Greasy Lake Community

The Middle... Bruce in a Superbowl commercial

Just now, Nick21 said:

I don’t understand the hate. Artistically, it’s far better than the direction of the 2009, 2013 and 2014 tours. 

Its a beautiful little film 

But please don't knock the high hopes tour - JLM finally opened up their world map and rediscovered some long neglected markets

• Love Love Love! 1

4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Its a beautiful little film 

But please don't knock the high hopes tour - JLM finally opened up their world map and rediscovered some long neglected markets

Same can be said for the markets hit on the European 2009 and 2013 legs - Tampere, Bergen, Udine, Bilbao, Seville, Benidorm, Valladolid, Santiago; Turku, Padua, Coventry, Monchengladbach, Limerick, Cork, Leeds and Kilkenny. 

But Bruce was directionless for large parts of those years. In 2009 and 2014 he had no confidence in the album material and couldn’t build a cohesive show around them. The embracing of signs (yes, that really kicked in in 2008), playing of festivals and crowd surfing etc. felt like a pandering to the masses. In 2013, whether it was WB fatigue or the realisation of Father Time, the switch to full album shows led to some incredibly jarring, disjointed sets and a nostalgia fest.

Given all this (and the Walmart Greatest Hits etc etc.) I’d say that it’s a huge surprise that we’ve waited until 2021 for Bruce to endorse a product. Given the climate crisis I’d have preferred that it wasn’t a car - but the synergy between them and his songwriting make it a natural choice. You can’t fault him for the authenticity. I look forward to watching the advert in real time tonight on the CBS broadcast to get a real feel for how it fits in with the occasion of the SB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nick21 said:

Same can be said for the markets hit on the European 2009 and 2013 legs - Tampere, Bergen, Udine, Bilbao, Seville, Benidorm, Valladolid, Santiago; Turku, Padua, Coventry, Monchengladbach, Limerick, Cork, Leeds and Kilkenny. 

But Bruce was directionless for large parts of those years. In 2009 and 2014 he had no confidence in the album material and couldn’t build a cohesive show around them. The embracing of signs (yes, that really kicked in in 2008), playing of festivals and crowd surfing etc. felt like a pandering to the masses. In 2013, whether it was WB fatigue or the realisation of Father Time, the switch to full album shows led to some incredibly jarring, disjointed sets and a nostalgia fest.

Given all this (and the Walmart Greatest Hits etc etc.) I’d say that it’s a huge surprise that we’ve waited until 2021 for Bruce to endorse a product. Given the climate crisis I’d have preferred that it wasn’t a car - but the synergy between them and his songwriting make it a natural choice. You can’t fault him for the authenticity. I look forward to watching the advert in real time tonight on the CBS broadcast to get a real feel for how it fits in with the occasion of the SB.

Listening to the latest nugs release its a real pleasure to have a well crafted narrative based around the then new record 

Its not like us, hard core fans don't embrace the new records, but casual fans enjoy the hits and in a market like mine casual fans puts bums on seats - not that anyone should be sitting down

Gary has gone to bed, so im going to watch the add on the laptop 

I forgot about that Wal-Mart thing 

We got our own GHs album here when he toured Aussie but not NZ durring WB

It really hurt when the Australian promoter/distributer  let us have some crumbs when we wern't allowed to sit at the table 

@Eileen i have read their is a willys Jeep somewhere in the add

Im watching it again to find it

There are only 2 jeeps in the whole thing

His own personal CJ-5 and the Willys:wub:

Got it !

For @Eileen

Around about the 28 second mark

When he's waiting for the train if you look between the wagons their is a Willys jeep in the snow on the other side

Very subtle

And nicely done

Good to see a car maker who had had humpteen different owners not forget the car's roots

Edit

Of course its upside bloody down :angry:

20210207_234607.jpg

• Like 1

He's advertising stuff.

Wonderful message.

He's advertising. He climbed aboard a private plane to make people with oodles of money more money.

I don't give a flip - but the circumstances, ye gads. Good job I'm old and a tad befuddled - matters less.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Eileen said:

You call that a Jeep? THIS is a Jeep .. ;)

Bruce doing an ad - hahaha - marvellous!

jeep.jpg

We had one like that in our club

There was a whole lot of US army vehicles burried in a,paddock somewhere in greater Wellington after the war, but a lucky few went to farms

Anyone this one is in beautuful condition, completly unmodified to keep it 100% authentic but unfortunately its not overly capable being so low slung so is relagated to the eaisest trips

One day we were coming back on the highway with it in our group and a brand new grand Cherokee drove past - would have never even tasted any dirt

The people in it didn't even notice the Willys drive past

A fucking disgrace

We read about how freindly the wider jeep comunity is in America aka the slogan - Jeep - its a way of life - but here way  too many pretentious coffee drinking school run hoping arseholes drive them 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eileen said:

He's advertising stuff.

Wonderful message.

He's advertising. He climbed aboard a private plane to make people with oodles of money more money.

I don't give a flip - but the circumstances, ye gads. Good job I'm old and a tad befuddled - matters less.

Yes. It's a strange turn of events. I'm sure we'll get an explanation at some point and the rationale behind it. 

Not that it matters, but the biggie for me is if he got paid to do it.

• Like 1

Ok, silly question coming up. Is this why he was in Nebraska last week? Oh, this is meant to be in Kansas isn't it, so I've answered my own question? He must have made this advert a while ago?

There are parts of it that look like they were filmed during the Western Stars film - I'm sure I've seen that horse before? And the snow ... or was that Letter To You? 

Answers please :lol:

• Haha 1

Just now, janeymarywendy said:

Ok, silly question coming up. Is this why he was in Nebraska last week? Oh, this is meant to be in Kansas isn't it, so I've answered my own question? He must have made this advert a while ago?

There are parts of it that look like they were filmed during the Western Stars film - I'm sure I've seen that horse before? And the snow ... or was that Letter To You? 

Yes

Not filmimg for Nebraska

Part of the jeep add was filmed there

1 minute ago, janeymarywendy said:

There are so many stories now i can't find the right one but in one of the first links posted (by me) it tells you the filming locations

This isnt it but you'll get the gist of it

Honestly ive been waiting ages for every one to turn up !.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/chrysler/2021/02/07/bruce-springsteen-super-bowl-jeep-ad-the-middle/4412665001/

6 minutes ago, Promise61 said:

Yes. It's a strange turn of events. I'm sure we'll get an explanation at some point and the rationale behind it. 

Not that it matters, but the biggie for me is if he got paid to do it.

Wouldn't it be just as bad if he did it for free for Stellantis/ Peugeot/ Fiat (who ever the hell they are)

Thom Zimmy needs to get paid,  Ron Amadeo needs paid, JLM will need paid 

2 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Ah, so he travelled between Nebraska and Kansas but they're next to each other (I studied the map ;)) so that's ok ... isn't it? Hope he took his mask with him :)

I was thinking the private jet was probably the safest way to travel 

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I was thinking the private jet was probably the safest way to travel 

The safest way to travel is not to unless vitally important.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

I mean at the end 

To the Reunited states of America

I mean that's fucking beautiful

That's so Bruce

That's so what America needs right now 

Jeep just paid for us to get a very well made  Springsteen production

• Like 2

Just now, Eileen said:

The safest way to travel is not to unless vitally important.

The super bowl seems to be very important

(i don't want to upset our American freinds but imangine ive written that in pink font)

• Haha 2