Greasy Lake Community

When listening to Bruce concert audio, can you tell which guitar is which?

Durring the WB tour i got quite good at telling Bruce, Nils and Steve apart

Just recently on one of the archive releases Nils for some unknown but stupid reason desided to play like he was Tom

I was not at all impressed 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

No, you can't tell? Or No you don't like my list? Either way I'm good! 

No, I can't tell.

Daisey has already passed adequate comment on your list :lol:

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, E Street nation said:

Is steves microphone turned up louder than nils? Imo nils has rhe best voice in the band

I think Steve has a louder voice than Nils, sings louder anyway and also sings backing vocals on louder songs, i.e. more rock songs, Nils sings more backing vocals on ballads, no? Hence the difference.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tenthavenuefreezeout said:

Really? They turn off the sound?

No, they don't.

It was a sort of joke that came up some years ago on this forum, about the fact you can't hear Patti's guitar on recordings of the Reunion Tour, and what the point was of her playing guitar anyway, as a sort of 4th guitar player in the band. Then the joke came up that the reason you can't hear Patti's guitar could be the sound of her guitar was turned off. Or at least that is my recollection.

As a non-audiophile, I could not tell you if you can really not hear her guitar or that it is just buried in the mix, or something else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On recordings, I have a hard time hearing distinct guitars in the first place (obvious exceptions excluded) because the guitars on his records and live albums are often way down in the mix.

On stage, telling them apart is no problem. Pretty much all the guitar you will often hear is Bruce because his telecaster friggin' dominates. I never conceived of Bruce/ESB as a guitar band. Until I saw them live. The guitar-heaviness blew me away, and whenever Bruce would stop playing, even if only for a second, the whole band lost its driving force.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DennisC said:

Seriously?

Left channel: Nils

center: Bruce

right channel: Steve

not that hard really.

Not all of us can afford eleventy gazillion dollarydoos for a stereo that allows these distinctions.  I'm not even sure they are that clearly separated

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, E Street nation said:

Is steves microphone turned up louder than nils? Imo nils has rhe best voice in the band

Disagree. Steve's unorthodox but effective backing vocals are a big part of the E Street sound IMO.   Not a fan of Nils' singing.  As to your question on mic volume, don't forget that in songs which feature Steve, he's often singing into the same mic as Bruce.

4 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

Not all of us can afford eleventy gazillion dollarydoos for a stereo that allows these distinctions.  I'm not even sure they are that clearly separated

Well, they are.

19 hours ago, Lampi said:

The guitar you can't hear because the sound is turned off, is Patti.

Good Afternoon Lampi.

I tried to let this one go -- but alas could not. What a f--- chauvinistic thing to write. It says more about you.

EDIT: Please do not ping me if you have a comment -- No interest in further engagement -- Thanks in advance!

24 minutes ago, sunshine2020 said:

Good Afternoon Lampi.

I tried to let this one go -- but alas could not. What a f--- chauvinistic thing to write. It says more about you.

Why chauvinistic? I've been up front a number of times and have NEVER been able to hear her guitar, while being able to clearly identify the other three on stage. She basically strums  a couple of very basic chords. Whether you hear that or not doesn't make a difference at all with three other, mostly electric, guitars in the mix.

Now, if they actually turned off her mic..

And before I get accused of being a chauvinist: I like her voice and her solo stuff a lot. She just feels totally out of place on E Street.

6 minutes ago, NoneButTheBrave said:

She just feels totally out of place on E Street.

Not on the 80s tours, where she really added something new to the band.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gretsch Country Gentleman said:

Disagree. Steve's unorthodox but effective backing vocals are a big part of the E Street sound IMO.   Not a fan of Nils' singing.  As to your question on mic volume, don't forget that in songs which feature Steve, he's often singing into the same mic as Bruce.

I'm not a fan of Steve's singing. I would prefer to listen to a Nils show over a Steve show.

Nevertheless I agree that Steve's backing vocals were a big part of the ESB sound. IMHO Patti was added to the band to replace Steve's backing vocals. Nils voice is softer than Steve's. Patti can sing louder at a higher pitch. She replaced Steve adequately on 1984-5 versions of Out in the Street. The rest is history.

To my (unprofessional) ear, Bruces solo's always have pretty much the same tone, and a style that he doesn't stray too far from (of course, he could do - he's a very competent player).

I could be wrong, but it sounds like there's no effects/treatment on the sound, and it's him playing the Tele in it's raw state that we hear.