Greasy Lake Community

Renegades: Born in the USA - Bruce and Obama launch a podcast together

3 hours ago, jukeblue said:

Contrary to wide misconception Bruce is neither liberal nor left wing.

His song 41 shots is a brilliant example. It's not right or left.

Download and listen to Atlanta 2000 Night 2 - one of his most powerful performances IMHO

Point Blank - 41 Shots - Youngstown - Murder Inc = amazing 4 pack

All songs that sit well outside the narrow confines of petty Democrat/Republican party politics

Admittedly 2004 changed all that but anyone who supported Bush or more latterly Trump isn't seriously listening to or engaging with Bruce post 1975

Well im not an American so i coudn't vote for  GW

But i wanted to 

And i know there are fans who voted for Trump  

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/03/07/barack-obama-bruce-springsteen-podcast-democrats-pop-culture-473383

I don't  like the person who wrote this

Ive asked Borris to prepare one of her little brown paper bags of steaming 'goodies' to leave on his door step 

Maybe its just as well Bruce has some conservative voting fans

5 hours ago, jukeblue said:

Admittedly 2004 changed all that but anyone who supported Bush or more latterly Trump isn't seriously listening to or engaging with Bruce post 1975

This came to us 1978, I believe all could learn a little from this

Tonight I'll be on that hill `cause I can't stop
I'll be on that hill with everything I got
Lives on the line where dreams are found and lost
I'll be there on time and I'll pay the cost
For wanting things that can only be found

• Like 2

I was listening to Bruce reading Born to Run last night and in the chapter Darkness on the Edge of town he writes about the politics in his lyrics. He discusses politics in terms of a “dignified and decent living” not necessarily party political but an ideal of what we should move towards.

If you define politics this way, and I do, then virtually every album is political or contains politics. I can’t see how Jungleland and Badlands can’t be political, they just are.  He says the lyrics are politics spiced with “cars and girls”. The politics is the centre the rest is the dressing.

That’s what he writes if you choose not to hear that and access those lighter aspects without digging in it’s like eating the cheese and no burger. Perhaps you like cheese?

However, to be shocked and uncomfortable when he discusses the politics in party political terms when the ideas are laced throughout and intertwined into his work is...surprising. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Coolclearwaters said:

I was listening to Bruce reading Born to Run last night and in the chapter Darkness on the Edge of town he writes about the politics in his lyrics. He discusses politics in terms of a “dignified and decent living” not necessarily party political but an ideal of what we should move towards.

If you define politics this way, and I do, then virtually every album is political or contains politics. I can’t see how Jungleland and Badlands can’t be political, they just are.  He says the lyrics are politics spiced with “cars and girls”. The politics is the centre the rest is the dressing.

That’s what he writes if you choose not to hear that and access those lighter aspects without digging in it’s like eating the cheese and no burger. Perhaps you like cheese?

However, to be shocked and uncomfortable when he discusses the politics in party political terms when the ideas are laced throughout and intertwined into his work is...surprising. 

Who is shocked by- or uncomfortable about- Bruce discussing party politics? I haven’t seen anybody in here say they are shocked or uncomfortable about it.

• Like 3

Possibly the highlight so far this fourth episode. Especially Bruce telling the former President his (elongated) draft dodge story. The President! Slow start again but it has become a very good episode - probably the best so far

I’m about 20 minutes in. Loved Obama’s story about his first trip to the mainland.

Edit: Just finished it. Definitely the most enjoyable for me.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 12:18 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/03/07/barack-obama-bruce-springsteen-podcast-democrats-pop-culture-473383

I don't  like the person who wrote this

Ive asked Borris to prepare one of her little brown paper bags of steaming 'goodies' to leave on his door step 

Maybe its just as well Bruce has some conservative voting fans

I don't understand why, as a conservative, you would have a problem with it?

58 minutes ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

I don't understand why, as a conservative, you would have a problem with it?

I didn't enjoy the tone

And its over thinking to the max

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I didn't enjoy the tone

And its over thinking to the max

If you view it as pure entertainment, then sure. why shouldn't these two guys get together and have a chat. 

But I thought conservatives were tired of progressives cozying up with entertainers, and telling each other how good they are?  I know I'm a bit over it, and I lean left!

This line of thinking gets tiresome, that conservatives can't enjoy music, movies and TV or in this case a podcast because an artists are progressives.  

1. Listening to Country music and ZZ Top, Ted Nugent and Kid Rock would get boring pretty fast. 

2. Watching Mel Gibson, Denzel Washington movies would get boring pretty fast.  

• Love Love Love! 1

21 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

This line of thinking gets tiresome, that conservatives can't enjoy music, movies and TV or in this case a podcast because an artists are progressives.  

1. Listening to Country music and ZZ Top, Ted Nugent and Kid Rock would get boring pretty fast. 

So you're saying conservatives are boring? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

So you're saying conservatives are boring? :D

No, not at all. That's why we love listening to Bruce and other great music. And watching great movies from the like's of Quintin Tarantino and others. 

6 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

If you view it as pure entertainment, then sure. why shouldn't these two guys get together and have a chat. 

But I thought conservatives were tired of progressives cozying up with entertainers, and telling each other how good they are?  I know I'm a bit over it, and I lean left!

It's possible to be a conservative and still like Mr Obama

I certainly respect the office of the POTUSA

He waa an excellent world leader 

In fact there has only been one president i havn't been overly keen on since i became politically awear as a very young child ....and im not talking about Tricky Dickie

And im interested in what Bruce has to say

I find this much more intetesting than Bruce performing with Sting or Bono or Tommy 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Mel Gibson is scrapping the bottom of the barrel 

4b980db9-6917-4586-af59-dc4e15f8cf12.png

• Haha 2

Episodes 3 and 4 are outstanding. I'm very much enjoying this.

I can see that for people who don't consider themselves liberal, the appeal might be limited. Also, they're discussing a lot of U.S. specific or contextual themes. If you don't live here it could be enlightening, but might also feel less accessible.

But anyone who hasn't checked it out yet, definitely give it a chance.

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 hour ago, stevie54uk said:

im enjoying it but felt 4 was a bit flat

Interesting. I felt 4 was most like an actual conversation whereas the other 3 felt more like Obama interviewing Bruce.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:09 PM, Daisey Jeep said:

It's possible to be a conservative and still like Mr Obama

I certainly respect the office of the POTUSA

He waa an excellent world leader 

In fact there has only been one president i havn't been overly keen on since i became politically awear as a very young child ....and im not talking about Tricky Dickie

And im interested in what Bruce has to say

I find this much more intetesting than Bruce performing with Sting or Bono or Tommy 

As someone on the left, I get so much from the lyrics, I don’t think a U.S conservative would get as much. Not saying you can’t enjoy it, or don’t get it but there is a depth of understanding I get, that I think (could well be wrong), that you can’t ‘get’ if you come from a different point.

And then in a slightly evangelical way, I want everyone to share that feeling, when the world clicks in to place, with the music, and the emotion, my head and my heart all match up and it feels like he sees inside me and understands.

I differentiate between a US conservative and the rest of the world. A moderate U.K. conservative would be a U.S Democrat. I would speculate the same is true in Aus, Canada and NZ.

• Like 1

Oh and episode 4 I felt excluded by my lack of Americanness.

I find the overt patriotism very ‘uncomfortable’ and a bit embarrassing. This is a very English response. We can be weird about stuff like that.

I still enjoyed it as an insight into a separate and very different country.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Coolclearwaters said:

Oh and episode 4 I felt excluded by my lack of Americanness.

I find the overt patriotism very ‘uncomfortable’ and a bit embarrassing. This is a very English response. We can be weird about stuff like that.

I still enjoyed it as an insight into a separate and very different country.

'We'? You only have to read the stuff that's been on here (the Forum) to know there's not a 'we' when it comes to responses.

One can be right, left, in the middle - you can still have empathy and still get oodles of feelings/meaning from Bruce's words.

To pigeon-hole people is akin to using a big fat paintbrush to daub everybody with the same brush.

When you say (could well be wrong) ... I think you got that right.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Eileen said:

'We'? You only have to read the stuff that's been on here (the Forum) to know there's not a 'we' when it comes to responses.

One can be right, left, in the middle - you can still have empathy and still get oodles of feelings/meaning from Bruce's words.

To pigeon-hole people is akin to using a big fat paintbrush to daub everybody with the same brush.

When you say (could well be wrong) ... I think you got that right.

The ‘we’ was meant as a comment on the English attitude to patriotism. You know how it can be seen as a bit embarrassing.

The comment in relation to politics is not that other people aren’t moved by the music and the lyrics, the quite clearly are, very much so.

It’s more that there are certain lyrics that are clearly social, Bruce himself describes them as such, and if you happen to agree with him it might add another dimension. I would certainly struggle to engage with a lyric that expressed a view I did not agree with. 

In the same way the discussion about patriotism is interesting to a non American but I realise there is part of it that is separate and not visceral to me as I am simply not American.

• Like 1

The first paragraph .. I, too, find ultra-patriotism to be a bit much but see it all the time from those I haven't unfollowed on FB. :)

However, those (and there are lots of them) who do 'fly the flag' as it were to the umpteenth degree are not a minority.

Therefore, there is no 'we' who find patriotism embarrassing.