Greasy Lake Community

Born in the U.S.A. Revisited

As it is.

Without BUSA -as it is- no Nebraska, as part of the 'deal'  with Columbia. Which more or less ends the discussion. And even neglecting this, I would not change a thing about it. The album is also perfectly sequenced.

This still no excuse for the album cover (should have been the cover used for the 7" and 12" single releases of the song BUSA), for the embarassing video clips of DITD and I'm On Fire and for the 'disco remixes'  of DITD, Cover Me and BUSA.

And of course No Surrender should have been the 2nd single, instead of Cover Me (which could qualify as the most underrated song from the album, but still was a baffling choice for 2nd single of the album). But then-someone once said to me it was good No Surrender was never released as a single, so now it always was a song for the fans.

• Like 5

Something like this for me:

1. Born in the U.S.A.
2. Janey don't you lose heart
3. Darlington county
4. Downbound train
5. Shut out the light

6. No surrender
7. Dancing in the dark
8. Bobby Jean
9. I'm goin' down
10. My hometown

There are several songs I miss in my track list though, which are among his best from this period. I can live without Darlington county, but it fits well in the track list above and I do like it. I'll have to think about making a track list that flows that inludes the 12 (or 10) best songs

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

BITUSA just as it is.  Singles, sequence, even the music videos.  ‘84-85 was epic.

Apart from the music videos, I would agree with you.

I listened to BITUSA all the way through recently for the first time in many years. It's just a fabulous rock and roll record, with a couple of wonderful ballads.

The songs are tremendous and have stood the test of time. It's no wonder so many of them are still concert staples.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, badlands78 said:

BITUSA just as it is.  Singles, sequence, even the music videos.  ‘84-85 was epic.

Not sure what our freind @Lampi doesn't like about the album cover :lol:

But i also agree taking everything into account and being 12-13 years old at the time the album and its associated releases are absolutly perfect for its/my time

Without that monumental record i would not be Daisey Jeep and i wouldn't  know all you good people today 

But i kind of wish Nebraska had been included as a double record because i imange how stupendous it would have been to have got Nebrasks for Christmas when Dad gave me BITUSA 

I would never have got off this train, i would have explored the back cataloge (like i had done partially with Bowie and entirely with (puke) Duran Duran  

Also i would have loved to have listened to The River with my dad

But it would have been an exspensive release - records were taxed as luxuries back in those days

I think my dad would still have got it for me but if it was only available as a double record like the river a lot of my freinds wouod not have got it.

Pocket money didnt go that far in 1985

Without that huge chart topping success Bruce inc wouod not have had the freedom with his career and subsequent releases 

Imagine if i had never got the Joad album ....Id be listening to Ted Nugget and not just for the music  ! :lol:

If everything somehow happens for a reason - good and bad - BITUSA  happened exactly how it needed to

I mean i prefer Child bride to Working on the highway but that could have created huge controversy-( it may still make a ripple on the pond of PC when we do eventually get the Nebraska and BITUSA box set ) but back in the day it that could have affected global sales 

Always greatful to the BITUSA album

• Like 2

I've always wished Bruce would have released a record of the outtakes during the BITUSA tour.

It would have been welcomed with open arms by the fans AND made a ton of money for him and CBS.

Ideally that record would have contained a excellent sounding "Unsatisfied Heart," plus "This Hard Land," "None But the Brave," the acoustic (no drum machines etc.) "Sugarland," "Cynthia"...

• Like 1

30 million records sold worldwide, 7 singles in the Billboard top ten, a global success, a tour with over 4 million viewers. Bruce becoming a superstar!

I think Born in the Usa is perfect this way. A record from the 80s. One of the most important records from the 80s.

I wouldn't change a song. I was 12 in 1984, it was the soundtrack of my adolescence.

ok, i also like Sugarland, Murcer Inc. and My Love will not let, but i'm too fond of all 12 tracks

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Nicola said:

I was 12 in 1984, it was the soundtrack of my adolescence.

Similar for myself, same age. Dancing in the dark vinyl single was the first record I ever bought with my own earned money from my paper round. The cassette tape was my first album. I bought both as I wanted Pink Cadillac on the single. The back catalogue followed, every album, bootlegs, and that first concert in 1985. That album changed my life forever and I will always be grateful for how it did. 

• Like 3
  • Bruuuuce! 1

My only change to the OG record would be Murder Inc instead of Cover Me. How Murder Inc got left off the album is mind boggling to me.

None But the Brave, My Love, and Man at The Top are also some of my all-time favorites, and could easily replace Working on the Highway, I'm On Fire, and My Hometown.

I guess I'm in the minority, but I actually like Darlington County... granted, I haven't been to an ESB show (yet) so I can understand that the song is quite overplayed in concert.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Similar for myself, same age. Dancing in the dark vinyl single was the first record I ever bought with my own earned money from my paper round. The cassette tape was my first album. I bought both as I wanted Pink Cadillac on the single. The back catalogue followed, every album, bootlegs, and that first concert in 1985. That album changed my life forever and I will always be grateful for how it did. 

Very similar story and timeline here, BIUSA = lifechanging

Wish we had released studio versions of Protection and Unsatisfied Heart, luv em

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sleepyjoe said:

How Murder Inc got left off the album is mind boggling to me.

Maybe because it sounded a little bit too angry for the big commercial breakthrough album?

• Like 1

On 4/26/2021 at 7:11 AM, Sean McNeill said:

It still remains Bruce's most underrated record among his hard core fanbase.

That’s because a significant subset of Bruce fans unfortunately think that mainstream success and popularity are things to be ashamed of.:rolleyes:

• Like 3

Many of the old hardcores hate it because it catapulted Springsteen to the topermost of the popermost. That really drives me Nuckin' Futs :angry:....& I say that eventhough I hate stadium shows. Great summertime roadtrip record. WTFk's wrong with that?

• Like 3

Bruce’s next best album after Born to Run. I love everything about the Born in the USA album and era. The ESB sounded absolutely great in 84-85 and the songwriting is top notch. The fact that some don’t like it because it made him a superstar doesn’t really make sense to me. Why is that a bad thing?

As others mentioned there are many great non album songs from this era but I don’t think there is a song from the official album I would cut. At times I think Born in the USA would have made a better double album than The River.

So here's my revised track list, trying to fit in my favorite 12 songs from the era:

1. Born in the U.S.A.
2. Janey don't you lose heart
3. Man at the top
4. A good man is hard to find (Pittsburgh)
5. Downbound train
6. Shut out the light

7. No surrender
8. This hard land
9. Bobby Jean
10. County fair
11. I'm goin' down
12. My hometown

I love the album and wouldn’t change anything on it, perfect sequence.  Great album to take the top down on the Plymouth and crank up for a nice cruise.  I also love getting Darlington and WOTH in concert, fun rockers even though I’ve seen both live many many many times.  

1 hour ago, This is The Way said:

Bruce's first incarnation of BIUSA;

image.thumb.png.20b0a2d6eca2e067b6abf96399ba60bd.png

Thanks for that. But I had read somewhere that Jon Landau had stated that the album was always going to start with Born in the USA and finish with My Hometown, and whatever happens between will happen.  

8 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Thanks for that Dan. But I had read somewhere that Jon Landau had stated that the album was always going to start with Born in the USA and finish with My Hometown, and whatever happens between will happen.  

BIUSA first incarnation was 1982 - 05, My Hometown was recorded 1983 - 06 - 29 

50 minutes ago, This is The Way said:

Bruce's first incarnation of BIUSA;

image.thumb.png.20b0a2d6eca2e067b6abf96399ba60bd.png

• Thanks 1