Greasy Lake Community

My American Mom - UPDATE

37 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

I really feel horrible asking people for money during these times but I didn’t want to not give people the option to contribute if they would like to. I know how much she meant to people here and it seems only right to ask if people would like to be involved. Of course if it’s okay with the mods too

I am not certain using a GoFundMe type of site would even be necessary for such a small amount. 

I would happily send/Paypal my money to Rachel and know without a doubt she will do the right thing with it.

Simplifies a lot of things, and probably will be funded by the end of the week. 

Rachel, put me down for the first $100 US

Mikey

PS: And I will speak for the others, it's OK with the Mods

• Like 5
  • Hug 1

10 hours ago, rachelharms said:

As I mentioned above, I’ve had a tough few days now dealing with everything and it’s honestly been one of the worst weeks of my entire life. 

I’ve felt however that I can’t just sit around and do nothing, and not do something to honour @rosiejaneymary and everything she was and loved. So I thought to myself what can I do? What came to mind, is that I would like to get Marsha a memorial bench dedicated to her in Asbury Park. Of course my first thought was to check with her husband Ray to make sure that he was ok with it and he loves the idea which makes me so happy. For Marsha to have her own presence on the Asbury Park boardwalk, where we spent so much time looking out at the ocean, breathing in the salty sea air and being at our happiest. I know that’s where Marsha was her happiest, so this is something I really want to do for her. 

I emailed the Asbury Park Chamber of Commerce and they said it would be fine for me to send a check for the cost of the memorial bench from England. It’s $650 and I’m totally fine paying it by myself, but I’ve been thinking about it and I just felt like it would be wrong of me to go ahead and do it without mentioning it on here and asking if anyone would like to contribute. I’m not asking for contributions, I know money is tight now more than ever, but I know how much Marsha meant to so many people on here and it just felt wrong to make this something that was just mine. She was our Rosie. I’m not expecting anything from anyone, so please don’t feel obligated. I just wanted to give people the option to be involved if they would like to be. I’m not sure how I will work it out, but I guess someone will know how to. 

Anyway, I hope that I can get the memorial bench organised soon. Due to Covid I think the benches might still be removed from the boardwalk? But the site says they will be placed back when it’s safe, and the memorial plaque will be there for years to come. Perhaps if any of us visit Asbury we’ll be able to look out for the bench, and take some time to say hi to our dear friend. ❤️

What a great thing to do, Rachel! I will be more than happy to donate as soon as it’s organised. And when we are able to travel again, the bench to remember Marsha would be the first and foremost reason for me and my husband to visit Asbury Park again, Bruce show or not. Thank you Rachel, and mods!❤️

• Like 4
  • Hug 1

18 hours ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

I am not certain using a GoFundMe type of site would even be necessary for such a small amount. 

I would happily send/Paypal my money to Rachel and know without a doubt she will do the right thing with it.

Simplifies a lot of things, and probably will be funded by the end of the week. 

Rachel, put me down for the first $100 US

Mikey

PS: And I will speak for the others, it's OK with the Mods

I’m happy to do it through PayPal if people are comfortable with that. I of course will provide all of the proof of everything because I know that’s important. I have to mail the check from England, but I’m not sure if I emailed the AP chamber of commerce again if I could maybe do a bank transfer instead. 

that is so so kind of you Mikey. It really means so much to see people wanting to contribute and I know that Ray is going to be blown away by everyone’s generosity on here

I will wait a few days before I begin anything to give people the chance to see the post and then I will go to Ray and let him know what we’ve managed to gather together. Of course if there was to be surplus then I would ask him which charity he would like it to be donated to 

• Like 4
  • Hug 3

4 hours ago, JaneyJaney said:

Count me in too Rachel. This will be a lovely tribute 

That is so wonderful thank you ❤️ I really hope that it all works out

@rachelharms my donation will be tiny but i would like to donate something symbolic from my first bakery paycheck (its just a tiny part time job)

But as its still my first week the owner doesn't have all my details set up yet so my first pay might be a week away

• Like 1

If any one has seen it could they please post Marsha's death notice (as i do not know the name of her mom) and ive tried googerling but can't find her 

Im tidying up the spair room and i found a present for Marsha that's sitting here till i could afford the postage :(

I had no idea ALS was fatal :(

• Like 2
  • Hug 1

18 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Nice to see you @Horley2

I wish it were under happier circumstances 

Marsha  spoke so highly of you 

Thanks, Daisey. I know. I have been away from GL for too long. No specific reason or not done intentionally. It is likely due to the fact that I spend all morning and afternoon on the computer, especially now, that when I arrive home from school I try to avoid the computer. I am a teacher in NJ. We have been teaching to remote students, in some fashion, since last March. Before March 2020, I still spent too much time on the computer in school.

You brought a smile to my face noting that Marsha spoke of me.

• Hug 3

Ok, I’ve figured out a way to do this! Through PayPal money pools where you can start a collection between friends. I’ve set one up titled ‘Marsha’s Memorial Bench’ and if you contribute your name will be shown and you will be able to see how much is raised. I haven’t put an end date on it so there’s no pressure to contribute straight away or even in the next week or so. Of course I will post updates about this collection on this thread and I will get back in touch with the people in AP who are responsible for the benches to let them know the situation. Is this okay with everyone? 

here’s the link to the collection pool: https://paypal.me/pools/c/8yg4bbvGF7

thank you again ❤️

Edit: I also put £600 as the target because it wouldn’t let me change it to dollars and I’m not sure what $650 converts to in pounds?? 

• Like 3
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

Edit: I also put £600 as the target because it wouldn’t let me change it to dollars and I’m not sure what $650 converts to in pounds?? 

About £470

I've stuck a tenner in to kick it off. I'm sure there'll be no problem with the rest.

image.png.d747360c33ea3e6503c177acdb10a719.png

• Like 2

Just now, Born To Walk said:

About £470

I've stuck a tenner in to kick it off. I'm sure there'll be no problem with the rest.

image.png.d747360c33ea3e6503c177acdb10a719.png

Oops! I’ll see if I can change it!! I just saw your contribution, thank you so much! 

• Like 1

9757A335-0CED-4663-9443-55E2661E18FE.thumb.jpeg.7e3cbcc9b44ddb2899b3f420bf1be4c5.jpeg

this is what it looks like for anyone interested so it’s kind of similar to a go fund me just less public 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Update: I’ve changed the goal amount to £475 based on the exchange rate and I’ve also turned off showing names of contributors so you can donate anonymously 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, rachelharms said:

Update: I’ve changed the goal amount to £475 based on the exchange rate and I’ve also turned off showing names of contributors so you can donate anonymously 

Hmmm ... is it working properly? Probably just me doing it wrong.

Just now, Eileen said:

Hmmm ... is it working properly? Probably just me doing it wrong.

https://paypal.me/pools/c/8yg4bbvGF7 If you click on this link does it come up ok? It should show the page with a button to ‘contribute’. I’m not sure if maybe because I’ve edited the amount it’s just having a moment 

• Thanks 1

I filled it in, ticked the anonymous box, but I couldn't scroll down. I'll try again in a little while.

Ah ... I just needed to make the font smaller.

2 minutes ago, Eileen said:

I filled it in, ticked the anonymous box, but I couldn't scroll down. I'll try again in a little while.

Ah ok, I didn’t realise it gives you the option to be anonymous? Maybe I should leave it so people have the option to tick anonymous? Or should I make everyone anonymous? 

If you still have trouble later, I can give you the link to my PayPal and transfer it into the fund myself if you would like. Just let me know 

• Like 2

Glad to pitch in. I doubt if i see the memorial bench by the time I visit in three weeks. 

Rachel, you are a amazing friend not to just Marsha but us all. Have a great weekend. 

You know last night at Church (Holy Thursday) Pastor said to seek out other causes. I don't believe this is what he meant. But I believe Marsha would agree to another bench to sit while taking in Ashbury Park! 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Glad to pitch in. I doubt if i see the memorial bench by the time I visit in three weeks. 

Rachel, you are a amazing friend not to just Marsha but us all. Have a great weekend. 

You know last night at Church (Holy Thursday) Pastor said to seek out other causes. I don't believe this is what he meant. But I believe Marsha would agree to another bench to sit while taking in Ashbury Park! 

Have a wonderful trip.

• Like 2

• CmonMrTrouble changed the title to My American Mom - UPDATE