Greasy Lake Community

33 Years Ago Tonight: TUNNEL TOUR BEGINS!

2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Well I knew you would be with me here! But what about the rest! 

Horns just arnt my cuppa tea 

I gotta admit though this thread is making me want to dig out a nugs TOL show

Its just an era i neglect (possibly because as great as the album is its one i don't listen to often)

1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

Born to Run with out the Band? 

Some thoughts:

- Alternative could have been: not played at all. Like most of the old warhorses. If that sounds impossible: Thunder Road and Badlands were both not played, except a few shows at the very end of the tour. Just like Born To Run was played full band the last 3 or 4 shows of the tour.

-The spoken introduction before the actual song underlines, gives extra emphasis to the fact Bruce really wanted to do something different this tour. Going out each night on his own [for the first encore] and playing his signature song in a stripped down version, trying to give new meaning to the song, could maybe even called 'brave'; at least in the beginning of the tour, when Bruce could not know (yet) if the fans would like it or not.

-The acoustic version also better emphasizes the meaning of the song, as told by Bruce in the Glory Days doc; it's not about 'tramps like us, baby we were born to run', but about 'I wanna know if love is wild, I wanna know if love is real'; indeed, the song stripped down to the bone, to the essentials.

This all said. Is the acoustic live version better than the song played full band in a stadium on a hot summer evening, with 50,000 people singing the chorus? Or in an arena with the house lights on?

No. Of course not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Horns just arnt my cuppa tea 

Oh, I like the horns, just not on some tunes, as listed above. 

As in 2012-2013-2014 I don't believe Adam or Roulette was played with horns, I could be wrong but I haven't heard it. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lampi said:

Many reports about the Tunnel album and the Tunnel Tour in 1987 and 1988 (and later in 1988 also about the Amnesty Tour), as Bruce was still the biggest rock star in the world (with some heavy competition by Prince among -especially-  music magazines for the title 'greatest live act in the world).

Don't tell that to the folks who created "Blinded By The Light"!! They made it seem like Bruce was old news back in 88 <_<

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Old English Town said:

Printing "featuring the E Street Band" on the tickets can't exactly have added to a sense of "we're all in this together" among the band members either. Suddenly they were officially a backing group. A shame that by the tour reached Europe and stadiums something of the original concept of the tour had been abandoned in favour of playing the anthems.

That was all bullshit!! They never sounded better .......In those days, magazine sales were everything dude ..... things started to change but NOTHING was ever apparent from the stage.

• Bruuuuce! 1

2 hours ago, BruceHistory said:

That was all bullshit!! They never sounded better .......In those days, magazine sales were everything dude ..... things started to change but NOTHING was ever apparent from the stage.

I love to see such passion in an angry post 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Lampi said:

-The acoustic version also better emphasizes the meaning of the song, as told by Bruce in the Glory Days doc; it's not about 'tramps like us, baby we were born to run', but about 'I wanna know if love is wild, I wanna know if love is real'; indeed, the song stripped down to the bone, to the essentials.

This all said. Is the acoustic live version better than the song played full band in a stadium on a hot summer evening, with 50,000 people singing the chorus? Or in an arena with the house lights on?

No. Of course not.

This really sums up my feelings on the acoustic BTR! I really believe the "best" versions of the song were on the TOL tour (and Broadway), but they aren't my "favorite" versions. I really love the BITUSA tour versions with the energy, passion, and stadiums singing along... there's no beating that... but I appreciate that the true heart and meaning of the song was best represented on the TOL tour.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 9:46 AM, Nick21 said:

Love the USA leg. Clarence arguably plays better than he ever did - he sounds like somebody trying to prove a point when you listen to the NUGS releases (MSG in particular). The European shows lack the intensity and intimacy for me (we all know the stats about how the BITUSA songs outnumber the ToL material by the end of the leg...).

The US leg is the best the band has ever sounded in my opinion, with the Los Angeles show being my favorite. One of the reasons this tour was so good was probably because the set lists didn’t change as much. I love how songs like I’m a Coward were built around the horns.

But you’re right, the European leg just pales in comparison. It feels like The BITUSA tour with horns. The only real highlight of the European leg for me was Chimes of Freedom.

2 hours ago, Declansk said:

The US leg is the best the band has ever sounded in my opinion, with the Los Angeles show being my favorite. One of the reasons this tour was so good was probably because the set lists didn’t change as much. I love how songs like I’m a Coward were built around the horns.

But you’re right, the European leg just pales in comparison. It feels like The BITUSA tour with horns. The only real highlight of the European leg for me was Chimes of Freedom.

I hope you don't mind me asking, is this is based on Nugs releases or shows you were at in the USA and UK?

18 minutes ago, Elbow said:

I hope you don't mind me asking, is this is based on Nugs releases or shows you were at in the USA and UK?

Not at all. All based on Nugs releases. I was born in 94’ and didn’t go to my first show until 2009. But I’ve listened to lots of older shows and the US 1988 shows never fail to impress me.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Tougher than the Rest was made for a full horn section. The repeat of "the road is dark" section coming out of the guitar solo was how the original should have been.  

I was a senior in HS in 88 .Saw a few shows that year. One with my HS crush at the time. That tune had special meaning at the time. Great shows and great times.

One the great " adult" records of all time.

The first set of the ToL tour throughout the USA leg is one of the most stunning artistic creations of Bruce’s career. 

He’s created some excellent pairings/packs since then, but I’d argue that this was his last truly great expanded narrative moment. 

RIP Nanci Griffith, one of the greatest american singer-songwriters. (Bruce was a fan and covered her song “Gulf Coast Highway” during a soundcheck sometime during his stand at Madison Square Garden in 1988)

The song is the story of an everyday couple who sing of keeping a home and growing old through life’s challenges on Highway 90 in Texas. The song is often noted for its lines about the state flower of Texas, the bluebonnet, which doesn’t grow in many other places. This is the only place on earth bluebonnets grow and Then she will fly away to Heaven come some sweet bluebonnet spring.

1838927089_1UA4jYErQT1jYA_JUbbJxrA.jpeg.d0cea3c55bb929fbbc860f852f438729.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

2 hours ago, el sergio said:

RIP Nanci Griffith, one of the greatest american singer-songwriters.

See also her RIP topic in Endless Juke Joints forum.

Afternoon Soundcheck before the opening night of the Tunnel Of Love Tour. A fun fly on the wall type tape with Bruce still hammering out the sound .......with the beautiful instrumental intro for Walk Like A Man that will be played at the show later that night and only once more two shows later ....