Greasy Lake Community

2022 Tour planning

5 hours ago, MARTIN LEICESTER said:

Looking at the posts regarding age and queuing for hours etc etc. I have done pit queues for the last few tours, Cardiff 08 and 13, Coventry 13 and 16, Wembley 13 and Manchester 12 and Glasgow 09. I will be turning 65 in June dont think I will be doing it again. It's about time especially with Covid and Bruce's aging audience that he played Arenas or if he has to do Stadiums how about seating on the floor ?. Even with the Vaccine I dont think I would feel sfe in an 80,000 or so crowd with no social distancing etc etc 

You would hope so, but it won't happen. Too much money in stadiums.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Frank said:

I like your meteorite metaphor, but I think it may be extended to more than the dinosaurs of Rock, I’m afraid. General consensus among paleontologists is the asteroid that stuck Earth some 64 million year ago found the dinos already weakened by radical changing in their environment. Likewise, in the last twenty years or so digitalization of music and streaming services has virtually cut out artists from revenues. Until COVID, live performances remained the only traditional way to make a living for most artists. If we consider that the pandemic has altered the way concert goers (who are not getting younger, btw) see mass gatherings, the future looks pretty bleak for the whole industry.

There's the always the opposite perspective where the demand for live music is increased. Two music festivals in the UK just sold out pretty much instantaneously.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

There's the always the opposite perspective where the demand for live music is increased. Two music festivals in the UK just sold out pretty much instantaneously.

Younger people who will attend these festivals care less about the Covid then most. And that's why they have sold out that fast. 

getting back to everyone thinking stadiums, I believe stadiums will be the only way a tour next year works. 70-80k stadium with only 20k people 6-8 feet apart. So there won't be any high five'ing others or even talking to them, which in the end maybe a good thing. As your neighbors won't be talking thru Drive All Night. ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobfan1976 said:

You would hope so, but it won't happen. Too much money in stadiums.

Booking stadiums has become a necessity for promoters. Don't blame Livenation or Ticketmaster for expensive tickets. 99% of the time it's down to the artists charging horrendous fees for performing. Promoters have no other choice than to resort to tiered pricing and gigantic venues.

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I’m with you. I’ll be 49 this year with arthritic knees but I’ll be in that pit when the ESB returns. The one thing I will seek out though is Golden Circle / Front of Stage tickets as I did for Paris 2013. I wish all countries had the same policy but it seems only a few European countries sell FoS GA tickets. I’m happy to pay a premium to avoid the need to travel the day before the show and spend hours on end lining up for roll calls all day. 

I get quite bad lower back pain when standing for a long time.

When I was coming out after the Hampden Park show in 2016 I was struggling to walk.

As I said I would probably still try to get into the pit in front of the stage next time round, but might have to bow to the inevitable rigours of time and age and resort to a seat in the stand from now on !

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Younger people who will attend these festivals care less about the Covid then most. And that's why they have sold out that fast. 

getting back to everyone thinking stadiums, I believe stadiums will be the only way a tour next year works. 70-80k stadium with only 20k people 6-8 feet apart. So there won't be any high five'ing others or even talking to them, which in the end maybe a good thing. As your neighbors won't be talking thru Drive All Night. ;) 

I don’t see that happening. There’s an informative article in Rolling Stone think about why socially distanced gigs are just not financially viable,

5 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

As your neighbors won't be talking thru Drive All Night. ;) 

The social distancing could probably mean that taking a toilet break during Drive All Night is also impossible, sadly...

• Haha 1

....and taking a toilet break during Sunny Day also not possible....

But that also means there will no be Sunny Day kids!:)

So the song can be enjoyed in its original form, like on the Rising Tour.

Meanwhile, there is still the contradiction.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

I don’t see that happening. There’s an informative article in Rolling Stone think about why socially distanced gigs are just not financially viable,

Well then there is no gigs for the foreseeable future! As someone said earlier Covid is here to stay. So we can coward into a corner or we can go to shows with social distancing! Acts and promoters will need to adjust to the money factor. Some money is better then no money! 

2 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Well then there is no gigs for the foreseeable future! As someone said earlier Covid is here to stay. So we can coward into a corner or we can go to shows with social distancing! Acts and promoters will need to adjust to the money factor. Some money is better then no money! 

It will be interesting to see how things develop. I think a lot is riding on the efficacy of the vaccines. I think vaccine passports may become the norm, especially for big live gigs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobfan1976 said:

It will be interesting to see how things develop. I think a lot is riding on the efficacy of the vaccines. I think vaccine passports may become the norm, especially for big live gigs.

Yep, I believe you are correct there, come to a show but sure you have your papers with you.

7 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Yep, I believe you are correct there, come to a show but sure you have your papers with you.

Or your exemption card.

I do not think vaccine passports are a valid solution, not enough information known about them yet and within the next 12 months we could have several modified vaccines produced to fight this, so a passport would very quickly become outdated and would continually be a moving target we may learn how to live with this but we are a long way from putting this behind us IMHO.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

I do not think vaccine passports are a valid solution, not enough information known about them yet and within the next 12 months we could have several modified vaccines produced to fight this, so a passport would very quickly become outdated and would continually be a moving target we may learn how to live with this but we are a long way from putting this behind us IMHO.

I think the passport would still work, you would get a new stamp for each variant. You will need a standard stamp, a UK stamp, a South Africa stamp so on and so on. 

5 hours ago, el sergio said:

The silver bullet for travel and concert goers might be the nasal spray they are developing:

See, I'm not doing that! If my papers aren't good enough, I'll stay home.  

On 3/2/2021 at 4:21 PM, Jimmy James said:

See, I'm not doing that! If my papers aren't good enough, I'll stay home.  

If you are not doing the nasal spray, and your papers aren't good enough, then there are always the dog sniffers Finland first in Europe to use dogs to detect Covid-19 (unric.org)

"The pilot programme is costing approximately 300,000 euros which is significantly lower than for laboratory-based testing methods. “PCR test cost approximately 4 million euros per month and sniffing less than 100,000 euros” says docent in clinical research of companion animals, Anna Hielm-Bjorkman of Helsinki University."

dogs-trained-to-detect-covid-19_1-e1591120915353-768x401.thumb.jpg.2aa5355a3644cb87468ae7a741d5dd75.jpg

8 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Start the video at about 3:00 minute mark. :D

Nice try, I forgot about that Eastwood trick (but he got caught in the end :D). Referring again to the Finnish article:

"The process itself is quite simple. The passenger takes a skin swipe according to the instructions given and drops the sample into the container provided for it. The dog and its trainer are behind a wall, where the dog sniffs the given sample. In this way passengers who are allergic to dogs are taken into consideration, and care is taken that the trainers are not subjected to the coronavirus. Personal information is not collected at the sampling station. If the result is positive, the passenger is directed to the Helsinki University Hospital’s health information station for further instructions. Dogs themselves cannot catch coronavirus since they lack the receptor to which the coronavirus attaches." 

I think there’s another elephant in the room nobody’s mentioning.

If they’re not planning dates/itinerary/venues, and if existing tours do not go ahead or get further postponed, they’re likely to encounter huge problems securing places to play by leaving it too late.

I’ve already had shows postponed twice so that some 2020 shows will be in 2022 if they don’t get cancelled or postponed again. Other artists are already booking venues for 2021/2022.

I fear even if they decide they want to take any risk and tour in 2022, it’ll be logistically impossible when they try to arrange the bookings. 

So I tend to agree with all those who say let’s wait and see what happens. Just glad I got my 50th show under my belt when it was easier.

Bossman

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bossman66 said:

I think there’s another elephant in the room nobody’s mentioning.

If they’re not planning dates/itinerary/venues, and if existing tours do not go ahead or get further postponed, they’re likely to encounter huge problems securing places to play by leaving it too late.

I’ve already had shows postponed twice so that some 2020 shows will be in 2022 if they don’t get cancelled or postponed again. Other artists are already booking venues for 2021/2022.

I fear even if they decide they want to take any risk and tour in 2022, it’ll be logistically impossible when they try to arrange the bookings. 

So I tend to agree with all those who say let’s wait and see what happens. Just glad I got my 50th show under my belt when it was easier.

Bossman

You made an important point here.  Personally, I don't think finding "alternative venues" would be a huge problem. However, what is critical for promoters is risk taking, IMHO. Insurance prices will probably skyrocket. Fans and ticketholders will probably think twice (or more) before buying tickets for new shows, knowing that gigs might be postponed for years (!), as it has been the case  since 2020. It will probably take years before planning a trip abroad to see a show would be reasonable.

The other elephant in the room (and I don't mean my belly which has swelled prodigiously during lockdown) is how many of the band will still be fit enough to tour.  We've already seen two pass and a long tour must be exhausting.  I am not really sure whether an E Street tour will ever happen. In 2022 Bruce will reach 73 as will Garry and Roy; Steve 72; and  Max and Nils 71.  Even if concerts do go ahead my guess is that they will not be as part of a 'tour' as we have known them but more likely to be a few dates in very, very limited locations.  Also we must expect much shorter shows - 90 minute concerts?

I'll be 62 and will have been going to Bruce concerts for 41 years.  I agree with those who complain about back pain etc and may well try for seats but I will stagger in if I can get tickets to add to my 75 shows so far. Being an old git I've already had Jab 1 and the science currently says we will have good protection after both jabs.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, gus said:

I think good idea pull into to a town and do a stand. Easier on all of us.

But they won't reach so many people as people on this thread will seek to do multiple shows and consequently tickets will be harder to come by.