Greasy Lake Community

Sad news here in Oz with the death of Michael Gudinski, record label founder and tour promoter extraordinaire.     Bruce fans down here owe him a huge debt for bringing Bruce back here in 2013, at a time when not many others were willing to take the risk.   And then again in 14 and 17.    I really got a sense that Bruce enjoyed those tours a lot more than he did 85, 97 or 03.    And I suspect that was in no small part due to Gudinski making things run smoothly.

He was also a giant of our local music industry, starting Mushroom Records at a very young age, and signing some of our best acts, including Skyhooks and Split Enz.   And he founded some of our most iconic small to mid-sized music venues.   Arguably the most influential figure in the industry here.     

He didn't always get it right.   His obsession with trying to turn Jimmy Barnes into Australia's Bruce Springsteen always grated with me.     But overall he made music in Australia much, much better.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

This is awful news. And you are right we owe him a great debt for bringing Bruce back to us. I was about to post the news on the Oz Nz tour thread because without Gudinski it would not have happened.

Bruce- 18th.jpg

• Like 2
  • Hug 1

I was lucky enough to see Michael being interviewed at the Woodford Folk Festival in 2019. I remember him coming across as a bit of a larrikin with a wealth of stories from decades in the music business. I recollect him talking about Bruce with considerable affection. I don't believe Bruce would ever have returned to Australia without Michael's intervention. Thanks Michael for my last 18 Bruce concerts and many others. RIP.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

Statement from Bruce (taken from Twitter):

image.png.dc777c8da4c09d9849a45c48f3087dcd.png

Nice tribute. But every promoter he's ever worked with now feels slightly offended.

Btw, didn't he say the same thing about Jim Aiken when he passed on?

• Like 1

To be fair, he didn't say MG was the best. Just said he's never met better. Based on that, there could be 20 of them, all equal best!

I just think Bruce is really appreciative of MG, because he made the tours run so well, after the previous guy down here kind of f√¢ked it up on several occasions.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

To be fair, he didn't say MG was the best. Just said he's never met better. 

So, better than all the other promoters he's met. That makes him the best he's ever met.

Harvey will be livid. Aiken's son won't be far behind.  :-)

The guys was clearly well respected, I've seen other tributes from the likes of Billy Joel, Neil Finn and The Seekers.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Promise61 said:

So, better than all the other promoters he's met. That makes him the best he's ever met.

Harvey will be livid. Aiken's son won't be far behind.  :-)

No, you're missing the point. If he's never met better, others he's met could still be equally good.  Just not better. I can't believe I'm having this conversation.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

No, you're missing the point. If he's never met better, others he's met could still be equally good.  Just not better. I can't believe I'm having this conversation.

Next up, we're doing Waves Vs Sways.  Again.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jukebox said:

Next up, we're doing Waves Vs Sways.  Again.

I subscribe to the belief that it is actually "swaves", but the producers forced him to change it to sways/waves because swaves isn't a word.

• Like 1

That was real nice of Bruce to dedicate the ill see you in my dreams video to him 

• Like 2
On 3/2/2021 at 12:30 PM, Promise61 said:

Nice tribute. But every promoter he's ever worked with now feels slightly offended.

Btw, didn't he say the same thing about Jim Aiken when he passed on?

image.png.303e102ce4f1ea8fd9d6134ba8382174.png99年のEstバンド再結成以降、欧州での大人気の煽りを食らい、日本を含む極東は03年のOZ/NZ4都市5公演を例外にずっと世界ツアーから除外されていたのに、13、14、17年と立て続けにオーストラリア・ツアーが行われたのは、ブルースの信頼を勝ち取ったこのプロモーター氏の力ゆえだった。

Since the reunion of the Est band in 1999, the Far East, including Japan, has been excluded from the world tour with the exception of 5 performances in 4 cities of OZ / NZ in 2003, which has been a big hit in Europe. The Australian tour was held in a row for 17 years because of the power of this promoter who won the trust of Bruce.

https://twitter.com/taddihno/status/1366645003158622208

image.png

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to meet Michael Gudinski a couple of times. The first one was backstage after a Luke Bloom concert a dozen or so years ago. Michael wasn’t the promoter, but can get anywhere. One of our close Paddy friends is close to Barry (Luka).

Then a fortnight later I am waiting at a watering hole for Mrs G and he is doing something similar. Had a close 40 min chat with him then until Mrs G arrived. Didn’t talk Bruce, just mostly Aussie bands. Though I do remember us discussing Joe Jackson for about 15 minutes.

When Mrs G came and he left us alone.

He was full of energy, warmth and interest. I am saddened he is gone.

• Like 4