Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HwyPtrlman

Mary's Place meaning

Has anyone really listened to Marys Place and tried to put a meaning to the lyrics? I think that he is saying that to those, close to us that we loose, we will meet them in Heaven (Marys Place). Not to live broken hearted. "From that black hole on the horizon, I hear your voice calling me". "Familiar faces around me...laughter fills the air"(in Heaven). I dont think that this song is about having a house party down on the Jersey Shore. What do you make of "Let it rain"?

I most ask can I dance to this song when he play this song on the concert ??

I mean the sound of the song sound like a (dance/party) tune to me:
I wanna DANCE NOW and go crazy !!!

And one second thought:
The lyrics is so deep, would dance and go crazy be wrong ??

I hope you know what I mean.

Any thoughts ???

I think your "Mary's Place" take may be on the mark.

Another "upbeat" song from The Rising I was thinking about the other day was "Let's Be Friends."

Now, the lyrics seem to be straightforward enough. But I wondered if they also might refer to nations, which previously had been adversaries, joining together in an effort such as the coalition against terrorism??

I been watchin' you a long time
Trying to figure out where and when
We been moving down that same line
The time is now maybe we could get skin to skin

Don't know when this chance might come again
Good times got a way of comin' to an end
Good times got a way of slippin' a-way
Let's be friends, baby let's be friends

I know we're different you and me
Got a different way of walkin'
The time has come to let the past be history
Yeah, if we could just start talkin'

Good times got a way of comin' to an end
Good times got a way of slippin' a-way
Let's be friends, baby let's be friends

Do, do do doo do do do doo...

There's a lot of talk going `round now
Let'em talk you know you're the only one
There's a lot of walls need tearing down
Together we could take them down one by one

Hmmm.......

Whatever LBF may mean is completely sunk by:

"I know we're different you and me, got a different way of walkin..."

Worst line ever.

HwyPtrlman, I've wondered about the "Let it rain" line, too. I"ve changed my take on it. I won't bore you with what I first thought. I think now that the rain reference has the same meaning that it has on Living Proof. The part about there "being a long draught, but now rain is falling on the roof, looking for a little bit of God's mercy, I found living proof. . ." I think Bruce uses Rain as an archetype for cleansing/purifying & salvation. . . .

That sounds right for what he's doing in Mary's Place but I don't think rain has any consistent metaphorical meaning in his work. In Downbound Train, the narrator works at the carwash, where all it ever does is rain, which seems to symbolize that depressing/oppressive elements of his life - his crappy job stands in for all the broken dreams of his life.

There's also the rain in Waitin on a Sunny Day, which has the same meaning (discussed in another thread): raining but there ain't a cloud in the sky, working with the rain falling down...all the while waiting for a sunny day...also waiting for the sunny morning in Further on up the Road.

So, like you say...songs can have different meanings. Blood on the Tracks is full of shifting rain and water metaphors. I like how he uses the fire, rain, etc images that he returns to on The Rising in different ways depending on the narrator and context.

I think you got it exactly right. We'll have a party when you join me in heaven.

Great points, mjs548, and excellent observations. If you following Mary's Place with Living Proof, then it would be easy to make the rain connection.

I really think it's just about a house party.

This meet me in heaven idea is a little too "Spirit in the Sky" for Bruce.

Had not thought of heaven. I just thought of it as the narrator, who has lost her/his loved one, is at a party with their mutual friends, with whom they had partied a thousand times before. Now she is there alone. The song is about moving on, trying to learn to live again, while still remembering the loss. The rain - I have no idea.

Not that it doesn't have a definite spiritual or religious element. I definitely think that the rain is meant as a purifying and he obviously has substantial religious imagery throughout.

It seems to me though that the verses are addressed to somebody who has passed away (my heart's dark, got a picture of you in my locket, your favorite record, etc) while the choruses (Meet me at Mary's Place...How do you live broken hearted, etc) are addressed to those who are still living - in other words he's surrounding himself with friends to celebrate the life of somebody who has died, he asking how to live broken hearted, he's trying to get the celebration going.

Mary's Place representing heaven is a little too literal for me. I prefer to think that Mary is his lover and her place is just that...the place where she lived, or the place where she loved to spend time...and where better to celebrate someone's life than the place where they felt most alive?

I agree with mjs548--It's a house party on Mary's front porch, the one she once danced across as the radio played Roy Orbison singing for the lonely.

I do think that the last verse in Mary's Place is the saddest on the whole album.

I do not think it's about meeting in heaven. Bruce doesn't sing about life-everlasting...He believes in life RIGHT NOW!

I was wondering about the meaning of "Seven pictures of Buddha" and "Eleven angels of mercy". Why seven and eleven? Why Buddha and angels? Anyone?

I take some of the lines to represent some of the great 70's era "anthems" and drinking with old friends....

reference to turntable

Having a party, let it rain etc.......and needless to say the choice of Mary can be construed as a Thunder Road reference.

It brings back many fond memories for me....many miles and years ago...

i kind of thought of the mary's place as pointing out that sometimes (or always, depending on your point of view) religion isn't enough to get you through the day. sometimes you just need to party.

I think it's meant to show the emotional conflict involved when mourning the death of someone you love, and just 7 days later - right after the funeral, having a party (because she would have wanted that) to celebrate her life.

You can dance - bruce will encourage it. He says something like "Is everyone ready for a house party?" as he begins to play. Everyone does dance and sing.

Although I don't know all the secret places of the English language, i'll try to give my opinion about this question. Like some others, I think it's just a song about HAVING A PARTY. But probably to find some sort of comfort after a disaster. How do you live brokenhearted ? The guys in Nothing Man or in Lonesome Day can't find the answer and experience suicidal temptation. Sometimes some turn to religion (MCOR), or some others end up counting on a miracle... In Mary's Place, I guess the narrator tries to find comfort in "familiar faces" (they're precious things), music played loud, singing and dancing.
Still I'd like to know more about the Buddha / candles / angles references . Can somebody help ?
LM

The number 7 is mentioned in religion quite often.
7 desciples of Jesus
the earth was created in 7 days
7 deadly sins

a google search tells me that "Seven is the number of perfection in the Bible. It appears 424 times from Genesis to Revelation"

Not sure about 11 angels, I'm not a religios person.

CRIPES! I thought he was saying "seven pitchers of bullion"!! We thought this song was about makin' soup at Mary's Place. Damn--I gotta start readin' the lyrics.

VR

I think its a guy whose wife/girlfriend (whatever) is dead/missing, and its about him and his friends trying to get over it down the road. Sort of like a "she would want us to have a party in her honor, lets do that" kind of thing. I see this heartbroken guy wandering through the crowd at the party, trying to act happy, half smiling at people as he pretends to be taking his mind off his girl who is missing.

Seven days, seven candles, in my window lighting your way? She has been missing 7 days, he lights a candle a day, hoping the light guides her back home, like a light house to the boat at sea. I picture this guy sitting in his window looking out towards the city, wondering if she can see him from up there...

Her favorite record is on the turntable, he plays it, praying she returns.