Greasy Lake Community

RIP JIm Steinman

6 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

With Meat Loaf's voice long gone, it was great to hear those songs given new life. I know not everybody likes that type of show, but those songs were made for that format.

And i CAN'T be the only guy with a crush on Christina Bennington :lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Early North Jersey said:

And i CAN'T be the only guy with a crush on Christina Bennington :lol:

Highly likely that you're not the only one    03e9ddaca81f336a82de1616d6fed4a5.gif 

• Haha 1

Phil Spector - with specific reference to Steinman (who was working with Celine Dion) says he neither wished to remake "River Deep, Mountain High" or work with other producers he calls "amateurs, students, and bad clones of yours truly."

With all due deference, the Prodigal Son (Jim) replies simply…

"I'm thrilled to be insulted by Phil Spector. He's my God, my idol. To be insulted by Phil Spector is a big honor. If he spits on me I consider myself purified."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, misty rain said:

Meat seems a little full of himself here and there ...But i liked this

I’ve never told this story, but Jim is gone now and it’s time: We had finished the demos in 1975 when he called me one night. He said, “There’s this guy down here at the Bottom Line.” He didn’t even say “Bruce Springsteen.” It was just “a guy.” This is 11 p.m. at night. He said, “There’s a guy doing what we do down here at the Bottom Line. You have to come down and see the second show.” I said, “Jim, I’m not going to come down there in the middle of the night.”

I didn’t go. Jim stayed for both shows. And Jim thought that [E Street Band keyboardist] Roy Bittan was legitimate. I guess Jim liked Springsteen. He felt Roy Bittan was one of the best piano players in the world and he wanted him on this record. He said, “This guy is better than me.”

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Great praise for the E Street Band too at around 1:25 and on. It’s so rich in Bruce content that it might have been posted on the main forum. 

16 hours ago, Frank said:

16 hours ago, Frank said:

And here’s the second part. 

Absolutely fantastic. 

On 4/22/2021 at 12:23 PM, Born To Walk said:

image.png.0257b75e19b008b81a6cdb2c1fef15bb.png

Its sad how sick we can become of awesome songs we loved. I have been changing the station whenever "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" has come on for years. Last night i chose to listen with headphones to the entire song. In some ways its Jim's "Bohemian Rhapsody" So many musical changes in 8 minutes. And its the first time since Ellen Foley's wonderful tweet after Jim's death that i actually heard the words "STOP RIGHT THERE".

On 5/22/2021 at 11:54 AM, Early North Jersey said:

Its sad how sick we can become of awesome songs we loved. I have been changing the station whenever "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" has come on for years. Last night i chose to listen with headphones to the entire song. In some ways its Jim's "Bohemian Rhapsody" So many musical changes in 8 minutes. And its the first time since Ellen Foley's wonderful tweet after Jim's death that i actually heard the words "STOP RIGHT THERE".

I read/heard someplace that Paradise was originally 27 minutes long...Steinman thought that Todd Rundgren "butchered" it. :lol:

• Haha 1