Greasy Lake Community

Is There A Song You Wish Bruce Hadn't Played At A Show You Were At?

On 4/13/2021 at 11:35 PM, Jimmy James said:

Yeah, I'm like 25% to get the Medley. 

But seriously check out some reviews of the 2009 St. Louis show. I kind of knew that it maybe a let down show. Because it was between the last show at The Spectrum in Philly and the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame show. 2008 was one of the greatest show ever to 2009 one of the worst.

I was at 100 % in August of 1984...3 for 3.....Now i'm at 13 %...3 for 23 :(.....I would be embarrassed to admit some of the shows i've been let down at .... Usually due to to seeing a second show too close to the first .......That rule did not apply Nov 7th and 8th 2009 however :)

10 hours ago, BruceHistory said:

Thats easy if your anywhere near my age (51): Every time he played "57 Channels" ..... minus the first time he played it in 1990, which I saw live. 

Brad

Can i trade you a loose ends for a 57 channels  ? And ill throw in a PMMMD and a prove it (with no intro)

Ive always loved 57 channels 

On 4/14/2021 at 4:35 AM, Jimmy James said:

But seriously check out some reviews of the 2009 St. Louis show. I kind of knew that it maybe a let down show. Because it was between the last show at The Spectrum in Philly and the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame show. 2008 was one of the greatest show ever to 2009 one of the worst.

Good point - the same applies to Paris 2013  (Stade de France), which couldn’t have been more different (inferior) to the two indoor shows played at Bercy the year before. 

1999-08-01 - Backstreets

Show opener. Completely misplaced. I'd rather it be omitted than have such an important song misplaced like that.

2003-07-26 - Darlington County

Rising tour, literally in sight of where the WTC used to be. When Bruce and the crowd got to the line, "Our Pas each own one of the World Trade Centers," it was like the proverbial turd in the punchbowl as far as I was concerned. I was out of town on 9/11 on business, finally getting a flight back as far as Philly on Friday night. I'll never forget driving up the NJTP and looking over at the floodlit and still smoldering site - not for a little bit, but for many miles along that stretch. I cannot imagine those in NJ who had to see that every single day.

I've always been indifferent to Darlington County. And maybe now it's different than then. But so soon after 9/11, and in the proverbial shadow of the WTC, that song should have stayed unplayed IMO. 

On 4/12/2021 at 9:41 PM, 65pacecar said:

I’ll take listening to the Sunny Day kids singing over having to listen to Nils try to sing any day, and Patti for that matter.  

Nils sounds like a little girl when he’s singing anyway.

2 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

Nils sounds like a little girl when he’s singing anyway.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:41 PM, 65pacecar said:

I’ll take listening to the Sunny Day kids singing over having to listen to Nils try to sing any day, and Patti for that matter.  

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 hours ago, This is The Way said:

On 4/12/2021 at 9:41 PM, 65pacecar said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To me Patti sounded great in ‘88 but everything after that is nails down a blackboard. That breathy type of singing sets my teeth on edge.

• Haha 2

Glory Days. All 47 minutes of it... Dah dah daaah dah! Duh duh duuuh Duh! Dah dah daaah dah! Duh duh duuuh Duh....

• Haha 1

Bobby Jean. I got it at every. Single. Fucking. Show for my first 12 shows, including the Joad show (I mean, ditch Bus Stop for BJ?!). A close number two: Darlington County. Which probably is at the number 1 spot these days.

I've grown to enjoy BJ now though, I'd rather BJ be played than Darlington. Oh yeah.

1 hour ago, Dr. Zoom said:

I've grown to enjoy BJ now though, I'd rather BJ be played than Darlington. Oh yeah.

I'd rather hear Bobby Jean, Cover Me, Darlington County, Working On The Highway and Dancing in The Dark all played at the same show, than many of the so-called rarities that caused a collective orgasm of fans on SetList Vision etc. when they were played.

All personal, as one person's 'Holy Grail' is another one's 'It was on outtake because it is not a good song'.

As everything is personal indeed, I was hesitant to throw I'm On Fire and Glory Days into the above list of BUSA songs; and did not throw them in.

Edit: and all my posts about live shows, songs you would like to hear, or not, should come with the disclaimer I am guilty of the most impopular post in the history of Greasy Lake. So sometimes I should keep my mouth shut about these things.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lampi said:

I'd rather hear Bobby Jean, Cover Me, Darlington County, Working On The Highway and Dancing in The Dark all played at the same show, than many of the so-called rarities that caused a collective orgasm of fans on SetList Vision etc. when they were played.

All personal, as one person's 'Holy Grail' is another one's 'It was on outtake because it is not a good song'.

As everything is personal indeed, I was hesitant to throw I'm On Fire and Glory Days into the above list of BUSA songs; and did not throw them in.

Edit: and all my posts about live shows, songs you would like to hear, or not, should come with the disclaimer I am guilty of the most impopular post in the history of Greasy Lake. So sometimes I should keep my mouth shut about these things.

Yes and no. It depends on the rarity; if the rarity's not well played well, I'd sort of prefer some of the songs you mention (but not Darlington...). If the rarity is Frankie, and it's played like in Gothenburg in 2012, well...I'd take Frankie over most other songs. Or Roulette, which seems to be played well any time it's pulled out. Or Drive All Night. Or...

The "problem" with BJ at the Joad show, was that at that stage, Bus Stop was a standard in the set, so not a rarity (like The Wish was at the show I attended in Oslo). It was annoying that BJ replaced a standard song - and to my ears, a better one. I'm sure many disagree with me.

1 hour ago, Dr. Zoom said:

The "problem" with BJ at the Joad show, was that at that stage, Bus Stop was a standard in the set, so not a rarity

Just checked Brucebase: around the time of the Oslo show, Bobby Jean had more or less replaced Bus Stop as the standard opening of the encore, second half of the European Tour Bobby Jean was the rule and Bus Stop the exception.

I still feel your pain though.:( Maybe also because then, without knowledge of the Reunion Era that would be, you maybe felt you had missed what could have been -at least then- your only chance to ever hear a song of one of the first two albums?

Edit: while it is natural for me to first check Brucebase, many of these things can also found on this website, which is more than just this forum.

13 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Just checked Brucebase: around the time of the Oslo show, Bobby Jean had more or less replaced Bus Stop as the standard opening of the encore, second half of the European Tour Bobby Jean was the rule and Bus Stop the exception.

I still feel your pain though.:( Maybe also because then, without knowledge of the Reunion Era that would be, you maybe felt you had missed what could have been -at least then- your only chance to ever hear a song of one of the first two albums?

Edit: while it is natural for me to first check Brucebase, many of these things can also found on this website, which is more than just this forum.

Yes, I know BJ had become the replacement for Bus Stop by Oslo, but still...I dunno, maybe in retrospect, I'd have preferred BJ AND Bus Stop, with BJ instead of The Wish. The Wish was super cool at the time, because it was only the 4th time it was played, but...BJ really is the superior song. 

20 hours ago, bobfan1976 said:

To me Patti sounded great in ‘88 but everything after that is nails down a blackboard. That breathy type of singing sets my teeth on edge.

I agree, I thought she was good on the BITUSA and TOL tours but terrible since, especially in the awful solo during her intro in Tenth.  Nils never sounded good when he opened his mouth (with Bruce, solo, his own stuff or covers)  but he can smoke a guitar. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jag3004 said:

Spirit in the night with the "can you feel the spirit?" intro,  just heard it too often!!

SITN is one of my all time favorite songs and the song that got me hooked on Bruce at a very young age, but the do you feel the spirit segment got a bit long at times.  In Cincinnati we got to feel the Spirit and hear the toilet story together, not sure where he was really going with it at that point.  

I may have said this already

I feel dreadfully ungrateful when i think aboit it but im only must trying over it 

But prove it with out the intro just about killed me 

I was stunned and just wanted to burst into tears

Why ?

Why ?

Why ?

On 4/23/2021 at 4:16 PM, This is The Way said:

Songs that shouldn't have been played................... the entire Seeger 2006 tour............ hehe

My slightly different take: any song from the Seeger tour shouldn’t have been played with E Street. 

American Land and Pay Me are the two obvious choices, but the Tampa 2014 show just before Jazz Fest has a couple of some awful runs as Bruce integrated them into the set (Jesse James, O Mary...).

• Like 3