Greasy Lake Community

The recent Nice release reminded me of the '05 piano versions of You Can Look. I revisited a boot I have that has it, and oh my, I forgot how fun those versions are! They're no '88 that's for sure... but still, for an acoustic version it was a very enjoyable listen.

33 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

Also tangent: is the general consensus that You Can Look peaked in '88, or am I the only one? lol

Not sure there is consensus, but I would say those were probably the best live versions.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
1 hour ago, sleepyjoe said:

Also tangent: is the general consensus that You Can Look peaked in '88, or am I the only one? lol

Nope peaked in 2016! 

Don't like anything from 88, but Chimes of Freedom and Boom Boom! Born to Run really! Adam really! Roulette really! IMHO of course! 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

I love the song wherever it pops up .... I did not get to a 1988 show and not seeing that You Can Look/I'm A Coward double play is one of my great Bruce regrets ..... 

I have never heard a 2005 Piano Version .... if there is a you tube please post it !!!!

23 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Nope peaked in 2016! 

Don't like anything from 88, but Chimes of Freedom and Boom Boom! Born to Run really! Adam really! Roulette really! IMHO of course! 

Be True with horns is IMO hands down the best version ever. Every version before and since is underwhelming in comparison.

Although the vocal delivery on Mary Lou is also to die for.

• Love Love Love! 1
6 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

not seeing that You Can Look/I'm A Coward double play is one of my great Bruce regrets ..... 

I can imagine! I wasn't alive back then, but just listening to the Archive releases it's one of my favorite setlist pairings of his career.

I can't find any Youtube links unfortunately... I can try sharing the boot I have somehow? Or, someone in the Bootleg Corner definitely has it because I'm pretty sure that's where I got it from. It was the Richmond VA show 2005-10-24

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

I have never heard a 2005 Piano Version .... if there is a you tube please post it !!!!

Through The Bootleg Collectors Corner topic please request the Love, Tears & Mystery - The Definitive Devils & Dust Tour Compilation Flynn compilation. It contains two different 2005 You Can Look piano versions:

October 21, Dunkin' Donuts Center, Providence, RI (with Bruce joking about his limited skills)

4503_artwork_14.thumb.jpg.738f38a6801f4ca552879472b4f369e4.jpg

With Bruce Hornsby, November 11, Constant Convocation Center, Norfolk, VA (as Springsteen tickled the ivories on "You Can Look," an unimpressed Bruce Hornsby ambled out onstage reading the newspaper. "You better be reading the want ads, Hornsby," Springsteen cried, "I'm here for your job!" The Two Bruces switched off on the grand piano, in probably the funniest bit of the tour)

4503_artwork_17.thumb.jpg.ccb8e7edb73bfd67ffaf645f12857f8b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

I've always heard Don't You Touch That Thing as a different song to YCLBYBNT, but Brucebase sees them as the same song on the '88 Tour.

Clearly they are not.

7 hours ago, Promise61 said:

I've always heard Don't You Touch That Thing as a different song to YCLBYBNT

Same here. Kind of the same way I hear the "here she comes" intro to I Wanna Marry You... a separate song that he couldn't or didn't flesh out into a complete one so he used it as an intro to another song that's mildly similar thematically. Not to knock them though. Both work great in my opinion.

• Like 1