Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

April Archive - LA 28/04/1988


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Rumble said:

Always love your passionate reviews. Thanks for taking us through the shows with all your details. I saw all 5 LA shows and if my memory serves me correct I recall 4/28 as being the best. Although the 4/27 debut of Borderline blew my mind that night. 

Thanks mate, always nice to read posts like this. Hopefully we get 27/4 someday!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/8/2021 at 6:26 PM, Magnus said:

I became a fan in 1989, and was only 10 when the ToL tour was happening. I didn't see Bruce live til 1993.

To me, the ToL tour sees Bruce Springsteen at an artistic height. He's promoting an excellent and challenging new album in a brave new show that reimagines or redelivers older material. This wasn't a tour he did for the fans, and it wasn't a tour he did because he really wanted to get onstage with the ESB. He was trying to do new things with the same old band, and I'm not sure the ESB was put to its best use. OTOH if he had toured with ToL with horns and another non ESB band, I don't think the band or the fans would have preferred that exactly either.

Granted, there are a few low points - Adam isn't helped by the horns and Backstreets somehow ends up sounding like a Christmas song. The setlist could certainly have used more shakeup, including material like Candy's Room, I'm Going Down, and more things from The River (imagine either version of Stolen car). The overall sense I get is of something weird, new, shifting, and uncomfortable that maybe wasn't suited for a 12 month tour. But while it worked out, was really fucking good.

The new ToL songs are excellent and they sound even better live. Be True has never sounded better. Seeds, Because the Night, Raise Your Hand, War, and Paradise by the C are all fresh off of Live 75-85, and they all cook. The retro version of You Can Look is a lot of fun. She's the One is finally back in the set and it's a natural development from the versions from the '70s. I love I'm a Coward.  Patti is sexy, Bruce is sexy, and at some point they clearly start sharing more than the microphone. This makes for complicated dynamics in Bruce's life and with the band but the overall show gets all the better for their chemistry. Acoustic BTR is brave and outstanding.  Have Love, Will Travel is so much fun and I wish he'd do it again. The encores are tight and powerful, Bruce's voice is strong. We get Roulette! We get Chimes of Freedom!

1988 was not the easiest of times for Bruce or the band or the fans. But damn, those shows were excellent.

Agree with most of this, but Adam with the horns was no low point. The spindly sound of Roy's piano was, though, but I actually don't feel the sets needed any more variation. Yes, I can easily see that attending multiple shows that were almost entirely identical would be disappointing, but somehow I - to some extent and particularly on this tour - actually prefer hearing songs that have been played regularly to audibles. I really got this when Bruce played Boom Boom in Bergen in 2009. Fun, yes, but compared to the ultra-tight version from Europe 1988...vast difference. The ESB were at their peak as musicians in 1988 and really have never been better since. Songs like the two you mentioned...I don't think they would have fit at all, not in the ToL Express context. But, I could be wrong, maybe I'd have felt the same with Backstreets, if it hadn't been played? Then again, there's a difference between I'm Goin' Down and Backstreets, and I'm not talking about one song having sax and the other not...

It was probably the most uncomfortable tour in many ways, maybe especially outdoors in Europe, audiences still in a BITUSA-light frenzy.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Hopefully we get 27/4 someday!

That will be on the Tunnel Tour DVD....:)

(Yes, Carthago must be destroyed indeed)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/7/2021 at 7:26 PM, sleepyjoe said:

I'm curious what your thoughts are regarding the WB tour... do you think the horn section and singers worked then?

You didn't ask me but I'll answer anyway. No, I don't.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

The spindly sound of Roy's piano was, though,

The Tunnel tour marked the end of the natural acoustic string amplified piano and a switch to a MIDI piano which would haunt the E-Street piano sound for years (check NY live 2000) and that unnatural badly emulated digital piano sound was only corrected very recently with some fancy programming (RECEPTOR)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, el sergio said:

The Tunnel tour marked the end of the natural acoustic string amplified piano and a switch to a MIDI piano which would haunt the E-Street piano sound for years (check NY live 2000) and that unnatural badly emulated digital piano sound was only corrected very recently with some fancy programming (RECEPTOR)

On the other hand, the out-of-tuneness of the piano on the December 1980 Nassau shows is more cringeworthy to my ears than any synthetic sounds in the years that followed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/10/2021 at 3:41 PM, el sergio said:

The Tunnel tour marked the end of the natural acoustic string amplified piano and a switch to a MIDI piano which would haunt the E-Street piano sound for years (check NY live 2000) and that unnatural badly emulated digital piano sound was only corrected very recently with some fancy programming (RECEPTOR)

Now that's train spotting E Streetistry. Nice one.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/9/2021 at 3:56 PM, Dr. Zoom said:

Agree with most of this, but Adam with the horns was no low point. The spindly sound of Roy's piano was, though, but I actually don't feel the sets needed any more variation. Yes, I can easily see that attending multiple shows that were almost entirely identical would be disappointing, but somehow I - to some extent and particularly on this tour - actually prefer hearing songs that have been played regularly to audibles. I really got this when Bruce played Boom Boom in Bergen in 2009. Fun, yes, but compared to the ultra-tight version from Europe 1988...vast difference. The ESB were at their peak as musicians in 1988 and really have never been better since. Songs like the two you mentioned...I don't think they would have fit at all, not in the ToL Express context. But, I could be wrong, maybe I'd have felt the same with Backstreets, if it hadn't been played? Then again, there's a difference between I'm Goin' Down and Backstreets, and I'm not talking about one song having sax and the other not...

It was probably the most uncomfortable tour in many ways, maybe especially outdoors in Europe, audiences still in a BITUSA-light frenzy.

I think my point was that Bruce could have varied the setlist more (and earlier on) without losing the thematic concept of the show. Lots of the US shows were multiple night stands, and while tickets were very tough in many areas, lots of fans did get to multiple shows. Imagine if he had several song slots in the show where he'd do either (thematically similar) song A or song B, and then flip them the next night?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Magnus said:

I think my point was that Bruce could have varied the setlist more (and earlier on) without losing the thematic concept of the show. Lots of the US shows were multiple night stands, and while tickets were very tough in many areas, lots of fans did get to multiple shows. Imagine if he had several song slots in the show where he'd do either (thematically similar) song A or song B, and then flip them the next night?

Yes, he could, absolutely. And he did, with WLAM and Backstreets, and dropping Darkness in a few times. I do think that Bruce in some way wanted really bad to steer clear of his most known songs, and to some extent older songs (Roulette would have to be considered new at the time). The whole ting was a real shake-up. Other than Tunnel, there was no "hit" song until aboit halfway into the 1st set, and I would bet that for a rather large part of the audience, Adam was known more from Live than Darkness.

There were a few songs he really couldn't exclude at that point (BITUSA, Dancing, Hungry Heart), and dropping Thunder Road altogether I think was viewed as quite daring/sacreligious. There were a few touchstones, but really not that many. 

I think what we gained from the setlists being so static, was a generally better performance of the songs. Maybe not what one would focus on seeing two identical back-to-back shows, and the performances themselves were quite heavily rehearsed, I'd say more so than on any other tour.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dr. Zoom said:

Adam was known more from Live than Darkness.

There were a few songs he really couldn't exclude at that point (BITUSA, Dancing, Hungry Heart)

Don't quite get it as Adam and Darkness are both on Live 1975-85, you mean because Adam is the 2nd song and Darkness somewhere in the middle?

BUSA was an essential part of the show (Spare Parts-War-BUSA), not just there only to be played because it had to be played.

And DITD was not played at a few shows at the end of the U.S.A. leg. And also not played at most Amnesty Tour shows (maybe because the dancing with a member of the audience took too much time in the shortened setlists of that tour).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

Don't quite get it as Adam and Darkness are both on Live 1975-85, you mean because Adam is the 2nd song and Darkness somewhere in the middle?

BUSA was an essential part of the show (Spare Parts-War-BUSA), not just there only to be played because it had to be played.

And DITD was not played at a few shows at the end of the U.S.A. leg. And also not played at most Amnesty Tour shows (maybe because the dancing with a member of the audience took too much time in the shortened setlists of that tour).

 

Sorry, wasn't clear enough. I meant Darkness, the album. The song was most likely more known. BITUSA was incorporated well and was essential to the set, and even though he didn't HAVE to play it because it was possibly his most well-known song, I think it was one of those songs that almost HAD to be in the set, too, at that point. If it hadn't been included, I think it wouldn't have been as good a first set; it was an awesome closing song until Chimes was introduced.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like the construction of the TOL sets, but if I was going to change anything I’d look at dropping I’m A Coward. Although the song has grown on me, along with Part Man..., I do think the second set loses a little momentum with these songs. The long preamble to I’m A Coward could have been substituted for a couple more songs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

I like the construction of the TOL sets, but if I was going to change anything I’d look at dropping I’m A Coward. Although the song has grown on me, along with Part Man..., I do think the second set loses a little momentum with these songs. The long preamble to I’m A Coward could have been substituted for a couple more songs.

I think “I’m a Coward” was maybe the first of the tradition of the long mid-setlist song with the extended spoken portions and the shenanigans etc.  Maybe a precursor to “Roll of the Dice”, “Tenth Avenue Freeze Out” (reunion tour version), and “Mary’s Place” as far as its function in the set overall?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

I think “I’m a Coward” was maybe the first of the tradition of the long mid-setlist song with the extended spoken portions and the shenanigans etc.  Maybe a precursor to “Roll of the Dice”, “Tenth Avenue Freeze Out” (reunion tour version), and “Mary’s Place” as far as its function in the set overall?

Never thought of it that way. Interesting point ....

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/14/2021 at 10:39 AM, Dr. Zoom said:

Sorry, wasn't clear enough. I meant Darkness, the album. The song was most likely more known. BITUSA was incorporated well and was essential to the set, and even though he didn't HAVE to play it because it was possibly his most well-known song, I think it was one of those songs that almost HAD to be in the set, too, at that point. If it hadn't been included, I think it wouldn't have been as good a first set; it was an awesome closing song until Chimes was introduced.

Hay its nice to see you again Zoom

I've missed you

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

maybe the first of the tradition of the long mid-setlist song with the extended spoken portions and the shenanigans etc.

I'd add Pink Cadillac to that list too... I always fast forward the 4 minute intro when listening to a BITUSA show

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

I'd add Pink Cadillac to that list too... I always fast forward the 4 minute intro when listening to a BITUSA show

I did consider that one too, although I never feel the same show-stopping energy from that song (compared to “I’m A Coward” and the others on the above list) on the BITUSA shows

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Early North Jersey said:

I'm a huge Pink Cadillac Fan .....But most of the Monologues dont hold up to repeated listens

I know its one of your favourites:lol:

I always think of you when i hear it

Its rollicking good fun 

A lot of the monologues are still new to me and i never get tired of the LINYC 10th av so im sweet

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

I'd add Pink Cadillac to that list too... I always fast forward the 4 minute intro when listening to a BITUSA show

That's a good point, but I'd rather swap it for the BUSA Tour versions of Growin' Up, which really are not nice to listen to. Also because the Bear Story is more visual than the 70s Growin' Up stories (the video from L.A. 1985 from the Glory Days doc showed the visual part that does not really come across on audio).

Like what was said after the Archive release of one of the BUSA shows: 'You first get Pink Cadillac, then Growin' Up, that is 30 minutes of Springsteen talking!'

The Garden of Eden story is funny enough in itself, but maybe not so much anymore after repeated listens.

Finally, it would like to add Working On A Dream to the list of songs already mentioned, even if it was not mid-set but early in the set. Bruce Springsteen preachin' at this worst. (Others maybe would like to add Livin' In The Future).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, badlands78 said:

a precursor to “Roll of the Dice”, “Tenth Avenue Freeze Out” (reunion tour version), and “Mary’s Place” as far as its function in the set overall?

In addition to previous post: Roll of the Dice was not mid-show. Well it was, but as closer of the first set, making it somewhat different, I think, than the other songs mentioned.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

I like the construction of the TOL sets, but if I was going to change anything I’d look at dropping I’m A Coward. Although the song has grown on me, along with Part Man..., I do think the second set loses a little momentum with these songs. The long preamble to I’m A Coward could have been substituted for a couple more songs.

It´s funny. The first show I ever saw with Bruce was the july 2nd 1988 show in Stockholm(day before the famous radio broadcast) and for some reason one of the songs I remember the most is I´m a coward. The horns were smoking, the lightning was just fantastic and it was a blast all around.

I guess what I´m saying is although it may drag a bit on tape it worked brilliant live.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, badlands78 said:

I did consider that one too, although I never feel the same show-stopping energy from that song (compared to “I’m A Coward” and the others on the above list) on the BITUSA shows

Fair point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...