Greasy Lake Community

I find it weird that no one here was upset that Bruce wasn't included in the Grammy talk. Letter To You was/is superb? Best album of the year for me! 

BTW: who won best Rock Album? Was it Taylor Swift for Forklore? If so OK, I get it. But nothing for Bruce?  No nomination? 

Feelings?  

I find it beyond weird to the point of bizarre Bruce received no nominations, etc. I mean, I haven't watched the show since I was 18 but I always check nominees/winners. The Strokes won Best Rock Album. I haven't heard it but I am skeptical it could lay a finger on "Letter To You".

• Like 1

No album could have beaten Folklore. Probably no album in the last ten years could have beaten it. It's pretty much a masterpiece.

I'm sure Zimny will get some nominations for the documentary in whatever back slapping award show covers that.

13 minutes ago, homesquid said:

I find it beyond weird to the point of bizarre Bruce received no nominations, etc. I mean, I haven't watched the show since I was 18 but I always check nominees/winners. The Strokes won Best Rock Album. I haven't heard it but I am skeptical it could lay a finger on "Letter To You".

I've come to love The Strokes and their new album as I have with TS. But being shut out with not a mention? But it also seems Bruce isn't that upset either, not a word from him or JLM. 

I can say yet again the Letter to You is my #1. 

1 minute ago, Born To Walk said:

When's the qualifying date? Was LTY released too late in the year?

Found the answer. Yes, it was released too late.

image.png.ec9a9e9dc97598e62b585f697dbfc8fa.png

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Born To Walk said:

Could it be that people knew this and therefore weren't bothered by the results? ;)

• Like 3
Just now, Born To Walk said:

Yes, I did the same. But I thought it was only for that 2018-2019 year. Even if still true, will LTY be notable a year from now? Shit we have stopped talking about here of all places. Why would he release at that time knowing that it wouldn't be recognized for a whole year? Again, maybe he doesn't want or need the attention any longer?  

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Again, maybe he doesn't want or need the attention any longer?  

I'm sure he'd like to win one of the big ones that he's never won, but doubt he loses sleep over it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Promise61 said:

No album could have beaten Folklore. Probably no album in the last ten years could have beaten it. It's pretty much a masterpiece.

I'm sure Zimny will get some nominations for the documentary in whatever back slapping award show covers that.

Not sure I have heard a single track.

Let's face it, the current world of music does not revolve around Bruce and few people would have even listened to the album outside of us fans, especially anyone under 30/40. The youth of today is on a completely different wavelength regarding music tastes and I for one am happy to see that. It amazes me how people on here seem so surprised by that though.  

Letter To You is a very enjoyable album but as an avid music listener, I don't see how it offered anything new or groundbreaking in any area? There were a lot of better albums released out there last year in my opinion.

• Like 5

Bruce is no longer in the demographic the Grammys targets. Except perhaps for the Oscars, most awards shows are about the popularity and sales of an artist, mostly in the mainstream. I stopped caring about/watching the Grammys around the early 90s. 

Just now, JustDan said:

I stopped caring about/watching the Grammys around the early 90s.

Was that when Jethro Tull won best Heavy Metal artist over Metallica? :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
35 minutes ago, Seebab said:

Let's face it, the current world of music does not revolve around Bruce and few people would have even listened to the album outside of us fans, especially anyone under 30/40. The youth of today is on a completely different wavelength regarding music tastes and I for one am happy to see that. It amazes me how people on here seem so surprised by that though.  

Letter To You is a very enjoyable album but as an avid music listener, I don't see how it offered anything new or groundbreaking in any area? There were a lot of better albums released out there last year in my opinion.

Agreed. It's appropriate, I think to give yet another shout out for the near genius Jack Antonoff. He co produced Folklore with Aaron Dessner and discovering the two Bleachers albums (via the track, Chinatown) was an absolutely joyous revelation. The kid is the future.

33 minutes ago, Seebab said:

I had to check your profile to see you're a couple years older then my daughter is. Who has introduced me into some music I thought I would have never listened to. Like The National, The Decemberist, Local Natives and The Killers love them all. The Strokes won best Rock Album, love them and that album. Which I newly found because of Pearl Jam Radio on XM. As happy as I've been about finding these new artist, I would think the younger people would be in finding the greatest in Bruce, as you and my daughter has. The Grammy's is a conduit for this type exposure. We will need to wait until next year to see if that happens.  

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

I'm sure he'd like to win one of the big ones that he's never won, but doubt he loses sleep over it.

I don't know.

Im still upset about the raising and i wasn't quite back on this train for that one 

Ive got the feeling the  Grammies nomminatiins are a bit of a joke anyway 

7 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I had to check your profile to see you're a couple years older then my daughter is. Who has introduced me into some music I thought I would have never listened to. Like The National, The Decemberist, Local Natives and The Killers love them all. The Strokes won best Rock Album, love them and that album. Which I newly found because of Pearl Jam Radio on XM. As happy as I've been about finding these new artist, I would think the younger people would be in finding the greatest in Bruce, as you and my daughter has. The Grammy's is a conduit for this type exposure. We will need to wait until next year to see if that happens.  

Yes, indeed, but it wasn't Letter To You that got me into Bruce twelve years ago at the age of 19. It was more like Darkness, WIESS, Born To Run and the live 1978 performances :D. If I hadn't gotten into Bruce then, as a "neutral" music listener, I would have probably played LTY out of interest, listened to it a couple of times and moved on to something else. A lot of people my age or younger would consider LTY "dad rock" now I reckon.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Seebab said:

A lot of people my age or younger would consider LTY "dad rock" now I reckon

Surely the Grammys have a 'Best Dad Rock Album' award. They seem to have a category for everything else. :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Surely the Grammys have a 'Best Dad Rock Album' award. They seem to have a category for everything else. :P

Better Dad rock than crap rock any day if you ask me 

Bruce has won 20 Grammys and numerous other awards during his career.

He is one of the most successful singer/songwriters of all time.

Yes, in my opinion he should have won more awards, but I doubt he is losing much sleep over it.

I was surprised Western Stars got zero nominations.

The Grammy's are trying to move away from their reputation of only rewarding 'boomer' musicians. Gone are the days of Bruce winning a Grammy for minor stuff like Code of Silence - a freaking live cut of an outtake that was on his second greatest hits set.

• Like 2