Greasy Lake Community

The Middle... Bruce in a Superbowl commercial

14 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I would love to know what Jeep peeps think of the add

Gary never got into any Jeep forums (just Suzuki ones)

I got tagged this morning on my other forum (not in any way music or politically related)

Screenshot_20210209-143403.png

Popeye likes it.  

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is supposed to be my fucking electric Nebraska 

This is very sad and very disappointing. I hope he at least donates the money (assuming he got paid to do that) to some charity cause. Yes it's fine cinematography and I'm sure he means all the things

I came to this topic expecting some debate on Bruce doing a commercial. I wasn't expecting a debate on the resale value of Jeeps. Gotta love Greasy Lake.

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Jeep Grand Cherokee will depreciate 56% after 5 years and have a 5 year resale value of $20,914. The Jeep Grand Cherokee does an OK job of holding its value, but it's not great. It outperforms its principal rival, the Ford Explorer, but it's still towards the back of the pack when meaured by its resale values.

Thanks caredge.com. 

I only commented because you said the Jeep was 'by far the worst' for safety, which it's not.  Also because you said they don't hold their resale value.  While not great (are any really great?), it does ok.

15 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Thanks caredge.com. 

I only commented because you said the Jeep was 'by far the worst' for safety, which it's not.  Also because you said they don't hold their resale value.  While not great (are any really great?), it does ok.

@Jimmy James

Most people who are “Jeep people” are more accurately Jeep Wrangler or CJ people.  Cherokees and Patriots are pretty much run of the mill SUVs.   Wranglers have legit off-road capabilities and actually hold their value very well.  Part of that is that the body style rarely changes.  A 2021 two door Wrangler looks nearly identucal to 2010 TD Wrangler.  

Here:

https://www.kbb.com/best-cars/best-resale-value-off-road-suv/

Predicted Resale Value After 5 Years of Ownership: 57.6%

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Wasted in the heat said:

Most people who are “Jeep people” are more accurately Jeep Wrangler or CJ people.  Cherokees and Patriots are pretty much run of the mill SUVs.   Wranglers have legit off-road capabilities and actually hold their value very well.  Part of that is that the body style rarely changes.  A 2021 two door Wrangler looks nearly identucal to 2010 TD Wrangler.  

Here:

Tell JJ.  I just owned a run of mill 'Grand Cherokee'.

• Hug 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Wasted in the heat said:

@Jimmy James

Here:

I agree about "Jeep People" we have one in the office here. Here is his Jeep, I would hate to pay for the tires! 

Jeep (002).jpg

• Like 2
  • Love Love Love! 1
32 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Do you think at all, Bruce woke up this morning, saying I really stepped into this time? Or is he as proud as Steven is with the ad? 

He's somewhere in The Middle of those two I'd say B)

• Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 5

It was just a stupid decision to do it. It came across as pontificating (Jontificating as Bruce once complained about Landau). And boring over up-itself pontificating at that. 

Even the pro-Bruce New Yorker said it was "just another message delivered by a rich and cloistered celebrity who has long been positioned as an Everyman savior, while he is simultaneously selling cars, partway through a football  game being held before a not insignificant crowd in the midst of a global Pandemic."

Fucking ouch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/super-bowl-music-the-weeknds-self-loathing-springsteens-jeep-and-dolly-partons-gig-economy/amp

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I agree about "Jeep People" we have one in the office here. Here is his Jeep, I would hate to pay for the tires! 

Jeep (002).jpg

Do jeep people typically put babies in the back seat with no doors?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I haven’t read all of the posts on this feed so I don’t know if this has been put up before. so here you go!:D
https://thefederalist.com/2021/02/08/the-3-worst-things-about-that-terrible-jeep-super-bowl-ad/

Sure, quote The Federalist.  Springsteen "hates" Republicans".  Do you really believe that Bruce Springsteen "hates" Republicans?  Or perhaps he strongly disagrees with the political "philosophy" of the Republican Party?  There is a distinction.  

The ad wasn't great, but I didn't see or hear in any of it any hatred towards anyone.

The GOP, as it is constituted right now, is a faction of ideologues, not a viable political party.  There is no guiding GOP platform except to "own the libs", which as we can see after four years of it, didn't work out so well.  

The Federalist is pure propaganda.    

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, rtb said:

Well Yeah!! :D

Just asked him about that. That was a weekend retreat with just him and wife. Didn't feel like taking the seat out! :) Said they only take the roof and doors off on weekends. You should see his pully system he has in his garage to take the roof off. It's a hardtop! 

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Floom2 said:

The GOP, as it is constituted right now, is a faction of ideologues, not a viable political party.  There is no guiding GOP platform except to "own the libs", which as we can see after four years of it, didn't work out so well.

And the Democrats have 1.4 million great ideas and another 11,000 great ideas. 

BTW: GOP did have a platform: America First! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Floom2 said:

Sure, quote The Federalist.  Springsteen "hates" Republicans".  Do you really believe that Bruce Springsteen "hates" Republicans?  Or perhaps he strongly disagrees with the political "philosophy" of the Republican Party?  There is a distinction.  

The ad wasn't great, but I didn't see or hear in any of it any hatred towards anyone.

I just laughed when I read it. It’s like a written version of that crazy channel Fox! Factually incorrect - Bruce has been a success 5 decades not 4 and what’s with the bitchiness over plastic surgery ? :D

1 hour ago, NorthSideJimmy said:

It was just a stupid decision to do it. It came across as pontificating (Jontificating as Bruce once complained about Landau). And boring over up-itself pontificating at that. 

Even the pro-Bruce New Yorker said it was "just another message delivered by a rich and cloistered celebrity who has long been positioned as an Everyman savior, while he is simultaneously selling cars, partway through a football  game being held before a not insignificant crowd in the midst of a global Pandemic."

Fucking ouch.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/super-bowl-music-the-weeknds-self-loathing-springsteens-jeep-and-dolly-partons-gig-economy/amp

He’s been pontificating for quite a while though, hasn’t he? Only this time he took it to the masses and not just his fans or political allies so not everybody is just clapping along because they want him to shut up and play the next song.

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

BTW: GOP did have a platform: America First! 

Are you aware of the history of that, say circa 1940? You should be ashamed to be associated with it in any form.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Do you think at all, Bruce woke up this morning 

Maybe he woke up, thinking: 'That ad gave me enough money to buy a few new 'orses for Jessica!'.

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, JimCT said:

Are you aware of the history of that, say circa 1940? You should be ashamed to be associated with it in any form.

Jimbo, It's not America ONLY it's America FIRST. Is that any form? 

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Jeep (002).jpg

We only ever took our doors off once for driving on the highway

We actually had two sets of doors

The jeep ones with the zip up/ out  windows and some after market ones that were like landrover windows

Sooooo much fun

The only thing we never did was drop the windscreen like on M*A*S*H - we don't like a face full of bugs

Tires were the bain of my existence

The 4x4s always had better shoes than me !

With our original Isuzu, we ran two sets depending on the terrain, i think we had two sets for the zook too

I remember one time before the Jeep when we had the zook - coolest toughest little thing you ever saw (till the Jeep)

It was the week before xmas and the tires were a week old

They cost God knows how much each !!! 

We were out with this new club if fucking idiots

There was this waratha (a very strong y shaped farmers metal fence standard) bent and stuck up the grass

People saw it and didn't say anything

I was so fucking pissed

We almost had that tire made into a coffee table because it was usless now for anything else

My heart is aching for the Jeep right now thanks to Bruce

Where the Jeep had a removable soft top the 413 had no top

He had had a roll over in his prevouse life 

Btw God is a Suzuki man too we had a lot of hairy moments in this one 

He was road legal just

Heaps of fun taking his doors off

They were actually woodern half doors with padbolts as door handles

Little kids loved it 

The picture is from a very rough day out in the mountains behind Wellington to the north

That was about the last time anyone went down the snowy before some big landslides

16129097241611582034083.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, rtb said:

Fuck that !

We jerked the back seat 2nd day we owned our jeep

Have to make room for all the self recovery gear 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I haven’t read all of the posts on this feed so I don’t know if this has been put up before. so here you go!:D
https://thefederalist.com/2021/02/08/the-3-worst-things-about-that-terrible-jeep-super-bowl-ad/

Fuck !

It was the best Jeep add ever ! 

4 hours ago, Floom2 said:

I have said - and also i feel it in my heart

Bruce does not hate people on the right

He knows some of his fans vote right

If you go back to an article written in the NYer back in 2012 regarding the global recession he also understands why (some of) the white working class vote right wing

He has said his own mother has voted Republican