Greasy Lake Community

Hi everyone,

I'm listening to all of shows at the moment and something always strikes me 

It is like Bruce plays some shows without big efforts but some others are just phenomenal seeming they just make constant efforts to improve every parts of each songs they are playing

The show they played in 1978 at the Masonic Temple of Detroit is phenomenal.. I don't event understand why some guys prefer passaic that is fantastic too, but this one is just oustandind. I never appreciate more a 78 Spirit in the Night than this one and Badlands is as great as the one they played in phoenix earlier.. plus Chimes of Freedom and Lost in the Flood .

Don't how they played so great (maybe because Bruce was in his church) but it's really strange to have this show from the same Darkness tour that is totally at a different level and even better than Houston 78

I don't understand how this show is never requested for NUGS archive release

I would love to have your feelings about it..

Take care everyone

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mxschrtt said:

I don't understand how this show is never requested for NUGS archive release

Because the chances of them having this in multitrack are very slim to none.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's a great show, for sure. I remember getting it in a cassette trade back in '85 or so. The first time I heard the Lost in the Flood to open the 2d set I was hooked.

• Like 3
21 hours ago, mxschrtt said:

There were a discussion about it already?

Unfortunately so. If we're really, really lucky, they'll have Berkeley 30 June/1 July, Passaic 21 September and Atlanta 1 October available on multitrack from 1978. Passaic is the most likely there (I'm almost certain they have that). First night in Atlanta would be truly spectacular as the audience tape from that is sadly unlistenable. 

Additionally, I've never seen anything that would suggest a SBD, let alone a multitrack, exists in the über circles. From memory, Gerber only worked with Bruce between 1975 and 1977, so that's not a possibility, either. 

As we've seen from Detroit/Toronto/LA on the River shows, (partial) soundboard tapes can acquired in dubious circumstances, so it's likely that INC don't even have some of those that circulate. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Nick21 said:

Unfortunately so. If we're really, really lucky, they'll have Berkeley 30 June/1 July, Passaic 21 September and Atlanta 1 October available on multitrack from 1978. Passaic is the most likely there (I'm almost certain they have that). First night in Atlanta would be truly spectacular as the audience tape from that is sadly unlistenable. 

Additionally, I've never seen anything that would suggest a SBD, let alone a multitrack, exists in the über circles. From memory, Gerber only worked with Bruce between 1975 and 1977, so that's not a possibility, either. 

As we've seen from Detroit/Toronto/LA on the River shows, (partial) soundboard tapes can acquired in dubious circumstances, so it's likely that INC don't even have some of those that circulate. 

Okokk but I meant there were no declaration about the board saying ''we have nothing from this show"

Which by the way is a stupid remark as maybe the question was maybe never asked

But about what they could have, I think the discussion is the same.. My view is that they have a lot of things and more that what we can except

Maybe we can have this one this year for the Darkness release

The discussion is opened for people who has information about this show! 

• Like 1

It's a fantastic show with nice rarities, which I'd (and surely many others) love to have as an official release, BUT like @Nick21said it's not likely that we'll get one.

The Detroit 1978 Masonic temple show first got some notoriety from the bootleg Who’s Been Covered By The Boss? which contained the premiere and only 1978 tour performance Chimes of Chimes of Freedom.

Then a little later I saw also a newsflash from the Detroit 1978 concert on a VHS tape collection tape with the other 1978 TV appearances, being Berkeley, Landover, MSG and Passaic. All those newsflash still on youtube (that is technical progress!)

This show is also mentioned in the Backstreets #59 issue (1998) as one of the "Ten Great Moments on the Darkness Tour":  "Just what was going on with Springsteen the night of this show cannot be speculated upon. But one might assume, by his song selection, that he had something weighing on his mind. The second set opens with the little-played "Lost in the Flood". The version is gut-wrenching, as Bruce plays the song alone on piano. Three songs later Bruce tells the crowd, "I'm gonna try something, all right? I don't know these words." A music stand is brought to the stage holding the same lyric notebook he used on "Lost in the Flood", and after a few adjustments ("This is embarrassing... I'm short!") he says, "All right, I'll try it... This is one of my favorite songs. Here we go, let's give it a shot". He strums a few cautious chords, Roy comes in, and in a instant, Bruce turns towards Max Weinberg yells "Heavy pedal on the drums!" - and "Chimes of Freedom" starts flashing. "Far between sundown's finish, and midnight's broken toll ..."

450541040_BruceSpringsteenMasonicTempleDetroit1978.jpg.2e7c77cb5a34056d3db5a0a594f4721f.jpg

http://www.thelightindarkness.com/darkness/bruce-springsteen-masonic-temple-detroit-1978/

• Like 2
On 4/21/2021 at 9:02 AM, mxschrtt said:

The show they played in 1978 at the Masonic Temple of Detroit is phenomenal.. I don't event understand why some guys prefer passaic that is fantastic too, but this one is just oustanding. I never appreciate more a 78 Spirit in the Night than this one and Badlands is as great as the one they played in phoenix earlier.. 

Seems to be a popular past time here on the lake: good – better – best · bad – worse – worst · little – less – least · much (many) – more – most · far – further - furthest.

Okay, here a deadmatch face to face between Detroit 1978 and Passaic 1978 as viewed by the unpartial local TV network crews:

• Like 1

This is a "no shit, Sherlock"-thought :P but if we had all of the Darkness-tour shows in the same officially released sound quality as Passaic, there would be a lot of candidates for the best show on that tour.

• Like 1

Darkness tour - every single show was great (imo), just some were greater than others, lol

Brucebase recording info as follows;

Audience tape. Released on CD 'Darkness At The Heartbreak Hotel' and four songs are included as bonus tracks on 'Winterland Night' (Crystal Cat). CDR released in 2010 'Wild Cathedral Evening' (JEMS / Flynn) from the master cassettes - a considerable upgrade. Video footage of the first three songs also circulates - the end of "Good Rockin' Tonight", most of "Badlands", and the start of "Streets Of Fire". This film is probably recorded by a local news crew.

I’d completely forgotten about that. Wow. Going on the assumption that she still had the tapes to photograph circa 1984 prior to the book’s initial release (and therefore seemingly kept them long after the No Nukes incident) that’s potentially a good sign. Just like the Gerber Tapes (imagine what they could have on two-track from 1977!), I’d love to know if INC have these tapes in the archive. Maybe it’ll be one of the releases that goes in to the second or third Darkness Tour empty boxes on sale via NUGS :D