Greasy Lake Community

The end of the TGLITW?

AMIW

1 hour ago, LeoGetz said:

I wonder, what are the players thinking about this? With basically every former player or manager now working as pundit being appalled by it, one must assume a high number of players from these teams are as well. Will all of them keep their mouths shut and pocket their millions, or will some speak up?

James Milner said tonight after the Leeds v LFC game that he didn’t like it and he hopes it doesn’t happen. Massive respect to him and I hope more and more players come out to condemn the plans. They must speak up to save the game as we know it. 

Definitely a bad idea for everyone except the super rich chairman, hopefully the players will come out against too...

the only thing I would say at the moment it would be unfair to ban the players from the euros which start in a few weeks as they had no knowledge of this wacky plan until yesterday so are just pawns in the game.

they can request transfers at the end of the season if they want or face missing the next World Cup,or euros assuming uefa and fifa can do that legally but until then they should be allowed to play in the euros

• Like 1

I know we bicker on here about each others teams, but does anyone here think this is remotely a good idea??  I liked how Klopp and Milner were so forthcoming about their opposition to the idea. Let's hear more from the other clubs about what managers and players think - maybe I missed something (to be fair it all happens overnight for us here and my Twitter feed is somewhat clogged with the discussion so I might have missed Tuchel or Ole saying something?

We have a situation here where every likelihood is that 3 of the 6 PL clubs who have signed up for this disgraceful project will not qualify for the CL next season. That in itself is a reason for it to be blatantly wrong on so many levels. I’m ashamed that the owners and board at United are leading on this farcical project that will kill football. The only club that does not disappoint me here is Spurs because I expect nothing less of Daniel Levy who knows his club is not capable of achieving a place at Europe’s top table on merit and as such their new stadium costs could put the club out of business. For him it is too good to be true. 

Manchester United and LFC fans in particular must stand united in this issue to push their clubs to abandon this project which will kill football. I have two sons who are 8 and 5 years old and I want them to grow up still loving football as they already do, but loving competition and feeling the highs and lows of sporting success and sporting failure. The American model of closed franchises can never work in football. There has to be fair and open competition. 
West Ham and Leicester should feel greater motivation than ever to qualify for the Champions League on merit now in these last few games of the season. 

• Like 2

If FIFA et al follow through with their threat of excommunication for clubs and players who join the breakaway, then players like Harry Kane or KDB face the prospect of playing for Spurs or Citeh in the Super League and nowhere else, or moving clubs and playing domestic, Euro, and World Cup. And a court might easily conclude that existing contracts that bind players like Kane and KDB were invalidated by the club's own actions, allowing the players to move on as free agents.

While FIFA and UEFA are clearly imperfect and corrupt organizations, they alone have the ability to stop this effort, and they should do so. That does not rehabilitate FIFA and UEFA from their past behaviors. It's just the right thing to do now.

As I said earlier, PSG won't participate - https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-04-20/paris-saint-germain-said-to-reject-soccer-super-league-approach

Paris Saint-Germain Said to Reject Soccer Super League Approach

By 

David Hellier and Stefan Nicola

April 20, 2021, 6:36 AM EDT

French soccer giant Paris Saint-Germain will side with Europe’s governing body in rejecting plans for a 12-team breakaway Super League and is planning to make a statement as early as today, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Qatar-owned PSG, which is one of Europe’s richest clubs and has qualified for the semifinals of this season’s UEFA Champions League, would add weight to the ranks of teams opposing the plans. Germany’s six-time European champion, Bayern Munich, and Borussia Dortmund have also been critical holdouts, joining a global outcry from fans and governments.

The reluctance of teams from France and Germany to join the 4 billion-euro ($4.8 billion) Super League, financed by JPMorgan Chase & Co, is a potential drag on the appeal of the rebel competition. PSG boasts a team of global superstars, led by Brazilian Neymar and French attacker Kylian Mbappe. Chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi spent an estimated total of more than 400 million euros to bring them to Paris.

“This project just does not work without France and Germany,” said Francois Godard, a media analyst at Enders Analysis. “How can you sell it as a European league when you’re just talking about Milan, Madrid and London?”

Breakaway Soccer League Sparks European War Over Richest Sport

The confrontation reflects the evolution of the world’s most popular game as a global business. Led by clubs from England, Italy and Spain, teams with vast fanbases and significant debts are seeking to squeeze more cash from broadcasting rights and underpin revenue after a year spent playing in empty stadiums.

Note: Net debt is loans and borrowings (interest bearing) minus cash and cash equivalents. Figures as at end of June 2020. Data not available for Liverpool.

Under the Super League plan, the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool and Real Madrid would start their own competition in August. Six teams from England, three from Italy and three from Spain have signed up so far. The so-called “founding members” say they intend to sign up another three permanent members and offer places to five more teams each season. The 20 teams would play each other midweek as an alternative to the current Champions League.

PSG, whose backing would be a significant boost to the breakaway league, will issue a statement supporting UEFA, said the person, who asked not to be named because the talks are private. The club did not immediately reply to several requests for comment.

PSG’s Qatari owners have close ties with UEFA and the country is scheduled to host the World Cup next year -- a competition that could take a serious hit if soccer governing body FIFA decides to ban Super League players from taking part.

The spat has also led to a shake-up of the European Club Association, a body that represents the interests of more than 200 soccer clubs. Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge is to replace Andrea Agnelli, chairman of breakaway club Juventus, as an ECA representative on UEFA’s executive committee -- a boon to the European body and a setback for Super League backers hoping to win over the German team.

Bayern and Dortmund have both issued statements in opposition to the Super League plans. They did not immediately respond when contacted for further comment. While German clubs have started to open up toward external financing, they remain under-funded compared to English rivals. Supporter involvement remains key, with members still shaping key decisions at most Bundesliga clubs and commercial investors barred from holding more than 49% of voting shares.

Even RB Leipzig, a club that has come under fire from soccer fans because of its backing from energy drink maker Red Bull GmbH, has rejected plans to establish a Super League.

“Sporting competition in professional football means fighting to achieve a position in the domestic league table that allows the team to take part in international competition,” Oliver Mintzlaff, CEO of the club, said in a statement. “For us, changing this is absolutely out of the question.”

Shaun ... Klopp is the only one to be interviewed so far because Liverpool are the only one of the clubs involved to have played this week

chelsea play today, man city and spurs tomorrow, arsenal and Man U not til the weekend so it will be interesting to see which managers toe the party line when interviewed

• Like 1

Pep just did his presser ahead of city’s game tomorrow and he said he’s against the concept of a closed league without promotion and relegation but he also suggested on the matter of self interest that UEFA are also only worried about their own self interests. 

It’s a shit idea but I’m enjoying the piss boiling. Uefa fucked up with getting financial fair play totally wrong and letting PSG & Man City get away with financial doping. 3 of this years semi finalists all run by petro dollar’s. Not for me Clive. 

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Pep just did his presser ahead of city’s game tomorrow and he said he’s against the concept of a closed league without promotion and relegation but he also suggested on the matter of self interest that UEFA are also only worried about their own self interests. 

He's not wrong.

it wont happen but a lot of stuff will change, it seems to be blackmail by these clubs and it wouldnt be surprising if the powers that be pay a ransom to stop it happening, wages are so high now clubs can barely cover them without a massive explosion of income from the far east. they have let wages get out of hand the current model will not work for much longer

• Like 1

grimbsy offereto swap one of their shirts with the big six

Grimsby's amnesty shirt swap stacking up
League Two side Grimsby Town have offered fans of English clubs involved in the European Super League (ESL) a chance to swap their shirts.

Grimsby Town has offered to exchange fans' shirts for the "big six" sides for one of its own.

It said the offer would last until Friday or "while stocks last".

The club said it would accept Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester City, Manchester United or Tottenham tops that were three years old or less.

Items can be donated at Grimsby's Blundell Park club shop or bar, with all items given to local groups and to projects in Africa.

Read more here.