just seems really off. 
 

 

As a Jeep man, Gary says its not an add

He likes Steve too 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

It clearly is an advert though!

It is

But i can see how people might think it isnt 

I find the whole thing (the add) very inoffensive and rather nice to look at 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, my FB feed is full of negative response of this commercial. My wife was wondering what charity he would be giving this money to. If he wasn't planning on it, he will shortly.   

  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

It clearly is an advert though!

No, surely not! I'm sure the word 'Jeep' beside his foot at the 0.05 mark is a coincidence.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimmy James said:

Yep, my FB feed is full of negative response of this commercial. My wife was wondering what charity he would be giving this money to. If he wasn't planning on it, he will shortly.   

Ill have to go have a look see what peeps are saying.

Shear some Jeep love ! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, E Street nation said:

Have you heard his songs..even in the last 6 months..if i were a priest...power of prayer and others: If jesus was an only son...Living proof... the guy is religous..he talks about his catholic up bringing, thats who he is and what he chooses to sing and talk about

I don't mind him being religious or spiritual or whatever, he isn't preachy about it. I don't mind his songs about it either.

But to use religious imagery so strongly as part of a gesture to supposedly reunite us all - c'mon. We don't all have Christianity in common.  Not to mention that using religious imagery to see cars is IMO dubious at best. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Brown Eyed Boy said:

You lost, get over it.

it's just another day for me.  Now the thousands of pipefitters union workers let go after the Keystone permit got cancelled .... those guys lost

  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Its ad so much that it was paid for by a company to play on TV. I think the point some are making and I am on that team is the Super Bowl "Ad" generally is a different animal that your normal spot. Alot of companies use that spot for a message or a tribute, a more serious tone. Ala the Toyota Commercial about the Olympic Swimmer. Did you even remember or know it was a Toyota spot. In other words the "Ad' is not about the product in the very least. He never mentions the product, highlights any model jeep, any feature set, any price point, sale etc. Its basically a message sponsored by Jeep and spoken by Bruce Springsteen. Now does that make any agree or disagree with the message, that's another argument. BTW some have said it would have been more effective suing some "normal" person. Maybe but nobody would be talking about it today like they are now, and not just here. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, THUE said:

Its ad so much that it was paid for by a company to play on TV. I think the point some are making and I am on that team is the Super Bowl "Ad" generally is a different animal that your normal spot. Alot of companies use that spot for a message or a tribute, a more serious tone. Ala the Toyota Commercial about the Olympic Swimmer. Did you even remember or know it was a Toyota spot. In other words the "Ad' is not about the product in the very least. He never mentions the product, highlights any model jeep, any feature set, any price point, sale etc. Its basically a message sponsored by Jeep and spoken by Bruce Springsteen. Now does that make any agree or disagree with the message, that's another argument. BTW some have said it would have been more effective suing some "normal" person. Maybe but nobody would be talking about it today like they are now, and not just here. 

Everybody knows it was Bruce Springsteen doing an advertisement by Jeep. That’s why they did it. It’s getting them attention. Same way Bruce went on SNL and used them, playing songs from Letter to You to sell albums they used him to sell more Jeeps. Trying to rationalize it any other way is really silly to me. 
And again, I don’t care that he’s done it. He might as well have done it 35 years ago to make a buck. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

13 pages in just over a day about a bloody advert! Time for a new album already. 

Yep. But also time for a complete rethink regarding his next move. He's an old fella. LTY was a nice recycling of the ESB sound with a nod to the past, but he's better than that.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E Street nation said:

If you don't like his opinion so be it.. he has a right to express his an opinion and he has.. would people rather that we can't express opinions

Remember what brought us all here... bruce and his music.. if you don't want the opinions then just listen to his music (Thinking about it... try instrumental versions if you don't want the opinions.... and stay clear of magic and wrecking ball :lol:)

What happened to the guy who used to let the music do the talking?

  • Bruuuuce! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Promise61 said:

Yep. But also time for a complete rethink regarding his next move. He's an old fella. LTY was a nice recycling of the ESB sound with a nod to the past, but he's better than that.

I would imagine he’s spent much of the lockdown months working on new songs for future albums. If we are lucky then LTY songs might not be the only tour premiers on the next tour if we ever get one. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, E Street nation said:

Genuine question... Who the hell goes and buys a jeep because they seen an advert with Bruce Springsteen in?

Genuine question, who goes out and buys Western Stars album, just because Bruce Springsteen wrote it? :D

Does that answer your question? :P

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jimmy James said:

Genuine question, who goes out and buys Western Stars album, just because Bruce Springsteen wrote it? :D

Does that answer your question? :P

£9 for a cd £50,000 for a Jeep, still some would rather pay for a jeep than western stars :lol: (loveee western stars btw)

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Genuine question, who goes out and buys Western Stars album, just because Bruce Springsteen wrote it? :D

Does that answer your question? :P

Im pissed I financed western stars over a 60 month term. Should have it paid off in 2024

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Genuine question, who goes out and buys Western Stars album, just because Bruce Springsteen wrote it? :D

Does that answer your question? :P

At least I’d use the Jeep more than once. Though I can’t really balance my uneven coffee table with a Jeep.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

BTW: Jeep's overall are the worst car/SUV safety wise there is. Plus resale value is shit. 

Not true.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings?cmpid=TSGSNF0117&gclid=Cj0KCQiA34OBBhCcARIsAG32uvMQzAdPzYj-3SiiLV-Bc_LdR-ImvNJZUzUDa9TxFgYB81zneKxaZ94aAjgYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

 

Also, my Jeep Grand Cherokee definitely held onto it's value before I sold it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...