Greasy Lake Community

Born in the U.S.A. Revisited

On 4/26/2021 at 7:33 AM, doesthisbusstop said:

Agree about No Surrender. Always love it live in concert full band version. My favourite track from the album. 

I think No Surrender was a song where Bruce took a long time to get the arrangement right. The album version, even though you can tell it's a great song, is muddied by too much synth.    I suspect it probably didn't translate well live, hence the slow acoustic version that was attempted on tour, which was just ok.  The post-reunion rock version, with the more prominent guitar line, is where the song really reaches it's potential.   I especially love the version with Brian Fallon.

• Like 2

On 4/27/2021 at 11:52 PM, Eileen said:

I shed a tear at the end of the '85 shows because 'I'd' lost him to the masses. However, as for the album ... I loved it!

85 was my first show, because he'd never been to Australia before.  45000 people, the biggest show he'd ever done to that point, and it was in my home town.  Was kind of exhilarating, but also felt weird. 

Eighteen months earlier I'd been just listening to Nebraska and the rest of the catalogue, mostly in the garage. 

Bruce had been totally unknown in Australia; now here's all these people going nuts, but I had them sussed when they didn't even know the "show a little faith" line when he held out the mic.  Frauds!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/26/2021 at 5:29 AM, driveallnight89 said:

I’ve read a lot of people consider BITU to be a compromised record, I throughly enjoy the album as released but was wondering what track lists you all prefer?

I don't know that I'd change too many tracks...maybe something to replace Glory Days.  But I'd completely re-do all the production.   Lose the synths, bring back the Hammond B3, turn up the guitar, shred a solo on the title track.  

Still, it gave him the hits to do a proper world tour, so I'm glad about that.

I don't get the complaints about the production, as the very mid-80s sound, synths and all, is one of the reasons the BUSA album is one of the great  classic albums of the mid-80s, an album that IS the mid-80s. Like: Purple Rain, Hounds of Love, So; and BUSA.

On the other hand, I completely understand (sort of) why the sound is one of the reasons (together with the music videos, disco remixes and Bruce's 'Rambo' image) many of the 'older' fans disliked (and maybe still dislike) this whole era of Bruce superstardom.

(That is, I pretend to completely understand it, judging from my own experiences of some personal favourite artists suddenly getting 'big' at some point; especially R.E.M. with Losing My Religion (a perfect pop song, nothing wrong with that) and the Out Of Time album, in some reviews at the time described as their best album to date, while to my ears it was their worst album to date. And still my least favourite of the first 8 R.E.M. albums (and Chronic Town), even if I like it more now and can really enjoy it now. Still more a collection of songs than a cohesive album, not more but less than the sum of its parts).

As far as synths go, I think the Tunnel of Love album sounds more dated than BUSA.

Still, BUSA could have used a little more sax to sound a little more E Street (maybe).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lampi said:

I don't get the complaints about the production, as the very mid-80s sound, synths and all, is one of the reasons the BUSA album is one of the great  classic albums of the mid-80s, an album that IS the mid-80s.

I totally agree with BITUSA being a defining album of the mid 80s, but to go on a tangent, to my ear I think the synths on BITUSA were retro cheesy even for the mid 80s (except maybe “Dancing In The Dark”).  To me, 80s synth is more like “Take On Me” by A Ha or “Don’t You Want Me” by The Human League or “Sweet Dreams” by Eurythmics.  The BITUSA keyboards are for the most part more like garage rock than Prince - and thank God for that!

• Haha 1

The synths were perfecf for the time

The whole album was perfect for the time

For those of you who's journey didn't  startwith BITUSA - maybe that's the difference ???

But to hear any of those tracks on the radio back in 1984-85 was just so iconic 

He owned those airwaves 

• Like 5

We'd just moved to another house in Sunny Morpeth when this came out and I'd sit at the front door, Bobby the budgie sitting beside me in his cage, and turn the music up loud.

A biker lad lived next door and he and his mates would be out revving their bikes ... ah, those were the days!

• Like 2

It was for me a life-changing album at age 18. I seemed to relate so well to the characters and narrative. Now that I know the rest of the vault, I would exchange Janey Don't You Lose Heart for Cover Me and This Hard Land for Working On The Highway. I like My Love being an outtake played so well live. But still...Great album with tremendous outtakes. 

• Like 4

Without "Born In The USA" I think I wouldn´t be a fan of him or in other words I wouldn´t noticed him!  It was THE album from Bruce in the 80´s and in my earliest memories I can still remember the moment when I first saw Bruce: It was the album cover with his bottom! :D My sister played this record all day long, so I had to be a fan....;)

BitU should be as it is. 

• Like 2
  • Bruuuuce! 2

5 hours ago, GoingDown84 said:

Without "Born In The USA" I think I wouldn´t be a fan of him or in other words I wouldn´t noticed him!  It was THE album from Bruce in the 80´s and in my earliest memories I can still remember the moment when I first saw Bruce: It was the album cover with his bottom! :D My sister played this record all day long, so I had to be a fan....;)

BitU should be as it is. 

7e5f01736542fe8622461177cfa9e4fd.gif

5 hours ago, GoingDown84 said:

BitU should be as it is. 

18 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

BUSA should ALMOST be as it is, then, Daisey.

But at least orange swimming suits were not invented yet in 1984.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lampi said:

BUSA should ALMOST be as it is, then, Daisey.

But at least orange swimming suits were not invented yet in 1984.

I gotta admit 

I was thinking of you when i posted that ;)

pngtree-little-girl-fishing-in-spring-png-image_4586730.jpg

Side A:
1.    Born In The USA
2.    Cover Me
3.    Downbound Train
4.    My Love Will Not Let You Down
5.    I’m On Fire
6.    This Hard Land

Side B:
1.    Murder Incorporated
2.    No Surrender
3.    Wages Of Sin
4.   Johnny Bye Bye
5.    Brothers Under The Bridges
6.    Shut Out The Light

You would think it would be dated but I have listen  to it a lot of late also  watching live 2013 at London and still think its great ...go on have a watch now!

Also its for them strange weirdo folk (who are not nutters like us) who will listen to it now and then them who  say ''springstaine'' they all need a bit of education in music now and then -bless them.   

Tunnel has dated which is sad! really sad it doesn't matter how hard I try to hear otherwise. 

I don't understand this talk of songs being "dated".   Music doesn't have to change.  I don't stop liking something because it's not whatever's in fashion, rap or drum and bass or what's now called "R'n'B". 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

I don't understand this talk of songs being "dated".   Music doesn't have to change.  I don't stop liking something because it's not whatever's in fashion, rap or drum and bass or what's now called "R'n'B". 

At work they play a classic hits radio station that mostly seem to play songs from 1984 ! 

Its like being at intermediate school again and listening to the radio

I don't know what the one younger one thinks of it .... although we do seem to listen to a different station on a Saturday when she is on

Its mostly aged well

With only a few exceptions what i liked  then still sounds good and what i hated...well i still hate

I even still remember most of the words

But i feel like we may have all turned into our parents ....

• Like 1

But musically, everything that's ever been used to make music is still used.  Acoustic guitar music isn't seen as "dated" because electric guitars have been invented. 

• Like 1