The Middle... Bruce in a Superbowl commercial

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is supposed to be my fucking electric Nebraska 

This is very sad and very disappointing. I hope he at least donates the money (assuming he got paid to do that) to some charity cause. Yes it's fine cinematography and I'm sure he means all the things

I came to this topic expecting some debate on Bruce doing a commercial. I wasn't expecting a debate on the resale value of Jeeps. Gotta love Greasy Lake.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, maccawings said:

Completely tone deaf ad. 

I don’t even know that it’s tone deaf. It’s just a little further exploration by Bruce into the world of performance art and not believable because he is who he is. Was he playing himself or that cowboy character from his Western Stars video? At this point, he’d be better off to claim he was just “acting” again.

• Like 1

I dont really care what side of the political spectrum this ad favors... But he must understand that people have ben weathering a pandemic for almost a year on top of political unrest and protests on top of the day to day grind. People are losing their jobs and livelihoods everyday.  Having any celebrity who has not had to leave their house except for special appearances give advice seems really off base.

11 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

I don’t even know that it’s tone deaf. It’s just a little further exploration by Bruce into the world of performance art and not believable because he is who he is. Was he playing himself or that cowboy character from his Western Stars video? At this point, he’d be better off to claim he was just “acting” again.

I believe it’s done with good intent, but I do consider it tone deaf. I don’t think I’d believe it if he claimed he was acting at this point. 

3 hours ago, rtb said:

Could it be that Bruce doesn't buy the notion that half the country are white supremecists, etc.?  

I am sure he doesn't.  Nor do I.  That is why I went on to also mention those who are willing to ignore or fail to denounce that in the interest of getting their policy agenda passed, their preferred court appointments made, owning the libs, or whatever else it is.  I have a hard time finding a palatable middle with them as well.

I didn't mind the 'orse though although a pug would have been better.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, rockaway88 said:

I dont really care what side of the political spectrum this ad favors... But he must understand that people have ben weathering a pandemic for almost a year on top of political unrest and protests on top of the day to day grind. People are losing their jobs and livelihoods everyday.  Having any celebrity who has not had to leave their house except for special appearances seems really off base.

I tend to agree.  Society is overwhelmed with crap at this point with no end in sight

20 hours ago, PaleGreenEyes said:

I thought the message of the commercial was pretty tone-deaf. If there’s anything we should learn from the last few years, it’s that there is no middle ground. Why should I want to unify with horrible people who are racist/capitalist/anti-semitic/homophobic/transphobic/etc.?

Yup.  There is no ‘reuniting’ with the authoritarian Republican Party.  Democrats do this every time they win.  Eff the GOP/Trump/the whole gang of loons.  

When Trump won the 2016 election—while losing the popular vote—the New York Times seemed obsessed with running features about what Trump voters were feeling and thinking. These pieces treated them as both an exotic species and people it was our job to understand, understand being that word that means both to comprehend and to grant some sort of indulgence to. Now that Trump has lost the 2020 election, the Los Angeles Times has given their editorial page over to letters from Trump voters, who had exactly the sort of predictable things to say we have been hearing for far more than four years, thanks to the New York Times and what came to seem like about 11,000 other news outlets hanging on the every word of every white supremacist they could convince to go on the record.

The letters editor headed this section with, “In my decade editing this page, there has never been a period when quarreling readers have seemed so implacably at odds with each other, as if they get their facts and values from different universes. As one small attempt to bridge the divide, we are providing today a page full of letters from Trump supporters.” The implication is the usual one: we—urban multiethnic liberal-to-radical only-partly-Christian America—need to spend more time understanding MAGA America. The demands do not go the other way. Fox and Ted Cruz and the Federalist have not chastised their audiences, I feel pretty confident, with urgings to enter into discourse with, say, Black Lives Matter activists, rabbis, imams, abortion providers, undocumented valedictorians, or tenured lesbians. When only half the divide is being tasked with making the peace, there is no peace to be made, but there is a unilateral surrender on offer. We are told to consider this bipartisanship, but the very word means both sides abandon their partisanship, and Mitch McConnell and company have absolutely no interest in doing that.

12 minutes ago, maccawings said:

I believe it’s done with good intent, but I do consider it tone deaf. I don’t think I’d believe it if he claimed he was acting at this point. 

Well, I can’t believe he would think he’s the right person to preach about finding middle ground, but he does have a large ego so I suppose it’s possible. It’s also possible the money was too good for him to turn down at this point.

22 minutes ago, JudgeBrown said:

I am sure he doesn't.  Nor do I.  That is why I went on to also mention those who are willing to ignore or fail to denounce that in the interest of getting their policy agenda passed, their preferred court appointments made, owning the libs, or whatever else it is.  I have a hard time finding a palatable middle with them as well.

Where do you stand on the extremists from the far left?

They seem to get a free pass by most on the liberal side of the ledger including the media. Their violence seems to get explained away, validated and even celebrated.

In my opinion the right wing riot on January 6 was treasonous but I also think it’s wrong when the the left riots as well.  I guess I’m in the Martin Luther King Jr. camp on that (despite the out of context quote by Congresswoman Cori Bush).

Did she feel that way about the riot at the Capitol? Somehow I don’t think so.

36499275-160B-40A3-B011-DD21AFBA9420.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

BTW: Jeep's overall are the worst car/SUV safety wise there is. Plus resale value is shit. 

Im not here for bussiness, im only here for fun

1 hour ago, E Street nation said:

£9 for a cd £50,000 for a Jeep, still some would rather pay for a jeep than western stars :lol: (loveee western stars btw)

NZ$80,000 is a whole lot of money :( even in nornal times

The last i saw they were doing no interest terms over 3 years 

(Still a lot of money to take it off road and get a dint in it)

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, JudgeBrown said:

Ok.   From what I’m reading not many people are interested in the reUnited States thing.  I think Bruce flew to Kansas for nothing.

..... what’s the “ ‘orse “?

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Genuine question, who goes out and buys Western Stars album, just because Bruce Springsteen wrote it? :D

Does that answer your question? :P

Not a shot. I have zero interest in Jeep no matter the mouth piece they use!

I would love to know what Jeep peeps think of the add

Gary never got into any Jeep forums (just Suzuki ones)

I got tagged this morning on my other forum (not in any way music or politically related)

Screenshot_20210209-143403.png

4 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Compared to my vehicle, not close.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/honda/pilot-4-door-suv/2021

10 hours ago, E Street nation said:

Have you heard his songs..even in the last 6 months..if i were a priest...power of prayer and others: If jesus was an only son...Living proof... the guy is religous..he talks about his catholic up bringing, thats who he is and what he chooses to sing and talk about

Of course Bruce has always used Christian and Catholic imagery in his songs and his writing. However, there is a huge difference in using religion in his songs, and using a church and solely Christian imagery as a symbol for uniting the country. It excludes those of us who are not Christian.  If the point was to urge Americans to find common ground and come together, why use imagery that excludes non-Christians? 

It’s the same thing as if Ilhan Omar did a PSA type commercial about reuniting America from a Moslem Mosque. That would not resonate with some people, and it might alienate them. 

4 hours ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Jeep Grand Cherokee will depreciate 56% after 5 years and have a 5 year resale value of $20,914. The Jeep Grand Cherokee does an OK job of holding its value, but it's not great. It outperforms its principal rival, the Ford Explorer, but it's still towards the back of the pack when meaured by its resale values.

Who buys a Jeep for resale value

Take the bloody thing off road (do your research before you buy)

56 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Jeep Grand Cherokee will depreciate 56% after 5 years and have a 5 year resale value of $20,914. The Jeep Grand Cherokee does an OK job of holding its value, but it's not great. It outperforms its principal rival, the Ford Explorer, but it's still towards the back of the pack when meaured by its resale values.

Gross Jimmy

Ford explorers are just gross

"I wanna' spit in the face of these badlands... "
"You spend half your life just covering up... "
"No home, no job, no peace, no rest... "
"You can get killed just for living in your American skin... "
"A little revenge and this too shall pass... "
"The sinking sound of something righteous going under..."
"You asked me that question  I didn't get it right..."
"Who ate the flesh of everyone they found..."
"In this house the guilty go unpunished and blood and silence prevail... "
"Sometimes folks need to believe in something so bad... so bad so so so bad... "

He might have always been conservative with a small 'c', but when has Bruce Springsteen ever stood in the middle?

I think the advert is a mistake... but, if I accept his decision and look at the content, it's an even bigger one. Tone deaf is right.