Greasy Lake Community

Morello talks Bruce on the Stern show

Tom Morello was on the Stern show today and of course Bruce came up.  Below is a summary of the appearance from Howard's website along with a couple youtube links.

Tom Morello Surprised Bruce Springsteen During “The Ghost of Tom Joad” Performance

Howard Stern Show: Tom Morello Interview 02/24/2021 (FULL AUDIO)

With a large picture of him performing with Bruce Springsteen looming in the background, Tom spoke of his relationship with the rock icon and former boss. “I’m not a casual Bruce Springsteen fan,” he admitted of Springsteen, whom he first became acquainted with when Rage Against the Machine covered his 1995 folk ballad, “The Ghost of Tom Joad.” “I was a superfan, like I would see him, you know, at like the Sony party and have to restrain myself from kissing his head. He is the only friend that I have to which I subscribe to a fanzine about.”

While that was back in the 1990s, the two didn’t perform together until Bruce and the E Street Band’s 2008 Magic Tour, an experience Tom will never forget. “I’ve played many shows in many arenas and stadiums and things like that, I’ve never been more nervous than prior to this rehearsal,” he confessed before recalling that while he prepared to play “Tom Joad” one way, Bruce had other ideas in mind. “To my surprise, Bruce has raised the key of the song by eight steps. Now, I can no longer play it and I no longer can sing it … I don’t know the chords and I can’t hit the notes and it’s my first time with my favorite artist on the stage and it’s not going great.”

Sensing his apprehension, the Boss was able to put his disciple at ease. “He puts a hand on my shoulder and he says, ‘Tommy … we’re going to do it in this key and it’s going to be great,’” he remembered. “It does calm my nerves and I recognize that there’s like 15 people in the E Street Band, they know the chords – I don’t need to worry about that. Can I sing a song of social justice and mean it? Yes, I can. Can I play a guitar solo? I can do that, too.”

With the help from Bruce as well as some liquid courage, the performance was a smashing success. “I walk out on the stage and we played a version of the song that really took us all completely by surprise,” Tom said. “I’m playing this crazy solo … it’s 82 bars, the roof comes off the place, and we looked at each other and I was like, ‘Bruce, you were right about the key after all.’”

Things went so well, in fact, that over the next six years Tom became a touring member (or “accessory”) of the band. While he was accustomed to the guidance of a general setlist with his other bands and as a solo artist, Springsteen’s approach was decidedly different. “With Bruce … you have no idea what the next song is going to be … sometimes he’d change the first song in the set,” he revealed before noting the measures he took to be ready. “Before the tour … I learned 250 songs just to be prepared, you know, for whatever would come and it wasn’t enough. He would take requests from the audience … and it could be a song that’s not by Bruce Springsteen.”

Tom proceeded to praise the E Street Band and his time being a part of it, though the solo artist admitted he didn’t shy from giving Bruce input every now and again. “I like to be in a band of equals or to be a solo project where I’m calling the shots … I could not restrain myself,” he said before recounting a question he asked after visiting original AC/DC frontman Bon Scott’s grave during an Australian tour stop in 2014. “Bruce, do you think that there is somewhere where the intersection of the circle of the E Street Band and the circle of AC/DC overlap?”

It was a suggestion Bruce took to heart. “The next day we rehearse AC/DC’s ‘Highway to Hell’ … one of my favorite concert moments in history,” Tom beamed of an eventual performance that also included Eddie Vedder.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I can't stand Tom Morello, he should never had anything to do with the E-Street Band he couldn't do anything Steve or Nils wasn't capable of.

IRA supporting twat. Fuck him and all he stands for !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

I can't stand Tom Morello, he should never had anything to do with the E-Street Band he couldn't do anything Steve or Nils wasn't capable of.

Tell us how you really feel. :D

21 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

Your political view of Tom is one thing but when he's on stage with the ESB he becomes the most talented guitarist on stage.

When I seen my only Tom show 2014 Pittsburgh,  Tom got the biggest ovation than any other player during the introductions. And brought in a new generation of fans. Young couple who sat next to me said they were only there because of Tom. I told them to please take in the whole show, after 3 hours 15 minutes I turned to them, and they said OMG that was the best show we ever seen.

• Thanks 1

It sucked he got the biggest applause from the crowd after Bruce

For such a super fan he wasn't so crash hot on the back catalogue

That cat scratch he plays is bullshit compaired to what Nils does

• Like 1

13 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter. If it wasn’t for foreign oppression there wouldn’t be the need for freedom fighters. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

For such a super fan he wasn't so crash hot on the back catalogue

I don't about that, It was Tom on ESR guest DJ stop, was the first time I ever heard Richfield Whistle!  

How did this morph into a political discussion? 

I'm not particularly fond of Morello's playing style. That being said...Give Ireland Back to the Irish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dublinpaul said:

One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter. If it wasn’t for foreign oppression there wouldn’t be the need for freedom fighters. 

How true!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

I have always admired well balanced, with good argument grounded conclusions, so I say cheers, and drink my Guinness!