Greasy Lake Community

The end of the TGLITW?

AMIW

With Covid still hammering national economies, it's difficult to imagine the Spanish government bailing them out yet again. Oh dear what a pity. Maybe they can play Juventus every week.

So Madrid haven’t initiated their exit from the Super League - how can uefa let them play their semi final next week?! 
UEFA need to do something other than their proposed 10 group stage match new format. That will be dreadful to watch. It’s painful enough as it is until the knock out stage. 

9 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

Florentino Perez says Real Madrid need more money to survive. Then turns around and signs David Alaba. He also says that without the Super League transfers for Haaland or Mbappe won't be possible. Well, then don't buy them. These people are absolutely despicable.

If you can only afford a second hand mini don't go out & buy a brand new BMW.

The constant we need more money because we can't stop spending it is just stupidity,especially when they blame everyone else except themselves for digging their own hole in the first place.

There are very few players out there worth anything like the money being paid for them.

Clubs seem to want to pay millions for average players instead of developing the players in their own academies that are right under their noses but of course this takes time & in the current world of "we have to have success now" nobody is given time.

At some point this is going to blow up in their faces,there are plenty of people in normal life that get to a crisis point where they have to face their debts & figure out how to deal with them,instead of just ignoring them & hoping everything will be ok tomorrow.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

So Madrid haven’t initiated their exit from the Super League - how can uefa let them play their semi final next week?! 
UEFA need to do something other than their proposed 10 group stage match new format. That will be dreadful to watch. It’s painful enough as it is until the knock out stage. 

It's interesting that in a world where managers constantly complain about too many games & fixture congestion creating more fixtures seems to be the at the forefront of the big clubs thinking.

On 4/21/2021 at 5:06 PM, Born To Walk said:

Real Madrid seem to view this differently to everyone else!

Real Madrid Updates

European Super League finished before it started. History will always remember how the Real Madrid president was the only person who had the balls to stand against UEFA's and FIFA's corruption. English clubs' withdrawal from the competition will also be remembered as the biggest betrayal in sports history.

They didn't save football as its reported, they sold their dignity. They didn't pull out for the fans, they did it for money that they were offered by UEFA to do so. They were under pressure and they showed themselves weak. It's unbeliavable how Florentino Pérez is shown as the only villain in this history when 12 of the greatest clubs signed for this. Other club's betrayal doesn't mean that Pèrez failed. He achieved more than people might think. UEFA and FIFA had some slepless nights because of our chairman. Yes, he was the head of the ESL, but because he was the only one to speak out against corruption, against UEFA's president and their monopoly. Yesterday, UEFA came up with a new budget of 4 billion euros, and they had denied they had that money before. Before Pérez speaking out. The whole football world should say thank you to Florentino Pérez.

The only thing Pérez wanted was for the whole football clubs to earn more money and the greatest football institutions not to treat them as puppets. Last but not least, kudos to Barça for standing alongside our president and our club until the end. UEFA won against changes, football didn't win.

And I swear to God, the only thing I want right now is Real Madrid winning the Uefa Champions League of this season, against Chelsea, against City, against Paris, against Uefa, against FIFA and against the world. We had used this phrase before, but now it is more meaningful than ever. "If the world is against Real Madrid, I am against the world". Always by your side, my club and my president.

Barcelona unrepentant. I guess they just play each other week after week.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/23/football/barcelona-remain-committed-to-european-super-league-spt-intl/index.html

Just listened to the co-President of JP Morgan, head of investment banking who was behind the lending that facilitated this, say that all they did was arrange a loan for a client. Meanwhile, Chase (their retail arm) is about to open a new venture in Great Britain. I expect he'll get an answer to the question of whether there was any reputational damage from the ESL. ;) 

17 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Apparently none of the 12 clubs officially left the Super League yet. 10 (or 9) of them said they would, but they haven't done it officially. Rumours of a hefty fine that would have to be paid are going around in Spain. But The Sun and the Daily Mail look like quality journalism compared to most spanish sports papers, so who knows?

6 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

Apparently none of the 12 clubs officially left the Super League yet. 10 (or 9) of them said they would, but they haven't done it officially. Rumours of a hefty fine that would have to be paid are going around in Spain. But The Sun and the Daily Mail look like quality journalism compared to most spanish sports papers, so who knows?

We definitely haven’t heard the end of this super league idea, as much as all football fans wish it would just go away. The clubs know that if they can retain promotion and relegation and and the financial backing is given, they can make it happen in future. They’ve learned a lesson about qualifying on merit so potentially it could be even more dangerous now they know what they must avoid doing, with any new proposals. It’s up to UEFA to get in there first with a better proposal. 

The thread title is/was correct.

The so called super league would see the end of the Premier League and every other league in Europe...and every 2nd 3rd 4th ..division as well.

Promotion and relegation is why football is so good.  It's the entire reason football exists.

These greedy cunts wanted to do away with that.

The staggering arrogance of the 12 clubs involved is just..well it's fuckin' staggering.

To actually be guaranteed a European league full of TV rights and money and all the shit that goes with it...without even earning the right !  It's FUCKIN' discusting.

And let's be honest here, if the backlash and protests did not stop this, these bastards in charge would have let this happen.

Liverpool. Man utd, Chelsea, Arsenal Man City or Spurs could finish 4th bottom and still qualify for this money league. It makes me spew just thinking about it.

Spurs have won the league twice... 2 times !!! in their history ! 2 fuckin' times !

Sunderland have won it six fuckin times ! Let that sink in..Sunderland..who i hate ! have won the league 6 times !

Everton 9 times, Aston Villa 7 times

My club have won the damn thing 4 times ffs

Wolves and Huddersfield 3 each ! 

Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus can go and get fucked !  I hope all three go bust.

The so called "big 6" from England, well done, the hatred most non big six clubs hate for you has just gone off the map. 

Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Spurs...take a bow. ..

Every other English football club hates you entitled glory hunters even more.

ps. for those who say " it's not us it's our owners" nowt worse than having an owner who just cares only about money.. and does what the fuck he wants.  Been there for 14 years.

One of the things I find interesting about this whole dust up is the emphasis on the influence of the American club owners which is fair enough but what I find sort of amusing is the assumption that this super league would appeal to the North American audience. 

I don't know a single American fan of the EPL who thinks this is a good idea and that doesn't surprise me in the least.  What a lot of English commentators seem to overlook is 1) we follow European football because we like it - so we don't have much interest in changing it and 2) and (I will suggest this is REALLY important) is people like the Glazers... well we know these people, we know them really well.  And they are bastards.  Greedy, grasping bastards that will bilk sports fan of every last cent; they don't give a damn about sports, all they care about is money.  We know this.  So when they float a proposal the first thing we assume is its some sort of money grubbing hustle (and we ain't wrong).  And of course we all know why the Spanish clubs are all in - they are broke (I for one am looking forward to seeing Valencia at the top of the Spanish table in five years ;-)).  

Roy is correct; this isn't over and you can bet that in a couple of years when the dust is settled this idea will be back in one form or another.  Keep your eyes open and your hand on your wallet.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

One of the things I find interesting about this whole dust up is the emphasis on the influence of the American club owners which is fair enough but what I find sort of amusing is the assumption that this super league would appeal to the North American audience. 

I don't know a single American fan of the EPL who thinks this is a good idea and that doesn't surprise me in the least.  What a lot of English commentators seem to overlook is 1) we follow European football because we like it - so we don't have much interest in changing it and 2) and (I will suggest this is REALLY important) is people like the Glazers... well we know these people, we know them really well.  And they are bastards.  Greedy, grasping bastards that will bilk sports fan of every last cent; they don't give a damn about sports, all they care about is money.  We know this.  So when they float a proposal the first thing we assume is its some sort of money grubbing hustle (and we ain't wrong).  And of course we all know why the Spanish clubs are all in - they are broke (I for one am looking forward to seeing Valencia at the top of the Spanish table in five years ;-)).  

Roy is correct; this isn't over and you can bet that in a couple of years when the dust is settled this idea will be back in one form or another.  Keep your eyes open and your hand on your wallet.  

I don't think I agree with the assuption that the american owners of the EPL clubs initiated all that and the rest only tagged along. I remember when Joan Laporta campaigned to become Barcelona president for the first time in 2003, there was already talk about a Super League or Euro League. I do agree, though, that especially Barcelona need the Super League, while others probably just want it.

I really have had no opinion on this topic. But couldn't these money problems these club are having, be dealt with by having a salary cap and salary floor? Of course this need to be a Europe as a whole and not just league to league. Has that idea ever been floated? Works well in the NFL, most all teams have a shot at winning at the beginning of each year.

16 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

I really have had no opinion on this topic. But couldn't these money problems these club are having, be dealt with by having a salary cap and salary floor? Of course this need to be a Europe as a whole and not just league to league. Has that idea ever been floated? Works well in the NFL, most all teams have a shot at winning at the beginning of each year.

There is a salary cap in La Liga. It still benefits the rich clubs, because it's determind by annual revenue, but Barça have to reduce their wage bill by more than 30 million for next season to be under the cap. It's still by far not strict enough, but it is a step in the right direction. But as Ninethumbs said: the last thing the big clubs want is even and fair competition.

Another thing I wonder about the sanctions that UEFA threatens the 12 breakaway clubs with: can they even do that? I don't think clubs have contract with UEFA to participate. If a club says it doesn't want to participate in the CL or EL, I don't see how they can be punished.