Greasy Lake Community

2022 Tour planning

23 hours ago, risingaurora said:

I wouldn’t be sure the Reading and Leeds festivals will go ahead. Very stupid to announce immediately on the back of Idiot Johnson’s announcement. It’s far too early to be planning 2021 festivals 

I’m sure you’re right. Hadn’t read the small print there, fully agree with your description of Johnson.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, MacBruce said:

I would agree with that. 

You would think however that they wouldn't have gone ahead and announced them without a lot of checking with health and government sources first. It will be incredibly expensive and massively complicated to cancel them again.

A cynic would say they announced it to sell tickets and increase their cash flow.

• Like 1

Is all this optimism based on Johnson's words?

If so, fugedabourit.

Anyway, I'm more interested in seeing artists that I've never seen before. That excites me muchly, when the circumstances are right.

I would imagine people like Live Nation have their eyes on the countries where it's totally under control. Music fans in those countries could be in for a bonanza.

Cue the music.

I'll leave the pandemic epidemiology and public health policies to my betters. I'll just make an updated version of a point I made in the past on another thread: Springsteen is in a great position to tour with the E Street Band.

Not only does he have enough good songs *from this century* to fill an entire setlist (not to mention his substantial 20th century catalog), he has two new albums (WS and LTY) which, conservatively speaking, have at least a half dozen songs that could "stick" as regulars in a 2022 concert tour. (E.g., Tucson Train, Sleepy Joe's Cafe, Letter to You, Janey Needs a Shooter, The Power of Prayer, If I Was the Priest, Ghosts)

And that doesn't include the possibility of a new release (most likely a Nebraska or BITUSA boxed set) later this year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frank said:

Well, Patti has never toured in her life (as a solo artist, I mean), and her latest album turns 14 this year. I like her music, but let’s get real. She has no live audience of hers except for a bunch of Bruce completists, who would go and see her no matter what (mostly hoping to see her husband showing up). In the best case scenario, she would fill smaller theaters/clubs in a few Springsteen strongholds, but I doubt this would tell anything about Bruce’s post COVID live market.

I think burghfan was taking the piss though? 

4 hours ago, MassCommons said:

as regulars in a 2022 concert tour. Tucson Train, Sleepy Joe's Cafe

These indeed, these are the only 2 Western Stars songs that could be regulars in an ESB setlist.

Unless there is a solo opening of the show (like in 1993) or solo opening of the encore.

Someone notice the contradiction?

41 minutes ago, Lampi said:

These indeed, these are the only 2 Western Stars songs that could be regulars in an ESB setlist.

Unless there is a solo opening of the show (like in 1993) or solo opening of the encore.

Someone notice the contradiction?

I would add western stars to that list as well, at least for me personally <_< 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frank said:

Well, Patti has never toured in her life (as a solo artist, I mean), and her latest album turns 14 this year. I like her music, but let’s get real. She has no live audience of hers except for a bunch of Bruce completists, who would go and see her no matter what (mostly hoping to see her husband showing up). In the best case scenario, she would fill smaller theaters/clubs in a few Springsteen strongholds, but I doubt this would tell anything about Bruce’s post COVID live market.

Patti may not have done a massive tour, but she has played live dates on her own.

The fact that she hardly ever does live shows should make her fans that much more eager to buy a ticket to her shows.

She has had 14 years to come up with a new album worth of songs.  She has rarely been seen on recent tours so she should have had enough free time to write some songs.

15 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

At my age (mid-forties) I'm simply no longer prepared to put the required effort (travel, queuing for hours to get into the venue, standing for hours waiting for show time, having to share space with rude members of the public, the constant jostling: 'I got these drinks for my mates', 'I need to get back to my wife' etc etc, the queues to leave the venue at the end of the gig, the poor sound, the vagaries of the weather, the list goes on)  in to get a decent view of the stage, and I won't pay upward of £100 to stare at a big screen. Unless Bruce plays arenas, it would be a pass from me regardless.

At 40 I’m essentially in the same boat.

I think they should consider stopping touring. Don't get me wrong, I love the ESB, but the last tour (five!! years ago) already showed a very considerable slow-down on part of the band and, specifically, Bruce. Springsteen/ESB concerts are high-octane, balls-to the-wall events. Physicality is such a large part of the show that it really does take away from the performance when missing.

Standing still behind the mic doesn't matter for, say, Mark Knopfler, but it sure does for Bruce.

Bottom line: Better to remember a great thing as it was (and 2016 was already borderline...) than clinging to something for the sake of nostalgia.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, badlands78 said:

At 35, I'm not sure if my fandom wavers, but I simply don't feel the urge to do this anymore...I've seen him and the band up close more than enough times. It's been an amazing ride, but it's not a priority for me anymore. I'm not even sure I'd go see a show on the next tour at all. I already skipped the last one, even though I could have easily attended a few shows.

• Like 1

It looks like the new Brazil variant of Covid 19 has started its UK tour. Its full itinerary has not yet been disclosed but it is almost certainly coming to a town near you.

2023 for shows, anyone?

7 hours ago, burghfan said:

Patti may not have done a massive tour, but she has played live dates on her own.

The fact that she hardly ever does live shows should make her fans that much more eager to buy a ticket to her shows.

She has had 14 years to come up with a new album worth of songs.  She has rarely been seen on recent tours so she should have had enough free time to write some songs.

I think it's a question of how many fans, or if they even stretch into the plural, Patti has :-) Joking aside, it's probably a very small number, and how many of those would be attending in the hope of catching her hubby?

6 hours ago, badlands78 said:

I also forgot my biggest criticism; the tiered ticket prices. Utter rip off. I made exceptions to see The Rolling Stones, Roger Waters, and Paul Simon, during their last UK appearances because I knew it could possibly be the last time. At the end of The Stones stadium gig I was thinking it was the last time for me, even if they carried on.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

I like your meteorite metaphor, but I think it may be extended to more than the dinosaurs of Rock, I’m afraid. General consensus among paleontologists is the asteroid that stuck Earth some 64 million year ago found the dinos already weakened by radical changing in their environment. Likewise, in the last twenty years or so digitalization of music and streaming services has virtually cut out artists from revenues. Until COVID, live performances remained the only traditional way to make a living for most artists. If we consider that the pandemic has altered the way concert goers (who are not getting younger, btw) see mass gatherings, the future looks pretty bleak for the whole industry.

Looking at the posts regarding age and queuing for hours etc etc. I have done pit queues for the last few tours, Cardiff 08 and 13, Coventry 13 and 16, Wembley 13 and Manchester 12 and Glasgow 09. I will be turning 65 in June dont think I will be doing it again. It's about time especially with Covid and Bruce's aging audience that he played Arenas or if he has to do Stadiums how about seating on the floor ?. Even with the Vaccine I dont think I would feel sfe in an 80,000 or so crowd with no social distancing etc etc 

I'm 56. Have seen Bruce loads of times since 1985 in stadiums all over the UK and Ireland.

When he announces his next tour (hopefully for 2022) I will be right in there.

Can't wait to get into another pit with thousands of fellow fans to see the greatest rock star on the planet, singing along with all the songs.

Roll on the next tour ! That train is still running...but it's not got far to go now. Better to stay on board !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MacBruce said:

I'm 56. Have seen Bruce loads of times since 1985 in stadiums all over the UK and Ireland.

When he announces his next tour (hopefully for 2022) I will be right in there.

Can't wait to get into another pit with thousands of fellow fans to see the greatest rock star on the planet, singing along with all the songs.

Roll on the next tour ! That train is still running...but it's not got far to go now. Better to stay on board !

I’m with you. I’ll be 49 this year with arthritic knees but I’ll be in that pit when the ESB returns. The one thing I will seek out though is Golden Circle / Front of Stage tickets as I did for Paris 2013. I wish all countries had the same policy but it seems only a few European countries sell FoS GA tickets. I’m happy to pay a premium to avoid the need to travel the day before the show and spend hours on end lining up for roll calls all day. 

• Like 2