Greasy Lake Community

Just took up guitar, appreciate any advice!

This 442

Hi Guys.  Been a Laker for a couple of years, but this is my first time posting on this forum.  I decided learning guitar would make a good quarantine hobby, so Santa brought  the family a moderately priced acoustic, and I also picked up a 3/4" size one for my 7-year old daughter.  Neither of us has ever played an instrument of any kind, so it's all brand new.

Anyway, any tips would be very much appreciated (especially five and ten dollar bills).  I'm not dead set on playing just Bruce songs, though it seems like they're a logical starting point since many have fairly simple chord progressions.  So far I've managed to butcher Glory Days, Nebraska, Downbound Train, and Waitin' on a Sunny Day (that F chord is killing me).  Any other suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

First off, good luck on your journey: I've been on my own journey since 2003

I want to echo the above regarding practice and getting a capo: the capo opens so many doors (pay no attention to those who dismiss it!)

My own personal tips: try to learn a chord a day... If only the shaping, or the strumming, or the picking, just try to keep learning: you'd be surprised how versatile you soon become with more than 3 chords to your repertoire

And a vital tip: take a break!  Some days you'll feel like you're getting nowhere fast: step away from the guitar!  Listen to some music, refresh your mind and give your fingers (and brain) a rest.  Sometimes, after a couple of days you'll pick that guitar up and think "wow, I've improved"

Most of all: enjoy it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The best advice i can give is taking all the position for the chords and play a lot regularly to learn the sounds 

Did this for the piano, don't know if it's good for the guitar too but if you listen hours of Springsteen a day you'll learn pretty quick 

• 1 month later...

I have few times started to learn to play guitar as well. Last time I tried was during the lockdown but stopped practicing again at the beginning of this year. Just too much hobbies. And indeed you need to practice everyday. I learned a few chords and actually used the free online course from  https://www.justinguitar.com/ It also has a nice app to help with practicing. I really like this method, a lot of it is for free. Can really recommend. Now I have to re-start myself again. I was at module 4/5 when I stopped last January :(

• 3 months later...