Greasy Lake Community

Renegades: Born in the USA - Bruce and Obama launch a podcast together

9 minutes ago, Eileen said:

The first paragraph .. I, too, find ultra-patriotism to be a bit much but see it all the time from those I haven't unfollowed on FB. :)

However, those (and there are lots of them) who do 'fly the flag' as it were to the umpteenth degree are not a minority.

Therefore, there is no 'we' who find patriotism embarrassing.

I do take your point but doesn’t  the idea of ‘pledging allegiance’ to a flag make you wince - sorry Americans.

Imagine trying to get a class of English teenagers to do that - it would be mumbled, muttered and sniggered throughout.  Like school prayers are just so embarrassing.

That’s not to say it’s wrong just that you would struggle to get that level of enthusiasm in England. And I am very much not including the Welsh,Scottish and Northern Irish in this as I know you have a different relationship to your flags, nations etc.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realise many fans will love this sort of thing, and I hope they enjoy it. It's just not for me i'm afraid. Re my Bruce fandom...It's all about the music, the lyrics, the songs, the albums

I've listened to the first two episodes. They are terrific. If you are not going to listen due to "politics" you will be missing great insight and stories about life, his career, some terrific insight

Posted Images

We used to sing Jerusalem every morning at Gosforth Grammar (so did the Knopflers - not many people know that, haha) so that's quite like standing with your hand on your heart I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It’s just in the podcast they talk about pledging allegiance  with such warmth and pride - it’s very sweet but baffling to me.

My mum talks about how they used to play the national anthem in the cinemas when films ended and you had to be careful not to get trampled as people rushed to get out!

Although, I might sing if I had the Knopflers along for the ride.

• Like 2

I'd forgotten about the National Anthem being played. I still stand up if it's played on the telly and sing along merrily ... or drearily as it's such a snooze of a tune.

When I lived in Northern Ireland, Michael and I went to a pub in Donegal. At the end of the night, the band started playing their anthem. Michael made me stand so I slouched (see, like Bruce, I don't like being told what to do) and I didn't half get a dirty look from the drummer.

He got one back. :D

I'm on a roll ... we used to go to a pub on our estate (Craigavon) and it had changed from a mostly Protestant pub to a mostly Catholic one (customer-wise). I'd go on a Sunday night for the quiz and, if the British Anthem was played for any reason or if the other folk started cursing at the 'English' I'd stand up (Newcastle United scarf round my neck) and sing 'God save etc etc' Hahaha! Good job they liked me, eh?

I never pushed it past the first line though ... just in case.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Coolclearwaters said:

It’s just in the podcast they talk about pledging allegiance  with such warmth and pride - it’s very sweet but baffling to me.

My mum talks about how they used to play the national anthem in the cinemas when films ended and you had to be careful not to get trampled as people rushed to get out!

Although, I might sing if I had the Knopflers along for the ride.

All the years I worked on Barry Island fairground we could not close the rides until God Save The Queen had played. Never understood that one either.

9 hours ago, Coolclearwaters said:

As someone on the left, I get so much from the lyrics, I don’t think a U.S conservative would get as much. Not saying you can’t enjoy it, or don’t get it but there is a depth of understanding I get, that I think (could well be wrong), that you can’t ‘get’ if you come from a different point.

And then in a slightly evangelical way, I want everyone to share that feeling, when the world clicks in to place, with the music, and the emotion, my head and my heart all match up and it feels like he sees inside me and understands.

I differentiate between a US conservative and the rest of the world. A moderate U.K. conservative would be a U.S Democrat. I would speculate the same is true in Aus, Canada and NZ.

You could be right 

Being a NZ right winger still allows me to like Democrat  US presidents

We tend to be Pro- American full stop .

Alas I can't say more - even though it want going to be in any way controversial 

6 hours ago, Promise61 said:

All the years I worked on Barry Island fairground we could not close the rides until God Save The Queen had played. Never understood that one either.

Oh that's so cute 

I came way after it was played before the movie started at the pictures 

8 hours ago, Coolclearwaters said:

I do take your point but doesn’t  the idea of ‘pledging allegiance’ to a flag make you wince - sorry Americans.

Imagine trying to get a class of English teenagers to do that - it would be mumbled, muttered and sniggered throughout.  Like school prayers are just so embarrassing.

That’s not to say it’s wrong just that you would struggle to get that level of enthusiasm in England. And I am very much not including the Welsh,Scottish and Northern Irish in this as I know you have a different relationship to your flags, nations etc.

Not for me

I have been exposed to a 50 50 mix of UK and US culture 

I love their flag probably as much as most of  them do

I see it on buildings and think of all our American greasy lake freinds and Bruce of course

I always feel happy to see it 

I even own one

I plan on getting a porch mounted flag pole so i can fly it 

And we had a prayer before assembly at my state high school - i doubt they still do it but i see it doing no harm

I wonder if they will release the full songs Bruce played during the podcasts? I’m enjoying listening to these whilst working from home.

On that I wonder how much Bruce played in the ambient music parts. I wouldn’t mind a release of the ambient music he made for the podcast and Western Stars/Letter to You films however unlikely.  

• Like 2

Finished listening to episodes 5 and 6 today (way too much time in the car). Enjoyable listen. I don’t agree with everything they say by any means but I do enjoy the conversation.

• Like 2

Can’t get through these nauseating conversations. Bruce is very annoying to listen to in this format and i feel like I’ve heard all these stories. 

I could however listen to Obama 24/7. He’s amazing. 

31 minutes ago, gus said:

Jay i think the Winnipeg cold has affected your thinking.

Or the pandemic. Everything seems like its too much these days.

• Like 1
  • Hug 1
On 3/29/2021 at 10:35 PM, Jay said:

Can’t get through these nauseating conversations. Bruce is very annoying to listen to in this format and i feel like I’ve heard all these stories. 

I could however listen to Obama 24/7. He’s amazing. 

I would agree that Obama is the much more interesting character in these conversations. There really is not much for Bruce to cover that we haven’t heard already.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:32 PM, Jertucky said:

I would agree that Obama is the much more interesting character in these conversations. There really is not much for Bruce to cover that we haven’t heard already.

I wonder if people who are primarily Obama fans first and not Bruce fans are enjoying these chin wags and the stories we know that they may not ?

• Like 2