Greasy Lake Community

Bruce's vocal on Lofgren's 'Valentine'

I am exploring Bruce's collaborations with other artists and I have grown very fond of Nils Lofgren's 'Valentine' where Bruce provides backing vocals. Nice track. But it doesn't really sound like Bruce! So is there someone else besides Bruce providing backing vocals - or was our boss trying out a new vocal register? Does anyone else consider his vocal performance on this track odd?

48 minutes ago, Noeca said:

I am exploring Bruce's collaborations with other artists and I have grown very fond of Nils Lofgren's 'Valentine' where Bruce provides backing vocals. Nice track. But it doesn't really sound like Bruce! So is there someone else besides Bruce providing backing vocals - or was our boss trying out a new vocal register? Does anyone else consider his vocal performance on this track odd?

Sounds like Bruce to me. I remember I purchased a video tape of Nils' show in London because it contained this video. I ended up loving Nils' solo show a lot too.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, the highway is alive said:

It's long been rumoured that it's not Bruce on the recording, but a session singer. Bruce agreed to bill it as himself as a favour to Lofgren to boost record sales - and then he appeared in the music video as a plug. But the vocals are definitely not Bruce. 

Did you get that info out of a Christmas cracker?

• Haha 3
24 minutes ago, Eileen said:

Did you get that info out of a Christmas cracker?

That would be the most excitting Christmas cracker I'd have ever had ! 

1 minute ago, the highway is alive said:

I got it out of being a Bruce fan for over 40 years.

Same here but I must have missed that memo. Have you listened to it?

3 hours ago, the highway is alive said:

It's long been rumoured that it's not Bruce on the recording, but a session singer. Bruce agreed to bill it as himself as a favour to Lofgren to boost record sales - and then he appeared in the music video as a plug. But the vocals are definitely not Bruce. 

Sounds like a conspiracy theory.

• Haha 1

It is clear Bruce is singing - it is obvious specifically in some of the "shouting". But I will still argue that his voice is not as recognizable as usual, so to my ears there could be a 3rd vocalist mixed with Bruce's vocals.

And by the way - it really makes a difference if you see the video. When I posted I had only heard the album version and was really struggling to recognize Bruce. But when watching the video it is much clearer. Guess the mix is not different so watching him really makes a difference for the perception.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, the highway is alive said:

It is more common in the music industry than you think, and Bruce is no stranger to it. 

Oh. So you're saying that it's common for artists to do a "guest" vocal on another artist's record but it's really an imposter. And you're saying that Bruce has done this before. Since you seem to have music industry inside information could you give us some examples?

41 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

Since you seem to have music industry inside information could you give us some examples?

Street Hassle?

Well, there are people who believe that Elvis is riding around on Shergar with Lord Lucan as his stable boy, so Valentinegate could be real. Who knows?

• Haha 2
On 2/19/2021 at 10:00 PM, phantomengineer said:

Oh. So you're saying that it's common for artists to do a "guest" vocal on another artist's record but it's really an imposter. And you're saying that Bruce has done this before. Since you seem to have music industry inside information could you give us some examples?

Correct. Love's On The Line is another example.

2 hours ago, the highway is alive said:

Correct. Love's On The Line is another example.

Overdub or you're saying it's not him at all? Cos it is.