Greasy Lake Community

The end of the TGLITW?

AMIW

2 hours ago, AMIW said:

Apart from TGLITW teams

italy juventus, ac Milan, inter milan

spain Barcelona, Real Madrid, athletico madrid

no teams from France, Germany listed

The head of PSG is too tied in to footie institutions to make the move. The Germans are fan-owned, won't happen. The Spanish clubs would also have to vote on it. And the ability and apparent willingness of the institutions (FIFA, UEFA, FA, La Liga, and the Italians) to threaten excommunication for both clubs and players is big. I think they shut it down.

No wonder Spurs and Arsenal signed up. Mid table going nowhere in the premier league. Disgraceful really. And pure greed from the others. 
I’m most surprised by Barcelona with “more than a club” plastered all over their seats who even refused to have a sponsor on their shirts for most of their history. It won’t happen and it’s hugely embarrassing for the worlds biggest clubs. But it seems they don’t care. 

So if I understand it right the 15 founding clubs cannot be relegated so if the other 5 guests clubs finish in the top 5 it is they who wil be relegated and not spurs in 20th spot? With zero points

4 hours ago, AMIW said:

So if I understand it right the 15 founding clubs cannot be relegated so if the other 5 guests clubs finish in the top 5 it is they who wil be relegated and not spurs in 20th spot? With zero points

Correct. Is this American ownership influence? I don’t follow Basketball and other American sports but to do this with football is unforgivable. 

Good riddance to them. Let them play each other week-in, week-out in their hermetically sealed bubble of 12/15. Let the rest of football crack on without them.

• Like 1

It has been heading this way since the inception of the European trophies in the 1950`s it was just a matter of time, I think it will happen in some form or another,, but it may be a while off yet as there wil be so many political hoops to jump through. The last twenty years and more have not been good for the game, which is no longer the working man`s game, as the divide between have`s and have not`s has become an abyss and will eventually kill off the game (and many clubs with it) as we know it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, JimCT said:

The Germans are fan-owned, won't happen. The Spanish clubs would also have to vote on it.

Not 100% sure about any of this, but in the case of Barça I don't think the members have a say in this. And German teams are not exactly fan-owned. They have this 51/49 rule that more than half of the shares have to be owned by the club itself. I don't think this has anything to do with the fans.

20 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I’m most surprised by Barcelona with “more than a club” plastered all over their seats who even refused to have a sponsor on their shirts for most of their history. It won’t happen and it’s hugely embarrassing for the worlds biggest clubs. But it seems they don’t care. 

"More than a club" had nothing to do with moral values or being charitable. At least initially. Nevertheless I fully agree with you. In the case of Barça it's also out of necessity because they're broke. And without any additional income they won't be able to financially compete for quite a while.

Personally I don't see how UEFA and FIFA can stop this from happening. The clubs have all the power here. Maybe if UEFA change the Champions League according to the big clubs wishes. But I don't see FIFA or the leagues banning teams or players. That would hurt them financially too much. Can you imagine a World Cup without all those star players? Not going to happen.

10 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

Not 100% sure about any of this, but in the case of Barça I don't think the members have a say in this. And German teams are not exactly fan-owned. They have this 51/49 rule that more than half of the shares have to be owned by the club itself. I don't think this has anything to do with the fans.

"More than a club" had nothing to do with moral values or being charitable. At least initially. Nevertheless I fully agree with you. In the case of Barça it's also out of necessity because they're broke. And without any additional income they won't be able to financially compete for quite a while.

Personally I don't see how UEFA and FIFA can stop this from happening. The clubs have all the power here. Maybe if UEFA change the Champions League according to the big clubs wishes. But I don't see FIFA or the leagues banning teams or players. That would hurt them financially too much. Can you imagine a World Cup without all those star players? Not going to happen.

FIFA, UEFA, and the national governing bodies can either stand firm or get neutered. There is no middle ground.

As the saying goes, "Are you a man, or a mouse? Squeak up!"

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez:

"We will help football at every level and take it to its rightful place in the world. Football is the only global sport in the world with more than four billion fans and our responsibility as big clubs is to respond to the wishes of the fans."

As out of touch as your typical politician or lying through his teeth?

I wonder, what are the players thinking about this? With basically every former player or manager now working as pundit being appalled by it, one must assume a high number of players from these teams are as well. Will all of them keep their mouths shut and pocket their millions, or will some speak up?