Greasy Lake Community

My American Mom - UPDATE

20 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

I got tickets for the first night of the Abba thing in London next year though so that’s something fun and exciting to look forward to

That was well done considering the meltdown Ticketmaster was suffering on Sunday morning.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

That was well done considering the meltdown Ticketmaster was suffering on Sunday morning.

Oh I know, i was looking at the hashtag on Twitter and it seemed like every single person had a problem paying except for me. I got on at 10 and there was only 1000 people in the queue ahead, and by 10:06 I had two tickets for opening night. I had to buy the hotel package though because they didn’t have standard general admission.. I’m excited to dance and sing my lil heart out though

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 1

1 minute ago, rachelharms said:

Oh I know, i was looking at the hashtag on Twitter and it seemed like every single person had a problem paying except for me. I got on at 10 and there was only 1000 people in the queue ahead, and by 10:06 I had two tickets for opening night. I had to buy the hotel package though because they didn’t have standard general admission.. I’m excited to dance and sing my lil heart out though

The system was allocating tickets, but then not completing the transaction saying that there were "no more tickets for this promotion". After an hour of that I left it for an hour, went back and got exactly what I wanted first go. Clearly the system couldn't cope despite the queuing system which is surely designed to have only a manageable number of people selecting tickets at any time.

• Bruuuuce! 1

5 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

The system was allocating tickets, but then not completing the transaction saying that there were "no more tickets for this promotion". After an hour of that I left it for an hour, went back and got exactly what I wanted first go. Clearly the system couldn't cope despite the queuing system which is surely designed to have only a manageable number of people selecting tickets at any time.

I’m glad you managed to get in eventually! Did you get the date you wanted? I saw that the first night was sold out before it went on general sale, so I feel super lucky to have got those tickets. I wonder if any of the members will be there, or if there will be a show before that for press etc 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rachelharms said:

I’m glad you managed to get in eventually! Did you get the date you wanted? I saw that the first night was sold out before it went on general sale, so I feel super lucky to have got those tickets. I wonder if any of the members will be there, or if there will be a show before that for press etc 

I got second row of the first section of seating for a Saturday afternoon in early July, which was exactly what I wanted. (I'm too old for that jigging around stuff :lol:)

I would expect Benny & Bjorn to be there first night. Given how much Agnetha avoids the limelight I would be surprised if she went and Frida will probably stay away if Agnetha does. Just my guess. There may also be a chance of B&B turning up at random dates thereafter, although that may be a long shot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Born To Walk said:

I got second row of the first section of seating for a Saturday afternoon in early July, which was exactly what I wanted. (I'm too old for that jigging around stuff :lol:)

I would expect Benny & Bjorn to be there first night. Given how much Agnetha avoids the limelight I would be surprised if she went and Frida will probably stay away if Agnetha does. Just my guess. There may also be a chance of B&B turning up at random dates thereafter, although that may be a long shot.

Don’t go too wild!! :lol: I’m glad you got what you hoped for. I on the other hand plan on perfecting my dance moves for the next 8 months :D

If they are, I will probably pass out. I know Agnetha and Frida going is a long shot but if they did, I don’t think I’d ever recover. I think Benny and Björn will definitely pop up here and there, they really love it and they like engaging which is nice. I’m sad it’s so long away, I’m excited!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rachelharms said:

You are the sweetest

i will definitely try and find a way to honour Marsha in every thing that I do, and every day that I can. I hope that I do something for my birthday that can make me feel like I shared it with her. The day before my birthday will be 2 years since the last time we were together, so it’s going to be hard either way. 

No SOB for me sadly.. I had hoped and prayed but it wasn’t meant to be. I won’t let myself be too sad because the luck I had the first run was more than I could have hoped for and nothing will compare to that birthday show, right? I’d hoped to be there for Sea Hear Now next week too but that’s looking unlikely. It’s just a lot of disappointment but it’s out of my control

I got tickets for the first night of the Abba thing in London next year though so that’s something fun and exciting to look forward to

Sending hugs ❤️

oh (im sure Marsha would enjoy some exuberance) that is so Excitting about ABBA.  there is a thread in juke joints so please share 

hopefully by next years the world will have returned to some normality 

in the meantime we just all have to stay as safe as we can

next door to my work is a chemist shop

there is a bright young lady there who makes me think of you :)

on the days she doesn't buy lunch we heat her leftovers up for her so we see her most days 

39 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

oh (im sure Marsha would enjoy some exuberance) that is so Excitting about ABBA.  there is a thread in juke joints so please share 

hopefully by next years the world will have returned to some normality 

in the meantime we just all have to stay as safe as we can

next door to my work is a chemist shop

there is a bright young lady there who makes me think of you :)

on the days she doesn't buy lunch we heat her leftovers up for her so we see her most days 

I just saw you tagged me in it so I had a read!! Thank you I didn’t realise :) maybe other lakers will be there the same night and I’ll get to say hi. It’s been a while since I’ve gotten to say hi to anyone! 

awwwww that’s so cute!! I’m starting at a new chemist on Monday. I’ve been transferred to a little one. Maybe it looks like the one next to you! That’s so nice. I’m really nervous, I’ve been at my work for so long and it feels like a big change. Hopefully a positive one!!

• Hug 1

4 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

I just saw you tagged me in it so I had a read!! Thank you I didn’t realise :) maybe other lakers will be there the same night and I’ll get to say hi. It’s been a while since I’ve gotten to say hi to anyone! 

awwwww that’s so cute!! I’m starting at a new chemist on Monday. I’ve been transferred to a little one. Maybe it looks like the one next to you! That’s so nice. I’m really nervous, I’ve been at my work for so long and it feels like a big change. Hopefully a positive one!!

a smaller place can be good.

its eaiser to learn everybody's name !

i hope the people (and customers) are nice and welcoming 

the one next door to work is in quite an affluent neighbourhod so they do lovelly gift lines 

best of luck xxx

• Hug 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, rachelharms said:

November I can travel!! It’s been 19 months since I was last in Asbury Park! I can finally see the bench! My heart is going to burst 

@rachelharms Do you need to apply for a new ESTA?

If so, can you please check if Eligibility question 9 still refers to Sudan?

image.png.13f81426d0578cbecdfbbe840c8b260c.png

The US removed from Sudan from the list of nations that sponsor terror in December 2020, but I don't know if that also meant dropping it from the ESTA eligibility.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

The US removed from Sudan from the list of nations that sponsor terror in December 2020, but I don't know if that also meant dropping it from the ESTA eligibility.

Thanks

I’m not 100% sure when mine expires, I’ll have a look this week and let you know! I assume that it will have, I think they only last for 2 years 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Thanks

back in the day ( before the end of apartid) and before the world went electronic my South African visa was detachable so no one knew i had been there

WAs Sudan worth it ?

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

back in the day ( before the end of apartid) and before the world went electronic my South African visa was detachable so no one knew i had been there

WAs Sudan worth it ?

After his stint in Auckland, my brother’s next post was Lagos. He liked to take advantage of his overseas posting and travel. Obviously, both South Africa and Rhodesia were visas you couldn’t have when traveling in and out of Nigeria and surrounding countries. So he was able to get a second passport, normally prohibited. But his regular doubles partner when in Lagos was the US Ambassador ;) 

• Like 1

Since it’s Bruce’s birthday today, here is a photo Marsha sent me of her signing a giant Bruce birthday card a couple of years ago. It’s already 6 months without her and I miss her more and more every day. It breaks my heart listening to Bruce still, but hearing him today just made me overwhelmed with emotion of thinking of her and I went through our old messages for the thousandth time. 

i just thought I’d share this because it makes me happy seeing her so happy 

ABB9729D-8ABF-4F98-9526-3308863B9FDA.thumb.jpeg.4f1a23338833297bdaeba221ea34b3d0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 2
  • Hug 3

3 hours ago, rachelharms said:

Since it’s Bruce’s birthday today, here is a photo Marsha sent me of her signing a giant Bruce birthday card a couple of years ago. It’s already 6 months without her and I miss her more and more every day. It breaks my heart listening to Bruce still, but hearing him today just made me overwhelmed with emotion of thinking of her and I went through our old messages for the thousandth time. 

i just thought I’d share this because it makes me happy seeing her so happy 

ABB9729D-8ABF-4F98-9526-3308863B9FDA.thumb.jpeg.4f1a23338833297bdaeba221ea34b3d0.jpeg

Hope to see you on Saturday.

I just finished watching Marsha’s memorial service via zoom. It was a beautiful celebration of her life, filled with all of those who love her and were lucky enough to have been blessed to know her

I cried like a baby through the whole thing, to the point where I could hardly breathe. I think that watching it really kind of gave me more of a sense of ok, it really happened. It was so beautiful to hear everyone’s kind words though and to see so many familiar faces and put faces to names of the people Marsha talked so fondly of. My heart just breaks. 

I remember the day I was told she was gone, and I sat outside on the step that night crying and I looked for the brightest star in the sky and I told myself, thats Marsha. She was the brightest light in my life and I’m so blessed to have crossed paths with her. Like, who’d have thought a 23 year old girl from a little town in England would cross paths with this incredible Jersey girl? How lucky am I? 

It hurts to have not been able to be there in person but I really am so grateful it was recorded and I know that like Ray said during the service, it’s a day I’ll remember for the rest of my life. A beautiful September day where everyone came together to celebrate a truly remarkable person 

I miss her so much, and I feel like there is a part of me missing. But all I know is that I have to think of the amazing memories that we shared, and to think of her smiling quoting Bruce lyrics to me. That was Marsha and that will always be Marsha 

• Hug 7

1 hour ago, rachelharms said:

I just finished watching Marsha’s memorial service via zoom. It was a beautiful celebration of her life, filled with all of those who love her and were lucky enough to have been blessed to know her

I cried like a baby through the whole thing, to the point where I could hardly breathe. I think that watching it really kind of gave me more of a sense of ok, it really happened. It was so beautiful to hear everyone’s kind words though and to see so many familiar faces and put faces to names of the people Marsha talked so fondly of. My heart just breaks. 

I remember the day I was told she was gone, and I sat outside on the step that night crying and I looked for the brightest star in the sky and I told myself, thats Marsha. She was the brightest light in my life and I’m so blessed to have crossed paths with her. Like, who’d have thought a 23 year old girl from a little town in England would cross paths with this incredible Jersey girl? How lucky am I? 

It hurts to have not been able to be there in person but I really am so grateful it was recorded and I know that like Ray said during the service, it’s a day I’ll remember for the rest of my life. A beautiful September day where everyone came together to celebrate a truly remarkable person 

I miss her so much, and I feel like there is a part of me missing. But all I know is that I have to think of the amazing memories that we shared, and to think of her smiling quoting Bruce lyrics to me. That was Marsha and that will always be Marsha 

i was thinking of you this morning Rach

the whole pandemic thing is a real bastard

as is death in general

Ray was so brave

im sure Marsha's Daddy was waiting for her

Marsha must have  just smiled the whole time from looking at all those wonderful pictures

she was just the most wonderful person, i dont know how she found the time and energy over a lifetime to touch and reach so many people, but that must have been her calling

i saw her bench down the shore near the end

how lucky you both were to have known each other in face to face life

i hope she would have laughed because during the photo  montach with ill see you in my dreams i discovered cat poo and a huge puddle of cat widdle in the kitchen (thanks Borris)

dang - i have to leave for work

take care everybody

love NIcky xxx

• Hug 3

10 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

i was thinking of you this morning Rach

the whole pandemic thing is a real bastard

as is death in general

Ray was so brave

im sure Marsha's Daddy was waiting for her

Marsha must have  just smiled the whole time from looking at all those wonderful pictures

she was just the most wonderful person, i dont know how she found the time and energy over a lifetime to touch and reach so many people, but that must have been her calling

i saw her bench down the shore near the end

how lucky you both were to have known each other in face to face life

i hope she would have laughed because during the photo  montach with ill see you in my dreams i discovered cat poo and a huge puddle of cat widdle in the kitchen (thanks Borris)

dang - i have to leave for work

take care everybody

love NIcky xxx

You’re so sweet

i saw you had joined the zoom and I was happy to know you were there too & we could share the moment together 

that’s so true, it was so lovely to see so many people who’s lives were made better by knowing her 

I saw the photo of the bench!! That was emotional.. My heart is so full seeing that there. When I think of where she is now, I picture her sitting on that bench 

I’m just so grateful to have known her. I can’t explain how grateful I am, and to have been supported by her the way that I was and cared for the way that I was. She was truly an angel 

Aww bless you!! I know she would be so happy to have known you were part of it

have a good day at work

love & hugs xo

• Like 1
  • Hug 1

1 hour ago, rachelharms said:

You’re so sweet

i saw you had joined the zoom and I was happy to know you were there too & we could share the moment together 

that’s so true, it was so lovely to see so many people who’s lives were made better by knowing her 

I saw the photo of the bench!! That was emotional.. My heart is so full seeing that there. When I think of where she is now, I picture her sitting on that bench 

I’m just so grateful to have known her. I can’t explain how grateful I am, and to have been supported by her the way that I was and cared for the way that I was. She was truly an angel 

Aww bless you!! I know she would be so happy to have known you were part of it

have a good day at work

love & hugs xo

thank you Dear Rachell

i saw a monarch buttetfly on the way to work

its quite a cooler spring day here today so im hoping its a beautuful autum day in NJ and also where you are 

• Hug 1

8 hours ago, rachelharms said:

I'd like to have watched the memorial service, Rachel. Was there a message/reminder about it somewhere?

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 6:01 AM, janeymarywendy said:

I'd like to have watched the memorial service, Rachel. Was there a message/reminder about it somewhere?

On 9/27/2021 at 7:11 AM, jmw said:

Same here, we did toast her on Saturday . 

Ray organised for the celebration of life to be on Zoom and sent an email invitation to me and a few others close to Marsha. I wasn’t sure if it was ok or not to share the link to it but he said it was recorded, so hopefully I’ll be able to share the full thing with you soon :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3