Greasy Lake Community

7 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Hopefully part of the BITUSA box. Why else do this interview about mixing that album at this point? 

It's part 54 in Mix With The Masters "Inside The Track" series. At a quick glance he's wearing the same clothes as he is in #41 (Squeeze "Patchouli"), suggesting it may have been in the can for a while, but that could be coincidental .

He says "We have a multitrack for a song called Born In The USA that was recorded by Bruce Springsteen in the early '80s"

With an introduction like that, no way has this got anything to do with any project of Bruce's.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

He says "We have a multitrack for a song called Born In The USA that was recorded by Bruce Springsteen in the early '80s"

With an introduction like that, no way has this got anything to do with any project of Bruce's.

Maybe they are trying to market to the Billie Eilish generation

• Like 1

I've been dreaming for years that we could have the possibility to listen to songs one instrument at a time.

And the #1 of such a list of songs for me is... BITUSA, my all-time favorite song by any artist. So, this sounds soooo cool to me.

I doubt that will be on in the boxset. That's it's own production. The river box didn't have anything like that. No one else interviewed, just Bruce. That kind of variety would have been quite an improvement. But I don't expect it.

15 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

I doubt that will be on in the boxset. That's it's own production. The river box didn't have anything like that. No one else interviewed, just Bruce. That kind of variety would have been quite an improvement. But I don't expect it.

It might be well in the boxset because it was done before with the Wings for Wheels documentary where Springsteen and Landau listened to the Born to Run multi-track masters. And for the box set, instead of just the talking heads, I'd like more dynamic involvements like this one:

Well yeah but that was with Springsteen and Landau and done specifically for that project. This seems to be a series featuring different Clearmountain mixes and you have to pay to watch all of it so Bruce Inc. would presumably have to pay to include it in the box and do you think they would do that? I still bet a dollar (yes, a whole dollar!) that it won't be in the box.

• Like 1

Question for those who saw more than just what was posted above.

Is this really interesting anyway, for those who don't have audiophile ears and not that much 'technical knowledge' about all this?

I.e. probably the majority of us diehard fans (would say it is in no way interesting anyway for non-diehard fans).

I've said it before and I'll say it again, when the BITUSA Box is finally compiled, they could do a lot worse than licencing the OGWT documentary off the BBC.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

This seems to be a series featuring different Clearmountain mixes and you have to pay to watch all of it so Bruce Inc. would presumably have to pay to include it in the box

I guess that would be cheaper than making something new. Whilst this is clearly not made for the Box, I suppose there's a slight chance they might see it and decide that it would be worth including.

1 minute ago, Born To Walk said:

Whilst this is clearly not made for the Box, I suppose there's a slight chance they might see it and decide that it would be worth including.

Oh I have no doubt it would be worth including but have they ever included an outside production in a boxset release? Me and my dollar stand firm.

1 minute ago, phantomengineer said:

Oh I have no doubt it would be worth including but have they ever included an outside production in a boxset release?

Hammersmith 1975 was filmed by the BBC. Houston 1978 was from existing video from in-house-system of the venue.

Hyde Park 2009 and 2012 videos were filmed by the BBC.

Live In Barcelona was filmed by MTV (And MTV Plugged too, of course).

3 hours ago, Promise61 said:

So when Bob made this programme he had access to the BITUSA masters. 

It's going farther back down the chain than that.  He had access to the BITUSA multi-tracks.  You can't isolate instruments like he's doing with the Masters.  The question is, does Bob has access to those multi-tracks any time he wants?  ("Hey Bruce, send those over, I want to do a little video for my website").  Or was this done as part of a bigger project?

36 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Question for those who saw more than just what was posted above.

Is this really interesting anyway, for those who don't have audiophile ears and not that much 'technical knowledge' about all this?

I.e. probably the majority of us diehard fans (would say it is in no way interesting anyway for non-diehard fans).

I haven't seen those 40 minute version myself, but the trailer was interesting to me, even as a non-techie.

There's also this, as written on the website:  "exclusive listen to the digitised raw tracks, recounts the process of making the record in 1982, then remixes the parts in modern hybrid fashion". 

"Born in the USA" is a combination of an amazing performance and '80s production.  It would be interesting to hear those original performances remixed with a modern sensibility.  Not that it would ever replace the original, but more as an example of what the same recordings that were captured in 1982 might sound like if mixed today.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Hammersmith 1975 was filmed by the BBC. Houston 1978 was from existing video from in-house-system of the venue.

Live In Barcelona was filmed by MTV (And MTV Plugged too, of course).

Good point. But I have to think Bruce and Landau made some agreement beforehand about their use. There had to be things signed in advance. The Clearmountain thing seems to be an independent production. Of course JLM would have had to sign off on the use of the tracks. All guesswork.

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Sky Arts were the broadcaster of Hard Rock Calling festival in 2009 and 2012, then MTV had the rights in 2013 when it moved to the Olympic Park. All three were re-edited screen feeds as opposed to using footage from separate film crews. That said, wasn’t Zimny involved with the editing of the broadcast cuts of the Springsteen songs? Can’t imagine that the footage would be expensive to use if INC wanted to.