Greasy Lake Community

Last 4 on Letter To You

What a sequence of songs to finish the album. Priest / Ghosts / Orphans / Dreams. 

I love the whole album and if playing complete I never skip a song but will often stick on Side 3, each one of those is a classic I think. 

Surely up there with the best of Bruce’s sequence of tracks? 

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 3

1 hour ago, Early North Jersey said:

I know a lot of people disagree ....But i could lose the middle 4 fairly easily ..... The opening 4 is great ...and as you say the closing 4 is for the ages.

At least “The Power Of Prayer” and “House Of A Thousand Guitars” could be axed.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

Agree to disagree.. I 'usually' skip 2 of the 3 "old" songs...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, theseshadows said:

I 'usually' skip 2 of the 3 "old" songs...

Same here.  As for the old songs “Janey Needs A Shooter” may be alright, but Bruce was scraping the bottom of the barrel to fill out this album.  Even then it still clocks in at less than an hour’s worth of music.

6 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Disagree.

My two favourite songs on the album.

That's the great thing about Bruce's music everyone has their own favourites.

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

9 minutes ago, MacBruce said:

Disagree totally.

My two favourite songs on the album.

That's the great thing about Bruce's music everyone has their own favourites.

“House Of A Thousand Guitars” sounds similar to “Even The Nights Are Better” to me.  (I’m sure the boardwalk is coincidence.)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Power of prayer is still my favourite :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Same here.  As for the old songs “Janey Needs A Shooter” may be alright, but Bruce was scraping the bottom of the barrel to fill out this album.  Even then it still clocks in at less than an hour’s worth of music.

Its the pertect lengrh to get me to the shop and back for bread and a bottle of milk if i replay what i was listening to when shopping and play power of prayer twice ;)

So yes i guess another song wouldn't have hurt 

I beleave lonely night in the park is still available 

(Saving fade to black and all it's siblings  for Nebraska box set)

15 hours ago, badlands78 said:

Even then it still clocks in at less than an hour’s worth of music.

Hm...So? There are many great albums that are much shorter than an hour in length.
I'd rather see that he axed for example Rainmaker, 'cause it would make the album stronger in my opinion. Shorter and/but stronger.

6 minutes ago, stillilllife said:

Hm...So? There are many great albums that are much shorter than an hour in length.
I'd rather see that he axed for example Rainmaker, 'cause it would make the album stronger in my opinion. Shorter and/but stronger.

The three “old” songs on the album are each over 6 minutes long, and without them the album would hypothetically be only nine “new” songs and less than 40 minutes.  Ok yes at face value those numbers are on par with BTR or Darkness.  But that is assuming those nine songs are all keepers... which there is room to doubt.  If you start cutting out “Rainmaker” or “House Of A Thousand Guitars” (or take your pick) then you are left with only eight or so new songs and a 35-minute playtime, which by 2020 standards is short-ish for an artist of Bruce’s stature.  (Yes BTR could pull off eight songs in 39 minutes, but that was damn BTR, and I don’t expect Bruce to turn out another BTR.)

14 hours ago, badlands78 said:

“House Of A Thousand Guitars” sounds similar to “Even The Nights Are Better” to me.  (I’m sure the boardwalk is coincidence.)

That’s pretty funny. I can hear the similarity. Oddly, an Air Supply cover would have fit in well on Western Stars.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

That’s pretty funny. I can hear the similarity. Oddly, an Air Supply cover would have fit in well on Western Stars.

That AS song and Christopher Cross' Moon and New York City choruses are very similar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eileen said:

That AS song and Christopher Cross' Moon and New York City choruses are very similar.

Oddly enough, Christopher Cross is always my choice for musical guilty pleasure. 

51 minutes ago, Jertucky said:

Oddly enough, Christopher Cross is always my choice for musical guilty pleasure. 

Too much of a 'soft' voice for me. Too smooth.

4 hours ago, Eileen said:

"There goes my (canvas) miracle.

Sailing away.  Sailing away."

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, badlands78 said:

"There goes my (canvas) miracle.

Sailing away.  Sailing away."

He does his Andy Williams impersonation on that one. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eileen said:

Too much of a 'soft' voice for me. Too smooth.

Believe me, I get it. There is nothing in his music that says I should like it. But I really do love the 4 or 5 hits he had. I’m assuming it has to do with me at just the right age (8 or so) when those songs came out. Young enough that I couldn’t discern between what I like and what was being carved into my brain from repeated radio play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jertucky said:

Guilty pleasure? His debut album is exceptionally good. His second one is pretty good, too. 

• Like 1

It's always interesting to hear the different viewpoints on the songs.  Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder!

Personally, I love the "old" songs.  The obvious care and expertise in the way they've been recorded, I don't know they sound just amazing to me.  Maybe having all this time to "work them up" has helped.  They are on a different level from the rest of the album IMO (not that I don't enjoy the rest).  I don't care when they were written, makes no difference to me.

I would rank Letter to You behind only Magic as far as albums made during the second incarnation of the band.