Greasy Lake Community

Updated Report: DWI and Reckless Driving Charges Dismissed - lack of evidence (p 34)

There are two ways of looking at this matter and neither is mutually exclusive of the other.  First off is in regards to the behavior which resulted in the charges that were laid against Bruce Springsteen.  The behavior is egregious.  There has been more than enough public education and awareness surrounding the toxicity of driving under the influence in the past three decades where anyone whom continues to engage in such reckless behavior is clearly behaving in both an ignorant and dangerous manner.  There is no excuse for it in modern times.  That is not a "woke" comment either.  That's the evolution of society as a whole.

The second way of looking at it is the so-called "big picture".  We are speaking of a musician who has more or less courted the good graces of society throughout his career.  He has endeared himself to an audience well beyond his most ardent fans and built up enough good will where has somewhat of a "halo effect" in terms of how he's viewed by society at large.  While there will be some who will revel in the fact that yet another individual associated with what they view as seedy rock 'n' roll has been knocked down, most will know that Bruce Springsteen remains one of a few select musicians who has dedicated his career and his life to not only entertaining audiences but using his gifts to make the world a better place.  Therefore, the public at large is more apt to forgive a seventy-one year old man who has spent the better part of his adult life in their good graces largely due to his own good deeds than they would most others. 

Again there is no excuse for such behavior.  But everything that I have either learned or managed to infer from my years as a Bruce Springsteen fan tells me that he is the type of individual who learns from his mistakes.  He will likely release a statement sometime in the next 24-48 hrs addressing the matter, asking for privacy and perhaps given how forthright he's been with his public throughout his career might even go further in his address of this incident.  The long and the short of it is though that this will blow over as far as the public is concerned.  Very few people want to dislike Bruce Springsteen.  He's regarded as one of the good guys, one of us and as such is not likely to be regarded as social pariah but as a human being who made an egregious mistake.  Such is life.

• Like 7

Just in case anybody else was wondering ...

egregious

adjective

formal disapprovingUK  /ɪˈɡriː.dʒəs/ US  /ɪˈɡriː.dʒəs/

extremely bad in a way that is very noticeable:

It was an egregious error for a statesman to show such ignorance.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Boy isn't Daisey in for a surprise when she surfaces! 

She’ll be pissed off if she finds out he was driving the Jeep under the influence.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, shaggy said:

Can anyone turn up at court to watch in the states? Might be the last chance to see him for the next 5 years

In normal times, courts are open to any spectators.  In times of COVID, spectators are not allowed. In fact, many court appearances are done virtually these days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Furthermore, and this is speculation, what an earth was he doing in the current climate getting drunk in an ‘enclosed area’? I mean he has been at the forefront of encouraging people toAdhere to advice regarding the pandemic and then he goes and does something silly like this! Not good news Bruce !

Do as I say, not as I do.

image.thumb.png.e57f92c126a63cb9e60209745b85b4fa.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

Excuse to be his 'condition' blurring his better judgment and that he's very sorry and won't do it again?

I assume he’ll blame his father.....

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, judyg said:

In normal times, courts are open to any spectators.  In times of COVID, spectators are not allowed. In fact, many court appearances are done virtually these days. 

Off-topic, but this just has to be shared for anyone who hasn't seen it (and it also relates to your post):

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

I mean it’s better than him getting fingered (terrible choice of words) in the “Me too” business but it really is a horrible series of events.

Just when I was approaching unconditional love again after the last few albums he goes and pulls these capers. 

Didn’t he once slap a girlfriend across the face? Does that fit in the “me too” classification?

Just now, Jertucky said:

Didn’t he once slap a girlfriend across the face? Does that fit in the “me too” classification?

Bloody hell, it’s all coming out today.

I would say not. More “beat you” than “me too”.

Just for the record - male violence towards women is about as abhorrent as it gets before anyone has a go at this post! 

1 minute ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Just got here

I can't beleave this makes the news in NZ while a million other times when he should make the news he doesn't 

We've been yelling at you to wake up for ages! :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• JoanFontaine changed the title to Updated Report: DWI and Reckless Driving Charges Dismissed - lack of evidence (p 34)