Greasy Lake Community

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

A pretty standard 1988 show, apart from the inclusion of a rare ESB version of 'Across The Borderline'

Don't seems to get the ''upgrade'' we can have with this one except Across the Borderline of course

Christmas came earlier this year.. One gift for people who appreciated the NY Reunion show, one for the ones who love LA 88

A NJ show must come next surely for the year and maybe it will be easy to guess according to the unreleased tours

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I genuinely don't get the complaints about repetition in the Archives. Even when the sets varied 'wildly' say 2013, they always drew from a bank of songs. Springsteen has never been an artist noted fo

I became a fan in 1989, and was only 10 when the ToL tour was happening. I didn't see Bruce live til 1993. To me, the ToL tour sees Bruce Springsteen at an artistic height. He's promoting an exce

Love any TOL release! Can never get enough of those wonderful horns! Such a great tour!

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Niels said:

How is the sound quality overall? Anyone that listened yet? 

It sounds like dynamite through my Sonos speakers (the Nugs app intermittently craps out on my Bang and Olufsen system, so Sonos it is; maybe not the best barometer, but hey ho). It sounds great. I'm thinking the best '88 show yet, and I loved Detroit. 

• Like 1

why is Ain't Got You combined with She's the one?

clearly two different songs.

I can't recall if they did on other discs but I combined them when I added them to itunes.  They were meant to blend into each other.

6 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

By the time I started my Tunnel run, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky,

My first Bruce show!!!! Absolutely great night! 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

How do the Horns sound on Adam? Sucks don't it! :blink:

Horns on Adam is like ketchup on prime rib. You can choke it down but that's not the way it's meant to be.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, fadeaway said:

My first Bruce show!!!! Absolutely great night! 

Absolutely, we were in the second row and it was a hot one.

BTW, the segue of "Ain't Got You" into "She's the One" made its Tour debut at the Lexington show.

• Bruuuuce! 1
6 hours ago, phantomengineer said:

Horns on Adam is like ketchup on prime rib. You can choke it down but that's not the way it's meant to be.

I honestly think the song sounded off in 88, minus the intro by Bruce. The horns just don't do it for me and Nils and what I can only describe as overpowering vocal deliver during the "Yeah" part in 88 just didn't sound good to me whenever I'd listen to an 88 show.

• Like 1

Regarding the ToL tour, here's what was said on the recent None But The Brave podcast:

HAL

"We know there's more from MSG, there's more from LA, we know they have Sheffield because that was the source for the 'Spare Parts' video. After that, we're not exactly sure. I've always believed that if they had East Berlin, it would be out... we know they probably have the second night in Detroit. That's going to vary by one or two songs from the first night release. This is the problem they have from the Tunnel tour... even Sheffield is similar to 7/3, which is already released."

FLYNN

"The shows that I think could be next are 27 April and 22 May, from LA and the Garden respectively, just to get 'Across The Borderline'. They're pretty much identical to shows already released except for that one song.

"I have no idea [if they recorded the entire MSG stand]. It's one of those things that we weren't even sure they had any of them until they released the 5/23 show."

Let's face it, at this stage in the Archive Series, a fifth Tunnel show was always going to provoke a few "I'll skip this one" owing to the nature of the setlists in 1988. Similar comments came out last month for the NYC 2000 show, we heard them last September when the third East Rutherford 1984 show was released and we'll probably hear them again when the next Darkness show (which will be the ninth from 1978) comes out. 

INC are far from perfect, but I'm yet to come anywhere close to the "series is done" feeling given that for years (particularly after the BTR box in 2005 gave us Hammersmith) I was annoyed that they were slow in opening the vault. Hopefully the two-track/SBD tapes start getting explored soon - if the series is going to continue for another, say, five years, then they'll have to - but ultimately they're not going to offer radically different setlists every month. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

If that isn't enough for you, then following the Archives probably isn't for you. Now, you could argue that NUGS could make these tracks available individually, and there is some validity to that argument, but it isn't an approach NUGs are taking so; it is what it is

Thanks for you wonderful post. For those unhappy grumpy people:

3 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

I genuinely don't get the complaints about repetition in the Archives. Even when the sets varied 'wildly' say 2013, they always drew from a bank of songs. Springsteen has never been an artist noted for setlist unpredictability and that's definitely true of any tours before the Reunion. If fans want the Archive series to continue, they are going to have to accept that repetition will be integral to continuity.

For me, it's all about the small details. For example you could say well MSG'88 isn' t different on paper to Detroit '88 but if you don't pick up MSG '88 you aren't going to get the brilliant interpolation of Born to Be Wild in Light of Day, or the heartbreaking horn outro to One Step Up..If you pass up Detroit in favour of MSG '88 you're going to miss Walk Like A Man and an '88 Detroit Medley (which is great btw). Then you have the Euro leg with Stockholm and a totally different vibe, and more small additions like the intro to You Can Look...One of the things I like about the Reunion gigs is seeing what song Bruce will put into Light of Day, or how he's going to phrase the 'Take me to the river' section of Tenth Avenue. I also like playing the gigs in order, so LA '88 will also make me go back and revisit, Detroit, MSG, Stockholm. That's kind of what I get out of following the series, or enjoy about it. 

If that isn't enough for you, then following the Archives probably isn't for you. Now, you could argue that NUGS could make these tracks available individually, and there is some validity to that argument, but it isn't an approach NUGs are taking so; it is what it is

I totally agree with this post. Knowing how TOL Tour setlists were I don't understand what some people want or expect. No more archive releases from this Tour or others? Only shows since 2005 onwards? The cancellation of the entire archive releases because it is boring and repetitive? They are roughly releasing one show per year of the main tours and especially the setlists of the shows of the 70s and the 80s will be repetitive. For instance, Uniondale, December, 28 features only one song not performed on 29 or 31 (Backstreets). Do you want they release this show or is it too repetitive to do it?

• Like 2
20 hours ago, audelish70 said:

IMHO every Springsteen show is unique, even when setlists are identical. I think that April, 28 is a better show than April, 23, at least after hearing the bootlegs.

Agree.

Attended all 5 LA shows and remember 4/28 as being the most enjoyable. Too bad no sound check bonus. Including Loose Ends from the stand would have been great. Who knows if it was recorded.

• Like 1

If I was going to be picky I'd say maybe we could have had another Euro '88 show before LA, but as the first LA show was not the best sound quality wise, if I want to hear something from that stand, we now have this release. There will be certain tours that I skip when they roll around, but I don't see them as denigrating the series. I just play some of the many released shows for another a month and wait for the next one.

12 minutes ago, bobfan1976 said:

If I was going to be picky I'd say maybe we could have had another Euro '88 show before LA

Had that happened, I'd have been first in line to moan that the European leg has too many BITUSA songs and the unwanted return of some old warhorses (hello, Badlands...) ;)

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

I genuinely don't get the complaints about repetition in the Archives. Even when the sets varied 'wildly' say 2013, they always drew from a bank of songs. Springsteen has never been an artist noted for setlist unpredictability and that's definitely true of any tours before the Reunion. If fans want the Archive series to continue, they are going to have to accept that repetition will be integral to continuity.

For me, it's all about the small details. For example you could say well MSG'88 isn' t different on paper to Detroit '88 but if you don't pick up MSG '88 you aren't going to get the brilliant interpolation of Born to Be Wild in Light of Day, or the heartbreaking horn outro to One Step Up..If you pass up Detroit in favour of MSG '88 you're going to miss Walk Like A Man and an '88 Detroit Medley (which is great btw). Then you have the Euro leg with Stockholm and a totally different vibe, and more small additions like the intro to You Can Look...One of the things I like about the Reunion gigs is seeing what song Bruce will put into Light of Day, or how he's going to phrase the 'Take me to the river' section of Tenth Avenue. I also like playing the gigs in order, so LA '88 will also make me go back and revisit, Detroit, MSG, Stockholm. That's kind of what I get out of following the series, or enjoy about it. 

I completely agree that it’s about the small details that make every show unique. Do you think it will get to a point where there’s not enough people buying the shows for them to continue ? We’d really have something to complain about then.