Greasy Lake Community

Continuing the TOL story...,

It’s been a while since we had one of those what if threads about Human Touch and Lucky Town and how there is a great album trapped in there. 
I have spent my morning trying to creative a narrative that carries on from the failing relationship in TOL and the redemption found in a new relationship.

1. Trouble River- Opens the album with a nice solid rock song. The narrator is a dark place, “There's a river runs through this valley, cold and deep and black
Coming like a tombstone shadow across my back”

2. The long Goodbye, The narrator needs to leave that bad relationship behind and find a way to move forwards.

3.Human Touch, we find the narrator overcoming his demons which is prevent ing him from reaching out for what he desires. what we all need and crave human touch. 

4. Sad Eyes,
The narrator has fallen for a very close friend he keeps silent about that because he doesn’t want to risk the friendship, he is patiently waiting for her to realize that they're meant to be. In the meaning time, he has to listen to her talk about her life and love life, because that's what friends do.

5. I wish I was Blind, the narrator is jealous that the girl from Sad Eyes is with someone else it’s hard for him to witness.

6. Leavin Train, the narrator meets someone they have a brief relationship but there is nothing in it. She likes him he tries but it doesn’t work.

7. Roll of the Dice, the narrator Is rolling the dice again, and he knows he’s going to lose, but that’s okay, because between here and there lies a lot of fun.

8. All or nothin at all, the narrator knows what he wants and he is going to go after it.

9. Lucky Town the narrator is out of his period of self pity he is building himself back up.

10. Better Days the narrator has accepted his faults, his mistakes and made peace. He has a good relationship with the girl he fell for.

11. Leap of Faith,the narrator and his girl take the plunge into a new relationship a metaphorical leap of faith. 

12. My beautiful Reward,the relationship is everything the narrator wanted and is all he searched for.

13. Living Proof,the narrator and his partner have there first child together, it’s the next step in his life to become a father.

14. Happy, it’s late at night, years later the narrator looks back on the last few years and realises he is happy. 

I think this makes a stronger story than the two albums we got. What do you guys think? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, driveallnight89 said:

he has to listen to her talk about her life and love life, because that's what friends do.

You mean: because the girl just won't stop talking.

JK!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, driveallnight89 said:

12. My beautiful Reward,the relationship is everything the narrator wanted and is all he searched for.

14. Happy, it’s late at night, years later the narrator looks back on the last few years and realises he is happy. 

Every alternative for HT/LT, two seperate albums or just one album (the 'Lucky Touch' album), should end with My Beautiful Reward, as a natural closer. Happy should stay where it is, Tracks Disc 4.

BTW, it seems My Beautiful Reward is about the birth of Jessica.

Your nice album misses a few of the best songs of the sessions (because they did not fit the 'theme', probably; leaving good songs out in favour of others that better 'fit', just like Bruce himself did!:D): Seven Angels, 30 Days Out, Soul Driver, the already mentioned Real World and the very, very underrated With Every Wish.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, driveallnight89 said:

I like that idea tbh! See what you think!

That’s a great track list, however you can’t forget If I Should Fall Behind! I think Lucky Town as album is kind of a flip slide to TOL. Much of Working on a Dream continues the same themes too.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lampi said:

Every alternative for HT/LT, two seperate albums or just one album (the 'Lucky Touch' album), should end with My Beautiful Reward, as a natural closer. Happy should stay where it is, Tracks Disc 4.

Your nice album misses of few of the best songs of the sessions (because they did not fit the 'theme', probably; leaving good songs out in favour of others that better 'fit', just like Bruce himself did!:D): Seven Angels, 30 Days Out, Soul Driver, the already mentioned Real World and the very, very underrated With Every Wish.

It was hard leaving some songs out for sure, originally the tracklist was 19 songs. I really like Man’s job but it just didn’t fit I’ve also got a soft spot for Real world. I just tried to keep everything too the concept which made cutting tracks easier. 

1 minute ago, Declansk said:

That’s a great track list, however you can’t forget If I Should Fall Behind! I think Lucky Town as album is kind of a flip slide to TOL. Much of Working on a Dream continues the same themes too.

If I should fall behind is a cracking song I just felt the end of the album became too slow with it. I did think about swapping living proof with it. 

But in all seriousness, your list looks pretty good.

I think TOL would have made a good solo tour in 1988 (I’m imagining a similar sound to the 1990 Christic shows), and HT/LT with an appropriate track list could have been a great single album/tour with the ESB in 1992.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lampi said:

Your nice album misses a few of the best songs of the sessions (because they did not fit the 'theme', probably; leaving good songs out in favour of others that better 'fit', just like Bruce himself did!:D): Seven Angels, 30 Days Out, Soul Driver, the already mentioned Real World and the very, very underrated With Every Wish.

Hmmmmm...... I never heard that song as being about the birth of a child. I still don’t see that but it’s interesting.

Human Touch has been in my cd player for the last week or so,it's an album I've not played for ages so I've been rediscovering it,there are some very good songs on there.

HT & LT draw criticism because of the "it should be one album rather than two" & the opposition to it because of the other band so the good stuff tends to get overlooked at times.

The decade from split to reunion of the ESB is a very interesting one.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, High As Hope said:

The decade from split to reunion of the ESB is a very interesting one.

Bruce’s career in the 1990s can basically be summed up as the three M’s:

Mullet, Movies, and Mexicans.

• Bruuuuce! 1

On 4/22/2021 at 9:46 AM, Lampi said:

I think with every wish is my joint favourite of the era (witu 57 ch)

On 4/22/2021 at 9:51 AM, Declansk said:

Excellent point re WOAD 

• Like 1