Greasy Lake Community

Is There A Song You Wish Bruce Hadn't Played At A Show You Were At?

I ask this as I've just posted in the last show topic that Thundercrack at Leeds just sucked the life out of the show for me,so I wondered what song might have had a similar affect for others,has a song stopped the flow of a show for you or is there a song where you automatically think toilet break time?

For some Thundercrack might have been a highlight that night.

I find it interesting that while we all love Bruce one persons magic moment may well be someone else's nightmare.

• Like 1

Your kidding me right? 

Loose ends 

I want my 78 intro and my long kitty ! 

I know our late freind Rosie was a fan of neither but loved (like most of you) loose ends

It just does nothing for me

Completly my fault because i can't connect with it 

Rosie attended quite a few shows on the last US river 2016 thread and got frustrated at my love for kitty and the 78 intro turning up at her shows

I just want them one time !

Oh and a big fucking boo hiss to who ever made the PMMMD* xmas tree light sign in Moncton

He had played the 78 intro the date before 

*im not anti all SS

TLLOM or FOUTR or even open all night would have been awsome 

Yes i have issues 

I love loose change 

Why not loose change 

What a rarity that would have been  !

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Your kidding me right? 

Loose ends 

I want my 78 intro and my long kitty ! 

I know our late freind Rosie was a fan of neither but loved (like most of you) loose ends

It just does nothing for me

Completly my fault because i can't connect with it 

Rosie attended quite a few shows on the last US river 2016 thread and got frustrated at my love for kitty and the 78 intro turning up at her shows

I just want them one time !

Oh and a big fucking boo hiss to who ever made the PMMMD* xmas tree light sign in Moncton

He had played the 78 intro the date before 

*im not anti all SS

TLLOM or FOUTR or even open all night would have been awsome 

Yes i have issues 

I love loose change 

Why not loose change 

What a rarity that would have been  !

Ok, it's early Sunday morning here. Can you remind me what TLLOM and FOUTR are? I know I should know, but ... :unsure:

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

Ok, it's early Sunday morning here. Can you remind me what TLLOM and FOUTR are? I know I should know, but ... :unsure:

Clues:

Further OUTR

This Little LOM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

First time I saw the band, Toon '81, they ended with Rocking All Over The World. I was annoyed and turned to my brother and asked why the heck they were playing a Status Quo song. He reminded me it was a Fogerty song so I quit complaining and carried on dancing.

I still would have preferred one of their own songs to end with.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Eileen said:

First time I saw the band, Toon '81, they ended with Rocking All Over The World. I was annoyed and turned to my brother and asked why the heck they were playing a Status Quo song. He reminded me it was a Fogerty song so I quit complaining and carried on dancing.

I still would have preferred one of their own songs to end with.

If it wasn't the first song Bruce learnt on guitar thats how id feel about twist & shout

There is definatly a plus with a acoustic solo TR or this hard land to close after the encore 

1 hour ago, janeymarywendy said:

f4f9dd09783bbee3c85e2007b4de36a1.jpg

• Bruuuuce! 1

Sunny Day at any show since 2007. Any E Street version of Pay Me My Money Down, too. Shackled as the opener at the Olympic Park (London) show on 30 June 2013. 

I’m sure somebody will say this one (full disclaimer: I wasn’t there for this show): My Hometown at Giants Stadium, 26 July 2003.

• Like 1

I see a few people mentioning Waitin' on a sunny day in this thread.

Being a singalong, if anything for me this song lifted a crowd, especially in stadiums.

It's certainly not one of my favourites, and I wish Bruce had never started the cringeworthy habit of using kids to sing the chorus, but for me I can understand fully why he plays it so often.

My nomination would be Countin' on a miracle during the Rising tour.

The song is a plodder to start with, and the music and lyrics are hardly the sort to get a crowd inspired and it certainly didn't have that effect at the three Rising shows I was at, nor of any recording from that tour I have heard since.

St. Louis 2009 after a very half ass effort during the main body of the show which included the whole BTR album, the encore started. I said to my wife maybe he will kick it up a notch now. Then he started the encore set with a piano version of For You. Only time I ever left a show disappointed. 

• Hug 1

No.1: Waitin' On A Sunny Day, obvs!

No.2: Dream Baby Dream - if he'd finished the Devils & Dust shows with a different song every night instead of this mediocre cover, memories of the tour would have been better. Actually, in general Bruce's encores are way too predictable and all performances would be improved if there was more uncertainty in the encores. (Tough crowd?)

Whenever Bruce plays Sunny Day and looks out at all those thousands of happy smiling faces clapping and singing along, how come he fails to realise they all hate it?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, gsquare said:

I would say Hungry Heart or Sunny Day at any show, but then I'm gonna need a bathroom break at some point so I don't mind them that much. :P

Mary's Place was mine. :)

I think I must have just crossed my legs previous to that cos I can't think of an earlier one. Did we have half time in the olden days?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

Mary's Place was mine. :)

I think I must have just crossed my legs previous to that cos I can't think of an earlier one. Did we have half time in the olden days?

I think from Darkness through at least the TOL tour we had a break.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eileen said:

Did we have half time in the olden days?

1978-1993 first and second set, yes, with a break (except Amnesty Tour, obviously).

1999-2000 Tenth Avenue could be used for a combination of toilet break, buying a drink, buying something at the merchandise stand and still be back in time for the post-Tenth Avenue song.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Whenever Bruce plays Sunny Day and looks out at all those thousands of happy smiling faces clapping and singing along, how come he fails to realise they all hate it?

That's right. Everyone loves it except diehard fans. Sadly mostly because of the Sunny Day kids.

All such a shame because Sunny Day is really a good song, and a very typical Bruce Springsteen song too: an uplifting song with dark lyrics.

It worked really well on the Rising Tour, after Empty Sky and You're Missing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Sadly mostly because of the Sunny Day kids.

I don't really understand why people get so upset over 1 minute out of a 3 hour show.

• Like 2