Greasy Lake Community

2 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

No worries, it must just be a NZ thing 

Today when i was out walking to the chemist (no nice cherry young Bruce fans at our chemist) i saw a monarch butterfly

They are my  sweet soul departed greasylake freinds :)

Awww!! Beautiful.. I always look out for signs too. It’s comforting to think they’re always with us :) 

• Like 2
  • Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It breaks my heart to have to let you all know, that my best friend, my American Mom and dare I say it, Bruce’s number 1 fan, @rosiejaneymary sadly passed away peacefully yesterday.    Marsha w

Hi everyone  I’m sorry I haven’t been on to say much lately, I’ve really been finding it hard to deal with this and everything and I just don’t know how to cope with it at all, to be honest. I’ve

Hi everyone Just an update that the proof of the plaque is on its way, and we will hopefully see the bench before summer. Sorry to not have spoken for a little while, I’ve been a little overwhelm

Posted Images

1 minute ago, rachelharms said:

I really had no idea about the fee for you so I will donate an extra $10 to cover the amount you spend on fees so it can go to St Judes on your behalf :) 

Oh no honest its ok Rachel

You work too hard for your money to have to worry about NZ paypal fees

I was just posting out of frustration  - typical of me 

How 'bout you just spend a few bob on yourself 

Your fav chocky bar (or two) a nice cold drink from a fancy juice bar on the next hot day, a moccachino and a nice bickie on the way to work :)

Its honestly fine

(I mean its not fine, because we don't have dear Marsha :( but you know what i mean

On 4/3/2021 at 6:19 AM, rachelharms said:

Ok, I’ve figured out a way to do this! Through PayPal money pools where you can start a collection between friends. I’ve set one up titled ‘Marsha’s Memorial Bench’ and if you contribute your name will be shown and you will be able to see how much is raised. I haven’t put an end date on it so there’s no pressure to contribute straight away or even in the next week or so. Of course I will post updates about this collection on this thread and I will get back in touch with the people in AP who are responsible for the benches to let them know the situation. Is this okay with everyone? 

here’s the link to the collection pool: https://paypal.me/pools/c/8yg4bbvGF7

thank you again ❤️

Edit: I also put £600 as the target because it wouldn’t let me change it to dollars and I’m not sure what $650 converts to in pounds?? 

If any one else still wants to donate the link is in Rachel's post ive quoted above :)

4 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

DFA947E8-2068-4658-9275-75F8E5F15409.thumb.jpeg.85290dc8fcfe586c109a44c69d611c7c.jpeg

Still receiving contributions (which is just incredible) so I wanted to show you where we are at now. We’ve almost raised £1000 in Marsha’s memory, which I think works out at around $1350... I can’t believe it. 

Once the bench is paid for, which should be the next day or so, it looks like we’ll have around $700 to do a memorial donation to St.Jude’s. 

Everyone’s kindness and generosity has been so overwhelming. I never expected this.. especially with how hard times are right now. I think it just shows the impact that our RJM had here and I hope that she is smiling somewhere. 

Wow ! 

That's like a gizillion NZ dollars ;)

You did really well Rach* :)

(We shorten everybody's name in NZ ;))

I wish we did menorial benches so easierly  in this country, its such a wonderful idea 

5 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Oh no honest its ok Rachel

You work too hard for your money to have to worry about NZ paypal fees

I was just posting out of frustration  - typical of me 

How 'bout you just spend a few bob on yourself 

Your fav chocky bar (or two) a nice cold drink from a fancy juice bar on the next hot day, a moccachino and a nice bickie on the way to work :)

Its honestly fine

(I mean its not fine, because we don't have dear Marsha :( but you know what i mean

You are the sweetest Daisey! I really don’t want you to feel bad about the fees, I feel bad they were even a thing for you. 

Ive just treated myself to some black coffee (I quit drinking it many months ago) in memory of Marsha and my new mug.. I’ll post pics in a minute!

• Hug 1
5 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Wow ! 

That's like a gizillion NZ dollars ;)

You did really well Rach* :)

(We shorten everybody's name in NZ ;))

I wish we did menorial benches so easierly  in this country, its such a wonderful idea 

Rach is cute! I like Rach :) thank you.. WE did really well! It’s the power and kindness of community :) 

• Like 1
  • Hug 1
2 hours ago, rachelharms said:

So we all know of Marsha’s love of all things Peanuts.. she would always send me a card at Christmas with a Peanuts sticker or send me Peanuts quote pictures and cards. 

Well I went into the town next to mine for the first time since December, into a little store I’d never been in, or really paid much attention to before. It’s one of those independent stores that is like a house inside. So I went up the first set of stairs, and they had an abundance of American candy and snacks. Heaven for me. I haven’t had those things in over a year, so of course I stocked up on airheads, Pepperidge farm goldfish etc. Up to the second flight of stairs, and the first thing I see is a corner full of vinyl records and a Bruce record staring me in the face. I’m On Fire to be exact (which I was tempted to buy, despite already having it in about 3 different versions). I turned the other way to a small room and in there on the top shelf was a selection of Peanuts mugs. The kind of mugs that you keep forever, if you know what I mean. Mugs that are always at the back of the cupboard, survive moves, marriages, families etc. They had 3 different ones, and I chose the one in the middle with all of the characters on the front. 

I went back to the record section and looked for Bruce, where they had 3 records. Two I had, but I didn’t actually have a vintage Darkness record yet. Singles and promos, but not the actual album. So I bought it.. and a Billy Joel one too. 

Today I got some nice coffee, a new cafetière and made myself a beautiful cup of black coffee in my new mug. One of the things that bonded me and Marsha together, was our love of Gilmore Girls, and if you’ve seen it, you know coffee is a big role in that series. I often referred to Marsha as the Lorelei to my Rory. Where she leads, I will follow. Well, I made my first cup of black coffee for months after quitting drinking it, in my new mug, and the first sip was like a warm hug encasing me. I let the tears come to my eyes, and then I began typing this. And here we are. I took some pictures of the mug to share with everyone, because I hope that I have it forever. I hope that it survives moves, marriage and families. I hope that one day in the future, maybe my future kids will point to the mug and ask about it.. and I’ll tell them this story, and all about our friend Marsha. 

A0A60472-F502-49DE-92AF-31B49806E7D1.thumb.jpeg.6ebf641f7e35fc7a570fa850b95bb3a4.jpegF7702FC1-8B9E-4421-B07A-D60767467718.thumb.jpeg.a448c03d9896670bed063024f2ae72d2.jpeg

That's so awsome!

It sounds like a much bigger version of the shop on Maranda 

Im afraid im not a Girlmore fan but i do love American lollies and Snoopy

Enjoy 

I ment to say @rachelharms cool getting that old Darkness album

you know after mum died that's the only think Bruce related i spent her and Dad's money on 

• 2 weeks later...

I am so, so sorry to see this news. Loved her and even discovering she was a big Peanuts fan is so bittersweet. That is something else I would have been commenting on to her. Now I am going to go pick out a Peanuts t-shirt to wear in her honour (and yes I am proudly dorky enough to have a couple). Some people literally don't care what people will think of them when they are gone but I think Marsha would be pleased to see how many people she touched while she was with us. Rest in peace.

• Like 5
  • Hug 2
4 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

I know that video is how we should remember Marsha

I am so glad to have seen that and, yes, that's how I'll remember her. x

Lovely tribute from Ray.

• Like 5
  • Hug 1

I have to emotional prepair to watch Ray's video

I need to find a ton of hankies first

I'll watch it tonight

Thanks so much to Ray for shearing it with us 

That's really cool Ray got to meet the kids each year because when Marsha was still teaching i loved the stories about her wee kiddies so much 

I just assumed I'd get to see a show with Marsha and Ray, but you just cant assume anything in this life

I always wished Gary was just a little bit like Ray :);)

• Like 3
  • Hug 1

Thanks Rachel for all you have done, and for including Ray and his thoughts here, shared with all of us.

I am expecting a continuous stream of "Me at Marsha's Bench" photos to come rolling in this summer

• Like 4
  • Love Love Love! 3
  • Hug 1

Thank you Rachel for the idea of the bench and for bringing it to life.

Thank you Ray for your post about Marsha. That video is awesome, thank you for sharing it with us. 

• Like 2
  • Hug 1

Well done Rachel, for all you have taken on and done in these past few months, and thank you for posting those heartfelt words from Ray, there were a few of those pesky flies in my eyes when I read them, I just hope what you have done has gone some little way to helping the family through this very difficult time for them.

Unfortunately I was unable to view the video, I only had had plain green screen, no picture but the audio was OK, any one else the same and any ideas on how to solve this ?

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Hug 1
19 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Thank YOU, Ray, for your kind words! Oh, what a wonderful video of our Marsha. Her happiness shines through. 

Thanks again, Rachel, for all you've done.

Will have to watch when I get home, only thinking of her yesterday, still doesn't seem true.

• Like 1
  • Hug 4
  • CmonMrTrouble changed the title to My American Mom - UPDATE