Jump to content
Greasy Lake Community

April Archive - LA 28/04/1988


Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, DennisC said:

I guess what I´m saying is although it may drag a bit on tape it worked brilliant live.

I imagine that “Glory Days” is in a similar boat.  It is always hard for me to get through that song no matter what tour I’m listening to.  (I still haven’t gotten it live.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

I imagine that “Glory Days” is in a similar boat.  It is always hard for me to get through that song no matter what tour I’m listening to.  (I still haven’t gotten it live.)

And on the BUSA Tour, Glory Days also had some stories that can get annoying (at least to me) after repeated listens.

Of course all those stories in all those songs were for those who were there that night, not for those who have heard a few hundred live shows over the years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DennisC said:

It´s funny. The first show I ever saw with Bruce was the july 2nd 1988 show in Stockholm(day before the famous radio broadcast) and for some reason one of the songs I remember the most is I´m a coward. The horns were smoking, the lightning was just fantastic and it was a blast all around.

I guess what I´m saying is although it may drag a bit on tape it worked brilliant live.

Same here after the Oslo '88 show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, badlands78 said:

I think “I’m a Coward” was maybe the first of the tradition of the long mid-setlist song with the extended spoken portions and the shenanigans etc.  Maybe a precursor to “Roll of the Dice”, “Tenth Avenue Freeze Out” (reunion tour version), and “Mary’s Place” as far as its function in the set overall?

Agree, think it was the first of the preachy / preacher-y long mid-setlist songs, quite different from Glory Days or Growin' Up from BITUSA and earlier, but these were stories. . Also, it was possibly the best, WOAD being the nadir.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Dr. Zoom said:

 Also, it was possibly the best.

And, if you like Coward or not, (or only like the song, but not the introduction), at least it fitted in the 'theme' or 'context' of the show. Livin' In The Future also. Others not so much. Except Reunion Tenth Avenue and Mary's Place to introduce the band, but there were no 20-minutes versions needed to introduce the band.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, DennisC said:

It´s funny. The first show I ever saw with Bruce was the july 2nd 1988 show in Stockholm(day before the famous radio broadcast) and for some reason one of the songs I remember the most is I´m a coward. The horns were smoking, the lightning was just fantastic and it was a blast all around.

I guess what I´m saying is although it may drag a bit on tape it worked brilliant live.

Broken record post here .... But sadly thats the only Bruce rock band tour i missed in 40 years ...and it haunts me that i missed You Can Look/I'm A Coward....I thinks its incredible

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally had time to put the HD files of this show to the Bowers & Wilkins headphones test and the sound is a MILLION times better than the awful Toby Scott mix of the show a few days earlier. Altschiller, all is forgiven. You are no Bob Clearmountain but you are a million times better than Toby Scott. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a Coward just smokes. Its all very theatrical of course - that's part of the appeal to me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/15/2021 at 11:20 PM, badlands78 said:

I think “I’m a Coward” was maybe the first of the tradition of the long mid-setlist song with the extended spoken portions and the shenanigans etc.  Maybe a precursor to “Roll of the Dice”, “Tenth Avenue Freeze Out” (reunion tour version), and “Mary’s Place” as far as its function in the set overall?

Good point. I don’t actively dislike the song, I just think the second set isn’t as tight as the first; lots of soul covered and unreleased material. Although it does show that Bruce can play unfamiliar material Tina stadium crowd! A notion he gave up on at some point in his career.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/18/2021 at 3:17 AM, bobfan1976 said:

Good point. I don’t actively dislike the song, I just think the second set isn’t as tight as the first; lots of soul covered and unreleased material. Although it does show that Bruce can play unfamiliar material Tina stadium crowd! A notion he gave up on at some point in his career.

The 78 tour had a similar tight first set with lots of original material including lots from the new album, and a second set with a mix of unreleased tracks and extended/longer versions of originals. Even if you had all four albums a lot of that second set would have been new and unfamiliar. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, phantomengineer said:

You say you finally cleaned up your room?

Good girl!

OMG ! 

You've seen behind the door ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This played on ESR yesterday afternoon. 

Be True - unbelievably stunning! followed by a very disappointing Adam. But I won't go into it. 

Plus I just noticed on Cover Me, how Nils guitar plays a soft lead through out the song or at least most of it. Kind of like in the background! Interesting! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

This played on ESR yesterday afternoon. 

Be True - unbelievably stunning! followed by a very disappointing Adam. But I won't go into it. 

Plus I just noticed on Cover Me, how Nils guitar plays a soft lead through out the song or at least most of it. Kind of like in the background! Interesting! 

Im too scared to listen to Adam 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...