Greasy Lake Community

New Nils Interview, Bruce has 10,15 Unreleased Albums

https://www.app.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/04/11/nils-lofgren-talks-bruce-springsteen-e-street-band-letter-you-boss-dwi-set-up/7181110002/

“Of course when you’re that prolific — he probably has 10, 15 albums in the can and hundreds  of unreleased songs — I was really grateful that he stayed focused to complete the record of the week and recognize it for the special thing it was.”

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

That’s including the rumored country, gospel and hiphop albums end eighties early nineties?

2 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Nils is a genius on the guitar, but I just can’t take seriously a grown man who wears a Willy Wonka hat.

9F924D58-E585-489E-BDFD-FC1FF3A2D234.png

EC349631-4122-4524-BBD4-75B53191ACEA.jpeg

As as he doesn't show up in a Taylor Swift-T-Shirt it's okay...

• Like 1
3 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

10-15 unreleased albums is probably a huge exaggeration. Would love that to be true though and if so I hope they get released in my lifetime, if not Bruce’s own. 

I agree, but the early unreleased acoustic stuff would probably fill three, at forty minutes each. And that's before Greetings. 

I think Nils would know. He was probably there for the recording sessions of most of them. I think with all these comments from Bruce back in the fall talking about tracks 2, to max, nils, they are laying the ground work of what might be coming in a boxset, Since its rumored to be a lost album box set..

• Like 1

He's probably aso factoring in "albums" that he wasn't around for.

4 hours ago, One_Step_Up said:

1972 Acoustic album
1982 Electric Nebraska
1986 Country album 
1994 Hip-hop album 
1997 Country Western album 
2001 E-Street Band sessions
2012 Gospel Album

what else?

Did I read country and hip hop records correctly?

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, zzcoolness said:

Did I read country and hip hop records correctly?

Yes.

The 1994 'Hip Hop' album is a lost album made with some members of the 1992-1993 band. No one knows how it sounds, and over the years it became known as the 'Hip Hop' album. Better description is probably 'Album with electronic influences'; like, Secret Garden, Streets of Philadelphia and Missing all have a sort of 'electronic influence' or 'electronic vibe'. It is also unknown which songs are on it, but some songs are believed to be later re-recorded with the ESB. Some of those re-recordings might be unheard too, from late 90s-early 00s sessions with the ESB. Nothing Man was on the 1994 album and re-recorded with the ESB for The Rising. Maybe Back In Your Arms is on the 1994 album too.

(Edit, according to Brucebase: the 1994 'hip hop' album and the 1994 album recorded with some members of the 1992-1993 band, working title: Waiting On The End Of The World, are actually two different albums! And Missing is one of the songs recorded for the 'hip hop', 'electronic' album 'drums and loops'.).

The 1987 (not 1986) country album was recorded with -indeed- country musicans early 1987. Little of it is known, also not what was recorded: only a few songs, a complete album, and/or Tunnel of Love songs. The sessions were very secret and abruptly ended when they leaked. ('Leaked'; the fact those sessions took place leaked, not the music itself, obviously).

The 1997 'country western' album is also described as 'western swing' album.

There is also an unreleased 2010 country album (Bruce himself talked about that in interviews).

Not all music from the Seeger Sessions was on the Seeger album.

• Bruuuuce! 1
14 hours ago, High As Hope said:

Didn't Bruce say he wrote 40 songs for WS? 

I'd like to hear those to see what didn't make the album.

No we don't! :P

18 hours ago, One_Step_Up said:

1972 Acoustic album
1982 Electric Nebraska
1986 Country album 
1994 Hip-hop album 
2012 Gospel Album

what else?

Acoustic Album: TJOTJ, D&D, BOB

Electric Nebraska: Most all tunes have an Electric version live already but My Fathers House, wish I hope there isn't another version

Country& Western: Western Stars

Hip Hop & Gospel: parts of Wrecking Ball. 

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, One_Step_Up said:

1972 Acoustic album
1982 Electric Nebraska
1986 Country album 
1994 Hip-hop album 
2012 Gospel Album

what else?

If you go by Brucebase, then he could've been working on two separate albums in '94: The "Hip-hop" influenced album and "Waiting On The End Of The World."  The former having been recorded in early '94 and the latter in late '94.  Of course, Brucebase has been mistaken before, but that would be pretty awesome if true.  "Burnin' Train", for instance, was originally demoed in late '93, and it's difficult to imagine that one being recorded with drum loops.

There were also solo sessions scattered throughout the late '90's and early to mid 00's that we know next to nothing about (aside from Devils and Dust).

Then, there's the second portion of the Western Stars sessions with 20 - 30 unreleased songs as previously stated.

Also, apparently Rainmaker was originally recorded back in 2003.  Brucebase doesn't specify if this was a demo or with the band, but that could very well have been part of a post-Rising, pre-Devils and Dust recording session.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lampi said:

The 1994 'Hip Hop' album is a lost album made with some members of the 1992-1993 band. No one knows how it sounds, and over the years it became known as the 'Hip Hop' album. Better description is probably 'Album with electronic influences'; like, Secret Garden, Streets of Philadelphia and Missing all have a sort of 'electronic influence' or 'electronic vibe'.

(Edit, according to Brucebase: the 1994 'hip hop' album and the 1994 album recorded with some members of the 1992-1993 band, working title: Waiting On The End Of The World, are actually two different albums! And Missing is one of the songs recorded for the 'hip hop', 'electronic' album 'drums and loops'.)

From my personal correspondence with Toby Scott:

In an interview with Backstreets magazine in 2005, guitarist Shayne Fontaine mentioned a project called Waiting On the End of the World. He said the album was cut in 1994 with the core of the 92/93 touring band and that it was completed, and ready for release. He said that "at the last minute" it was called off, specifically by Landau. Does any of this ring a bell?

It rings a bell and Shayne doesn’t know everything. #1, the alternate band did not play on these recordings. #2. It was a great record, amazing. Primarily all Bruce.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, estband said:

It rings a bell and Shayne doesn’t know everything. #1, the alternate band did not play on these recordings. #2. It was a great record, amazing. Primarily all Bruce.

Maybe Scott thinks of the 'hip hop' album and forgets the Waiting OTEOTW album?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Country& Western: Western Stars

The 1997 'country and western album' is supposed to be 'Western Swing' music:

'Western swing is a style of popular music that began in the 1920s in the American Southwest among the region's popular Western string bands. It is dance music, often with an up-tempo beat. The music is an amalgamation of rural, cowboy, polka, and folk, New Orleans jazz or Dixieland, and blues blended with a jazzy "swing". and played by a hot string band often augmented with drums, saxophones, pianos and, notably, the steel guitar. Later incarnations have also included overtones of bebop.'

So, not really Western Stars. But, TBH, also not Roulette, Murder Inc. or Harry's Place...

• Bruuuuce! 1