Greasy Lake Community

33 Years Ago Tonight: TUNNEL TOUR BEGINS!

Anyone remember waking up the next day and hearing what was played at this first show of the tour? I almost flipped when I heard "She's The One"; "Adam"; "Roulette" and "Be True" were all played. But what I couldn't believe was all the rehersals done for the show!!!! He never did anything like it/this before ..... or really since!

We couldn't get tapes of these first three Mass shows fast enough lol

I think the encores are still going on, lol

Brad

• Like 8
  • Bruuuuce! 1

40 minutes ago, BruceHistory said:

Anyone remember waking up the next day and hearing what was played at this first show of the tour? 

Not that, obviously, but I remember buying music magazines on the newsstands with tour reports; Melody Maker and/or NME and Rolling Stone. With details about the 'new' setlists: a strong focus on the new album, most of the old 'warhorses' out, Adam, Roulette, Be True and She's The One in, Born To Run played acoustic and many covers. And Spare Parts-War-BUSA closing the first set in one of the strongest sequences ever in a Bruce Springsteen & The ESB setlist.

Many reports about the Tunnel album and the Tunnel Tour in 1987 and 1988 (and later in 1988 also about the Amnesty Tour), as Bruce was still the biggest rock star in the world (with some heavy competition by Prince among -especially-  music magazines for the title 'greatest live act in the world).

Exiting times!:) 

I've written so often about both Tunnel album and Tunnel Tour on this forum over the years, I'll leave it to this now: EVERYTHING was better in 1988!:)

(Except the 'park-bench story' before All That Heaven Will Allow...ough....:ph34r:....1988's own toilet break song!)

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, JimCT said:

cross post from the listening thread - just exquisite

...and with the very beautiful keyboard introduction, only played twice, the first and the third show of the tour.

I think -but may be wrong- the introduction was a little bit longer the third night.

• Bruuuuce! 2

10 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

The Tunnel Of Love tour was a wonderful time in my life. If I had a time machine, I'd go right back there when life was good. I'd buy a better pair of boots though. 

I can't remember anything about my boots in 1988 (probably nothing wrong with them), but I'd buy better seats for my first Bruce Springsteen & The ESB show. If the time machine would give me [us] that opportunity. (Only better seats; saying I would like GA tickets is too greedy).

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lampi said:

I can't remember anything about my boots in 1988 (probably nothing wrong with them), but I'd buy better seats for my first Bruce Springsteen & The ESB show if the time machine would give that opportunity. (Only better seats; saying I would like GA tickets is too greedy).

If you had boots as bad as mine, you'd remember them.:D

• Haha 4

I only saw one Tunnel show...first night at Bramall Lane, Sheffield.

I was 23 at the time. Travelled down from Edinburgh on an organised package tour believe it or not. Stayed overnight at the Hilton Hotel in Leeds after the show, then travelled back the next day via a stop in York.

It was an amazing show. Coming only three years after the BITUSA tour it still had that similar feeling and vibrancy about it. I wanted a better view at the Sheffield show than I had at Newcastle 3 years earlier, so I got as near to the stage as I could. He put so much into the show and the encore was incredible. It maybe had a bit too much Vegas style glitz about it possibly, but that didn't bother me. I just wish he had played Be True as the second song in instead of Boom Boom !! I remember being surprised when the tour was announced that it was another ESB tour due to the intimacy and reflective tone of the album...one of his greatest ever albums in my opinion.

I've read quite a few books and accounts of that tour over the years, and it certainly appears to me that the band didn't really enjoy it. In Peter Carlin's book "Bruce" Max says that he suspected towards the end of the BITUSA tour that Bruce was becoming more and more detached from the band and he thought he would break them up at the end of the BITUSA tour. The Tunnel of Love tour just confirmed his suspicions, with all the hype about his affair with Patti, her new prominence on stage etc, the band being shifted around the stage, Clarence no longer being Bruce's main foil onstage. Garry Tallent said he felt the tour just "wasn't us". It really shouldn't have come as much of a surprise then that he broke the band up the following year.

I loved the show I saw though in Sheffield, and the two CD's I have bought from Nugs from that tour are fabulous. Great memories.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, BruceHistory said:

Anyone remember waking up the next day and hearing what was played at this first show of the tour? I almost flipped when I heard "She's The One"; "Adam"; "Roulette" and "Be True" were all played. But what I couldn't believe was all the rehersals done for the show!!!! He never did anything like it/this before ..... or really since!

We couldn't get tapes of these first three Mass shows fast enough lol

I think the encores are still going on, lol

Brad

One of my very favourite CD s.

When in 1988 was my first Bruce show - well, I still feel so thankful for those memories from the St.Jakobsstadion (and the "first fabric pressed DVD" Boot from Basel / Copenhagen to cherish them)!

Now, the Detroit Nugs release gets listened so often  just to tell myself: wow, those shows were sooo good!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lampi said:

And there were Lakers at the shows in Worcester;

@Scott Peterson at the second show; @judyg?

I was living in NY at the time. I went to several shows in the NY area.  The one I remember best was at MSG.  I didn’t like the hokey TOL setup at the beginning but the shows were really great.

I remember that I had an argument with my then-husband about whether the open affection between Bruce and Patti was real or just acting for the show.  I said it looked too real to me and that I thought something was going on there.  Turns out I was right. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MacBruce said:

I've read quite a few books and accounts of that tour over the years, and it certainly appears to me that the band didn't really enjoy it. In Peter Carlin's book "Bruce" Max says that he suspected towards the end of the BITUSA tour that Bruce was becoming more and more detached from the band and he thought he would break them up at the end of the BITUSA tour. The Tunnel of Love tour just confirmed his suspicions, with all the hype about his affair with Patti, her new prominence on stage etc, the band being shifted around the stage, Clarence no longer being Bruce's main foil onstage. Garry Tallent said he felt the tour just "wasn't us". It really shouldn't have come as much of a surprise then that he broke the band up the following year.

Printing "featuring the E Street Band" on the tickets can't exactly have added to a sense of "we're all in this together" among the band members either. Suddenly they were officially a backing group. A shame that by the tour reached Europe and stadiums something of the original concept of the tour had been abandoned in favour of playing the anthems.

4 hours ago, judyg said:

I remember that I had an argument with my then-husband about whether the open affection between Bruce and Patti was real or just acting for the show.  I said it looked too real to me and that I thought something was going on there.  Turns out I was right. 

That was the same tour when the scandal around his marriage with Julianne was failing. Turned out to be true. 

Love the USA leg. Clarence arguably plays better than he ever did - he sounds like somebody trying to prove a point when you listen to the NUGS releases (MSG in particular). The European shows lack the intensity and intimacy for me (we all know the stats about how the BITUSA songs outnumber the ToL material by the end of the leg...).

Two nights in rainy Sheffield, incredible shows. Loved the horns and the different arrangements / covers. Sweet Soul Music was a riot. All the girls onstage for You Can Look. The energy was incredible, the tension between him and Patti, if staged they should get Oscars.

First night I was in the stand snapping away on my wee camera. Security spotted my flash and we're heading my way. But..just in front of me in the VIP area was a bloke fast asleep with a camera round his neck. They grabbed him, confiscated his camera and threw him out. He had no idea what was going on.  I didn't feel too bad as he was bladdered and asleep.

Oh and Sheila Grant from Brookside was there too..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I promised myself to not to be negative as much I've been, as I love Bruce and his music. But I do need to ask one question, this isn't a negative post, just asking a question. 

Adam, Roulette with horns? Born to Run with out the Band? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I promised myself to not to be negative as much I've been, as I love Bruce and his music. But I do need to ask one question, this isn't a negative post, just asking a question. 

Adam, Roulette with horns? Born to Run with out the Band? 

Horns and angry guitars just don't mix in my book 

• Bruuuuce! 1