Greasy Lake Community

Born in the USA @ My Wedding

I’m a huge Bruce fan and trying to incorporate some songs into my wedding. 

Is Born in the USA appropriate to be the last fast song of the night? It would be played to represent the opposite of what the song stands for and we’d be focusing on shouting the title line.

I really don’t want to play Shout or Don’t Stop Believin’ & banking on drunk guests not considering context and just having a good time.  

We all know the song kicks ass

Its your wedding and your and your about to be spouce's big day

Congratulations 

Its really lovelly to hear of some happy news

If you want to have BITUSA you go ahead and have it

If Bruce didnt want people to enjoy it for pure enjoyment sake he wouldn't play it in stadiums in far off places (like Auckland, where i got it)

And he plays it with a big happy smile on his face !

Now in all seriousness how many Bruce songs do you think you can get on the play list ?

• Like 1

I'm thinking "I'm Going Down and Downbound Train" might be bad songs to play. Cover Me might be a good tune to play? BITUSA might work as an anthem! Not what it really means. "When You Need Me" Would be a great first dance or Father Daughter dance!  

Hey welcome aboard! Best to start your own thread to introduce yourself, so we get to know you!  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

Its no worse than "I Will Always Love You", where everybody ignores the fact that it's a break up song.

Gary's daughter had i'll be watching you so the OP might as well have the way :lol:

But serously  @Beaver play all the favourites your financee will let you get away with  

Book of dreams always seems popular for weddings around here

I love if i should fall behind

If it was my wedding id be having kitty's back slotted in at the church in lue of one of the hymnes ! 

And id open the music at the reception with the 78 intro ! 

Im assuming said financee is 100% on board with your Bruce fandom ?

Oh and @Beaver

a85d2f27dc32e7370f25c57f283585d3.jpg

1 hour ago, Born To Walk said:

Its no worse than "I Will Always Love You", where everybody ignores the fact that it's a break up song.

You can do what you wish for your reception, Born in the USA will likely go over exactly how you expect it will

I have always had an ironic appreciation for wedding receptions that play "We've Got Tonight" Bob Seger's ode to one night stands and The Police's "Every Breath you take" and miss the whole idea of the song

Here are a couple of others

https://medium.com/@evbro/4-songs-that-don-t-mean-what-you-think-they-mean-5c48a43d47d3

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, CmonMrTrouble said:

You can do what you wish for your reception, Born in the USA will likely go over exactly how you expect it will

I have always had an ironic appreciation for wedding receptions that play "We've Got Tonight" Bob Seger's ode to one night stands and The Police's "Every Breath you take" and miss the whole idea of the song

Here are a couple of others

https://medium.com/@evbro/4-songs-that-don-t-mean-what-you-think-they-mean-5c48a43d47d3

Phew

Cool

12 year old me passed that test 4/4

- i may have been a little bit older before i knew the Pattie Boyd back story 

Serously if people know a song well enough to sing along don't they pay attention to what they are singing !