Greasy Lake Community

Concerts with songs ahead of LP release

Sorry for the rather clunky thread title....I couldn't think of a better way to express my question.

What concert or concerts have the most songs being played ahead of their release on an LP ?Main Point springs to mind but you lot will know much better than me.

The River Tour in 1980 started two weeks before the album was released, so those early shows probably had the most songs not released at the time.

• Like 2

Does Bruce's audition with John Hammond count?  5 songs that ended up on Greetings.  Plus one that eventually ended up on Letter To You.

01- MARY QUEEN OF ARKANSAS
02- IT'S HARD TO BE A SAINT IN THE CITY
03- JAZZ MUSICIAN
04- IF I WAS THE PRIEST
05- ARABIAN NIGHT
06- GROWIN' UP
07- DOES THIS BUS STOP AT 82ND STREET?
08- TWO HEARTS IN TRUE WALTZ TIME
09- STREET QUEEN
10- THE ANGEL
11- SOUTHERN SON
12- COWBOYS OF THE SEA

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Concerts from the darkness era that had point blank 

Love those point blanks :wub:

One of the shows I saw in Pittsburgh on that tour also had the world premiere of Ramrod. :)

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2
17 minutes ago, gsquare said:

One of the shows I saw in Pittsburgh on that tour also had the world premiere of Ramrod. :)

Wow  !

Come on Nr  Nugs - find us that one ! 

• Bruuuuce! 1
3 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

The River Tour in 1980 started two weeks before the album was released, so those early shows probably had the most songs not released at the time.

One of these shows must be the winner, especially a show also including Fire and Because The Night. And considering them [Fire and Because The Night] unreleased as 'unreleased by Bruce himself' (until Live 1975/85).

Early Darkness Tour shows were also before release of the album. The first show in Buffalo, 23 May 1978, 9 Darkness songs were played (missing Factory), also Fire, Paradise By The C and The Promise, that's 12 songs played live before they got an official release.

The Promise in Buffalo was the only ever performance of the song with the band, until the Carousel show in 2010. And:

'A contributor to the Greasy Lake website recalls that Bruce read the lyrics to these two songs from sheets of paper'. That is, the lyrics to Fire and Paradise By The C. The lyrics to Paradise By The C?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Devils and Dust was released on April 26 2005 in the US, April 25 in Europe.

The tour opened April 25th in Detroit.

April 25 / Detroit, MI / Fox Theatre

Setlist: Reason to Believe/Devils & Dust/Youngstown/Lonesome Day/Long Time Comin'/Silver Palomino/For You*/Real World*/Part Man, Part Monkey/Maria's Bed/Highway Patrolman/Black Cowboys/Reno/Racing in the Street*/The Rising/Further On (Up the Road)/Jesus Was an Only Son*/Leah/The Hitter/Matamoros Banks//This Hard Land/Waitin' on a Sunny Day/My Best Was Never Good Enough/The Promised Land
*=piano

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Seeger show I saw at Wembley Arena in 2006 had the first ever playing of Long walk home.

Appeared a year later when Magic was released.

On 3/15/2021 at 7:09 PM, Born To Walk said:

That must have been amazing ! Any set lists available ??

Buffalo May 23, 1978- A week and a half before Darkness was released. 9 out of 10 songs.

1. Badlands

2. Adam Raised A Cain

3. Something In The Night

4. Candys Room

5. Racing In The Street

6. The Promised Land

7. Streets Of Fire

8. Prove It All Night 

9. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Outlaw Darin said:

Buffalo May 23, 1978- A week and a half before Darkness was released. 9 out of 10 songs.

And Fire, Paradise By The C and The Promise. That's 12 songs.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Cameron J. McMenemy said:

Nice 1997 had Long Time Comin' before it's release on Devils and Dust in 2005 

Long Time Comin' was a regular in the setlist last months of 1996 and 1997.

Talking about D & D songs, The Hitter was played once on the Joad Tour. All The Way Home was played a few times in 1992-1993.

Talking about Joad Tour, Brothers Under The Bridge was played at most shows of the Joad Tour before release on Tracks.

Talking about Tracks, there are quite some outtakes that were played live before release on Tracks. Especially the WIESS outtakes, also: Rendezvous, Don't Look Back, Frankie, Man At The Top. This Hard Land was played live before release on Greatest Hits. The Fever and The Promise were  played live before release on 18 Tracks.  Johnny Bye Bye and Part Man, Part Monkey were played live before release as a B-side.

To go into really unhealthy business: Hearts of Stone was also played live before release on Tracks at The Stone in San Francisco on 26 November 1988, together with Southside Johnny & The Asbury Jukes. But this is, indeed, really, really, really unhealthy.:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

However, the topic was about the show with the most songs played live before release. If I counted well, the winners are: St. Paul 13 October 1980 and Milwaukee 14 October 1980, with both 16 songs; including both nights Fire and St. Paul also including Because The Night.

Interesting detective work between 01.00-02.00 AM when you have really nothing else to do in times of lockdowns and curfews.

• Thanks 1