Greasy Lake Community

5 hours ago, badlands78 said:

I agree, and you remind me that the opposite is the case on a widely circulated bootleg of 11/19/1984 Kansas City, on which the “Detroit Medley” is atrociously split by the author into separate tracks for each part of the medley.

My origonal mp3 version of crystal cat Detroit medley is like that

Frustrating as hell

• Like 1
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I genuinely don't get the complaints about repetition in the Archives. Even when the sets varied 'wildly' say 2013, they always drew from a bank of songs. Springsteen has never been an artist noted fo

I became a fan in 1989, and was only 10 when the ToL tour was happening. I didn't see Bruce live til 1993. To me, the ToL tour sees Bruce Springsteen at an artistic height. He's promoting an exce

Love any TOL release! Can never get enough of those wonderful horns! Such a great tour!

Posted Images

1 hour ago, BruceHistory said:

Anyone else feel they can see "Protection” before “Cover Me”, possibly moving "Roulette” down a notch while loosing "Seeds” or “Give The Girl A Kiss" instead of "I’m A Coward” out there?

So:

Tunnel, Be True, Adam, Two Faces (When Your Alone), Heaven, Darkness, Roulette, Protection, Cover Me, etc, etc

Tougher (Paradise By C), Ain’t/She’s The One, You Can Look, Give The Girl A Kiss, etc ....

Brad

Only saw 6 American Tunnel shows but can tell you Seeds into Roulette crushed. Agree with . . . Kiss replacing Coward but because Protection and Cover are too similar to my ears I would have one or the other. 

• Like 1
On 4/2/2021 at 11:17 AM, Promise61 said:

[...] I think he may be wrong about the Spare Parts 'sonata' intro when he says it's not available on record. I'm sure I have an official version someplace. From Sheffield, possibly?

There was a UK/Euro 12" EP in '88 with the Sheffield (9 July 1988) version. There was a Euro 4-track CD as well from 1988. 

BRUCE_SPRINGSTEEN_SPARE+PARTS-25899.jpg

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Rumble said:
20 hours ago, audelish70 said:

I totally agree with this post. Knowing how TOL Tour setlists were I don't understand what some people want or expect. No more archive releases from this Tour or others? Only shows since 2005 onwards? The cancellation of the entire archive releases because it is boring and repetitive? They are roughly releasing one show per year of the main tours and especially the setlists of the shows of the 70s and the 80s will be repetitive. For instance, Uniondale, December, 28 features only one song not performed on 29 or 31 (Backstreets). Do you want they release this show or is it too repetitive to do it?  To add to your argument, the way the majority of the first set from 12/28, including the two tour debuts, is constructed differs significantly from the set construction of the next two shows and creates a different energy and show.  For instance, debuting Merry Christmas as an opener into Badlands creates a different energy/show than playing Xmas in the second set.  I was at 12/31 and 4/28/88 and the former blows away the later. In the opinion of many, 74-81 is the apex live performance era, so we “ want” the archive series to release more shows from that era, notwithstanding that Bruce is obviously shaping his legacy by the shows released so far, which is his call.    

I don’t think it’s Bruce shaping his legacy, 74-81 represents 7 years of his career. Even if they recorded everything from that period it would still be dwarfed by forty years that followed. They are simply spacing out the recordings they have for those years. As for the ‘apex’ that’s open to definition. Personally, ‘88 is an apex for me.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Nick21 said:

Had that happened, I'd have been first in line to moan that the European leg has too many BITUSA songs and the unwanted return of some old warhorses (hello, Badlands...) ;)

Not so much, or less, on -roughly- the first half of the Euro leg. The first shows even still had One Step Up and Two Faces.

Badlands and Thunder Road were not played until the very end of the leg.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:19 PM, Born To Walk said:

From memory it was included on the video but not the actual single.

1 hour ago, Trang said:

There was a UK/Euro 12" EP in '88 with the Sheffield (9 July 1988) version. There was a Euro 4-track CD as well from 1988. 

Just checked. Both my vinyl 7" and 12" copies of Spare Parts don't have the instrumental opening, they just right kick into the song ('Bobby said he'd pull out...'). Which does not rule out other released audio versions were it was included, but probably not. But it is for sure on the Spare Parts video (So Born To Walk was right:)).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 4/3/2021 at 1:01 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Every now and then after posting these reviews something I didn't notice first and second time around will stand out and leave me wishing I heard it and included it in the review. During today's listen of "Born to Run" something did indeed stand out and in a first, I rushed to add my thoughts to this write-up. You can read the added excerpt in bold below. 

Enjoy!

Bridging us from the main set into the encores is "Born to Run" in its 1988 acoustic format, the performance that exemplifies how this isn't your usual Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band world tour. It's important to note that the introductory monologue for the song is attached to the end of "Light of Day", and it's a typically lovely speech from Bruce, talking about the romantic idea of two people running and never coming back and saying how he felt "I've put all these people in the cars, now I need to give them some place to go." It leads into a performance that is a little more relaxed than April 23rd - I wonder if that has something to do with Roy Orbison not watching from the crowd? - but not one without purpose, we just need to hear him sing "everybody's out on the run tonight" (3:06) to realise that. Springsteen also talks about connection in his intro, something he's always been searching for and possibly the reason he's in Los Angeles tonight, so I love the genuine connection of artist and audience from 4:06 with the "woah-oh-ohs". What's most interesting to me here, though, is the way Bruce substitutes "the" for "this" when singing "together we could live with this sadness, I'll love you with all the madness". In a show notable for highlighting the masks we wear and stripping away the façades that shield us, to me this particular moment feels like Springsteen is proposing an offer; an offer to simply get on with their relationship, as broken as it is, and he'll try his best to maintain that brilliant, loving disguise, with the hope that someday that love will be genuine and they'll "get to that place." As always, this "Born to Run" delivers, adding another layer to this fascinating tour. 

• Love Love Love! 1
  • Thanks 3
10 hours ago, Lampi said:

Just checked. Both my vinyl 7" and 12" copies of Spare Parts don't have the instrumental opening, they just right kick into the song ('Bobby said he'd pull out...'). Which does not rule out other released audio versions were it was included, but probably not. But it is for sure on the Spare Parts video (So Born To Walk was right:)).

Yes, I was mistaken. Both the 12" and CD versions I referenced are just over 5 minutes in length and the EP is definitely without the intro. (I thought I have been  listening to the copy from the 12" for 30 years but I must have taken it from the video.)

• Like 1

The ToL tour, especially the US shows, were outstanding IMO. By Europe the setlists loosens up a little which was nice, but the original theme of the tour is partially lost. But with those setlisst becoming mroe flexible, its a shame IMO that Nugs has focused ongiving us multiple nights from the US leg. East Berling might be the most historic show Bruce ever performed and there were certainly other nights in Europe that have some notabel setlist variety from the one show we've gotten so far from Sweden.

Adding that soundchecked Reason to Believe to the one US show was a masterstroke and I would hope that any future US shows include more of the unique setlisted only material.

I'll be getting this newest LA show, but may wait for a Nugs sale to pick it up.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Magnus said:

But with those setlisst becoming mroe flexible, its a shame IMO that Nugs has focused ongiving us multiple nights from the US leg. East Berling might be the most historic show Bruce ever performed and there were certainly other nights in Europe that have some notabel setlist variety from the one show we've gotten so far from Sweden.

Adding that soundchecked Reason to Believe to the one US show was a masterstroke and I would hope that any future US shows include more of the unique setlisted only material.

The chances of them having East Berlin on multitrack are next to none, sadly. 

Same applies to the soundchecks - there are probably more “I’d love to hear that” moments in 1988 than on any other tour. But given that (a) they barely recorded any shows in 1988 and (b) even the NYC 23 May 1988 (from which “For Your Love” was released) is partial according to Brucebase info. 

Admittedly we’ll likely have to wait a year but if the next ToL release isn’t from Sheffield I’ll be both surprised and slightly worried. 

4 hours ago, Nick21 said:

The chances of them having East Berlin on multitrack are next to none, sadly. 

Same applies to the soundchecks - there are probably more “I’d love to hear that” moments in 1988 than on any other tour. But given that (a) they barely recorded any shows in 1988 and (b) even the NYC 23 May 1988 (from which “For Your Love” was released) is partial according to Brucebase info. 

Admittedly we’ll likely have to wait a year but if the next ToL release isn’t from Sheffield I’ll be both surprised and slightly worried. 

I don't care so much about multitrack TBH. Same goes for the '72-'77 material. And they should find the best sounding Steel Mill show they can dig up, and release that too.

Im tired and i havn't had the energy to clear space on my phone yet :(

Tonight hopefully

3 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Im tired and i havn't had the energy to clear space on my phone yet :(Tonight hopefully

Why not just delete all 'orange swimming suit pictures' on your phone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There were too many things about these shows that just didn't do it for me. I'm a Coward was a particular low point (for me). Hearing Big Man mumble and grunt "Uh-huh, yeah yeah, uh-huh, that's right, etc." during Bruce's opening sermon makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. If that doesn't, hearing Patti squawk, "Do you love me baby? Do you love me baby? Do you love me baby?" Ugh!! And then there are the horn players as back up singers which, well... it's a channel changer for me. Ditto for dance party back up singing on You Can Look when they were doing a conga line on stage. Not my thing. But glad you all like it. For me, least favorite tour ever.

However, I would so love a proper release of the East Berlin show. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jacksondog said:

least favorite tour ever

On one hand I personally disagree, but on the other I acknowledge that it's not nearly as controversial as my least favorite tour being '78. I guess I have a preference for the horns (on certain songs), which is why both TOL and Wrecking Ball are in my top 3 fave tours (alongside the '80-81 tour, which IMO was the ESB's peak).

I'm curious what your thoughts are regarding the WB tour... do you think the horn section and singers worked then?

On 4/4/2021 at 1:51 AM, bobfan1976 said:

I don’t think it’s Bruce shaping his legacy, 74-81 represents 7 years of his career. Even if they recorded everything from that period it would still be dwarfed by forty years that followed. They are simply spacing out the recordings they have for those years. As for the ‘apex’ that’s open to definition. Personally, ‘88 is an apex for me.

If you don’t think Springsteen is using the archive series as one component  in shaping his legacy than I don’t think you’ve been paying attention for the last 45 years or so.   It should go without saying, simply as a matter of pure mathematics, not to mention the preservation of the concert recordings known to exist to date, the number, not quality, of post-1981 recordings “dwarf” the 8 (not 7) years from 74-81, what I call the apex era.  Of course the archive series is going to release shows from all the different tours in order to space the shows out, which also helps Springsteen create his multi-generational legacy, which is what he wants. That’s obvious.  Or should be. I, and many other older fans, want the apex era shows. As a matter of disclosure, regarding the archive series, I was at birthday Nukes, NYE 80 (and other non-archive River shows) LA 85 (and other non-archive USA shows) both LA Tunnel shows (and 4 other non-archive shows from the tour), both Christic shows, and numerous other shows.   The energy and the tightness of the band revealed in the apex era (others say 74-75, 77-81, or 75-81), blows away the Tunnel tour, even though there are several highlights from those shows. I’m happy to have two archive Tunnel shows I was at. I salute Springsteen for following up the massive commercial success of USA with Tunnel. What an artist, and performer.  But this was a tour Springsteen originally wanted to do solo. That says something.  So too does the fact he only used the E Streeters sparingly on the Tunnel album.  Moreover, this is a tour that only lasted 3 months in the states and less than 2 months overseas, where he played only in Europe.  That doesn’t sound much like the apex tour of his career.   "I think we got into a rut in our relationships," Springsteen told Peter Ames Carlin in referring to why he fired the band, at least temporarily, a little more than a year after the Tunnel tour ended.  The concert tickets and promo items advertised not Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band but now BS and “featuring the E Street Band.”  That “rut” revealed itself on stage during the Tunnel tour.  There was a distance and awkwardness between him and the band.  His marriage, by all accounts, was in turmoil.  When I saw a show two weeks before the end of the River tour, he and the band were so happy and tight. The looks they gave each other during the show and the energy.  The energy. Clarance on his knees and touching the top of his head on the stage behind him blowing his lungs out during Quarter to Three.  Apex.   I don’t know if you were at any of the Tunnel shows. When I walked out of the shows I saw with friends we agreed although we enjoyed ourselves, the energy and band tightness, in every aspect, wasn’t anything like it was when walking out of an apex era show.   Lastly, I don’t think apex is “open to definition.” As I used it, apex is defined by “the highest point or most successful part of something.” There’s only one apex era.  To be sure, as you seem to suggest, the apex of Springsteen’s concert career can be open to interpretation or a matter of personal preference.  There’s also reality though. There’s little objective evidence the Tunnel Tour is the apex tour but we understand when you say “Personally, ‘88 is an apex for me” you’re expressing a personal opinion.  And that is primarily what this community board is about, sharing opinions, which can be enhanced with evidence.   I think Springsteen’s apex era has to include Steve Van Zandt on stage and Springsteen yelling out “I’m a prisoner of rock and roll” not “I’m a prisoner of love.”  That’s my opinion.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, jacksondog said:

There were too many things about these shows that just didn't do it for me. I'm a Coward was a particular low point (for me). Hearing Big Man mumble and grunt "Uh-huh, yeah yeah, uh-huh, that's right, etc." during Bruce's opening sermon makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. If that doesn't, hearing Patti squawk, "Do you love me baby? Do you love me baby? Do you love me baby?" Ugh!! And then there are the horn players as back up singers which, well... it's a channel changer for me. Ditto for dance party back up singing on You Can Look when they were doing a conga line on stage. Not my thing. But glad you all like it. For me, least favorite tour ever.

Of course i do sweetheart....Sorry....i couldn't help myself :lol:.

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, jacksondog said:

I have to agree, My least favorite Tour (Not counting the other hand debacle) even though I saw a bunch of the shows live I rarely listen to anything from the TOL tour for the reasons you noted. For me it was way too polished, repetitive and rehearsed plus Adam with horns is the pothole of Bruce's career, terrible arrangement of a great song. That being said, I do enjoy certain elements of the shows like Acoustic BTR, Sweet Soul Music covers, Ain't got you into She's the One etc. 

I became a fan in 1989, and was only 10 when the ToL tour was happening. I didn't see Bruce live til 1993.

To me, the ToL tour sees Bruce Springsteen at an artistic height. He's promoting an excellent and challenging new album in a brave new show that reimagines or redelivers older material. This wasn't a tour he did for the fans, and it wasn't a tour he did because he really wanted to get onstage with the ESB. He was trying to do new things with the same old band, and I'm not sure the ESB was put to its best use. OTOH if he had toured with ToL with horns and another non ESB band, I don't think the band or the fans would have preferred that exactly either.

Granted, there are a few low points - Adam isn't helped by the horns and Backstreets somehow ends up sounding like a Christmas song. The setlist could certainly have used more shakeup, including material like Candy's Room, I'm Going Down, and more things from The River (imagine either version of Stolen car). The overall sense I get is of something weird, new, shifting, and uncomfortable that maybe wasn't suited for a 12 month tour. But while it worked out, was really fucking good.

The new ToL songs are excellent and they sound even better live. Be True has never sounded better. Seeds, Because the Night, Raise Your Hand, War, and Paradise by the C are all fresh off of Live 75-85, and they all cook. The retro version of You Can Look is a lot of fun. She's the One is finally back in the set and it's a natural development from the versions from the '70s. I love I'm a Coward.  Patti is sexy, Bruce is sexy, and at some point they clearly start sharing more than the microphone. This makes for complicated dynamics in Bruce's life and with the band but the overall show gets all the better for their chemistry. Acoustic BTR is brave and outstanding.  Have Love, Will Travel is so much fun and I wish he'd do it again. The encores are tight and powerful, Bruce's voice is strong. We get Roulette! We get Chimes of Freedom!

1988 was not the easiest of times for Bruce or the band or the fans. But damn, those shows were excellent.

• Like 8
On 4/4/2021 at 10:16 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Every now and then after posting these reviews something I didn't notice first and second time around will stand out and leave me wishing I heard it and included it in the review. During today's listen of "Born to Run" something did indeed stand out and in a first, I rushed to add my thoughts to this write-up. You can read the added excerpt in bold below. 

Enjoy!

Always love your passionate reviews. Thanks for taking us through the shows with all your details. I saw all 5 LA shows and if my memory serves me correct I recall 4/28 as being the best. Although the 4/27 debut of Borderline blew my mind that night. 

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I became a fan in 1989, and was only 10 when the ToL tour was happening. I didn't see Bruce live til 1993.

To me, the ToL tour sees Bruce Springsteen at an artistic height. He's promoting an excellent and challenging new album in a brave new show that reimagines or redelivers older material. This wasn't a tour he did for the fans, and it wasn't a tour he did because he really wanted to get onstage with the ESB. He was trying to do new things with the same old band, and I'm not sure the ESB was put to its best use. OTOH if he had toured with ToL with horns and another non ESB band, I don't think the band or the fans would have preferred that exactly either.

Granted, there are a few low points - Adam isn't helped by the horns and Backstreets somehow ends up sounding like a Christmas song. The setlist could certainly have used more shakeup, including material like Candy's Room, I'm Going Down, and more things from The River (imagine either version of Stolen car). The overall sense I get is of something weird, new, shifting, and uncomfortable that maybe wasn't suited for a 12 month tour. But while it worked out, was really fucking good.

The new ToL songs are excellent and they sound even better live. Be True has never sounded better. Seeds, Because the Night, Raise Your Hand, War, and Paradise by the C are all fresh off of Live 75-85, and they all cook. The retro version of You Can Look is a lot of fun. She's the One is finally back in the set and it's a natural development from the versions from the '70s. I love I'm a Coward.  Patti is sexy, Bruce is sexy, and at some point they clearly start sharing more than the microphone. This makes for complicated dynamics in Bruce's life and with the band but the overall show gets all the better for their chemistry. Acoustic BTR is brave and outstanding.  Have Love, Will Travel is so much fun and I wish he'd do it again. The encores are tight and powerful, Bruce's voice is strong. We get Roulette! We get Chimes of Freedom!

1988 was not the easiest of times for Bruce or the band or the fans. But damn, those shows were excellent.

This is an extraordinary post. Thanks for sharing with us.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Magnus said:

This is excellent, Magnus, and I completely agree. Artistically, that first set is as good as any lengthy run of songs that Bruce has ever put together. Sure, that killer 1978 four-pack (PROMISED LAND / PROVE IT / RACING / THUNDER) is stronger material, and the 2007/2008 set-closing run (DEVIL'S ARCADE / THE RISING / LAST TO DIE / LONG WALK HOME / BADLANDS) is underrated, but the story he told in the first 13 songs in the first part of the 1988 tour still resonates strongly. Look how much Bruce has returned to those themes recently - most notably Broadway and the Obama pod.

One thing that gets overlooked amid the horns discussion: the core E Street Band played brilliantly on this tour. Whatever problems and tensions they had with Bruce did not come across in their performances. I’d say it’s the last tour with Clarence playing consistently well night after night. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Nick21 said:

This is excellent, Magnus, and I completely agree. Artistically, that first set is as good as any lengthy run of songs that Bruce has ever put together. Sure, that killer 1978 four-pack (PROMISED LAND / PROVE IT / RACING / THUNDER) is stronger material, and the 2007/2008 set-closing run (DEVIL'S ARCADE / THE RISING / LAST TO DIE / LONG WALK HOME / BADLANDS) is underrated, but the story he told in the first 13 songs in the first part of the 1988 tour still resonates strongly. Look how much Bruce has returned to those themes recently - most notably Broadway and the Obama pod.

One thing that gets overlooked amid the horns discussion: the core E Street Band played brilliantly on this tour. Whatever problems and tensions they had with Bruce did not come across in their performances. I’d say it’s the last tour with Clarence playing consistently well night after night. 

I'm confused why you wouldn't include Jungleland in your  mention of an incredible 1978 set of songs.

3 hours ago, BenT said:

I'm confused why you wouldn't include Jungleland in your  mention of an incredible 1978 set of songs.

Personally I see that as a separate entity from the narrative pack - particularly after “Meeting” was introduced at the NYC shows in September 1978. 

• Like 1