Greasy Lake Community

Looking forward to playing this. Songs like Human Touch, Living Proof, Local Hero, etc are better for me in 92 than more recent E street versions. ESB isn’t always best. Love this original version of If I Should Fall Behind too. 

• Like 3
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After listening to the entire show, I think this serves as a fabulous chance to "re-appreciate" the Other Band Tour. Yes, 57 Channels is horrendous, but that's just one song. BTR and Badlands don

Ah!  You and Niels touched on the real conundrum that is 1992/1993 for Bruce's career.  I completely agree; he was happy, both in the music (quite literally, as that was the title of one song from the

What an enjoyable way to spend 3 hours that was! Here's the full review, enjoy!: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2021/05/08/new-from-the-springsteen-archive-december-13th-1992-boston-ma-bos

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Looking forward to playing this. Songs like Human Touch, Living Proof, Local Hero, etc are better for me in 92 than more recent E street versions. ESB isn’t always best. Love this original version of If I Should Fall Behind too. 

Living Proof is probably the best version I’ve heard the passion in Bruce’s voice elevates the song. 

The other band totally own the 92 material, they give the E-Street material a good go but it’s always just that for me. I wish that they developed more unique arrangements for the classics. 

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, driveallnight89 said:

I wish that they developed more unique arrangements for the classics. 

Agreed. On the basis that it’s apparent that Bruce couldn’t stop himself from playing them (and therefore leaving them out completely wasn’t an option), reimagining them would have been a far better idea. The tour’s reputation would have been enhanced.

31 minutes ago, Nick21 said:

Agreed. On the basis that it’s apparent that Bruce couldn’t stop himself from playing them (and therefore leaving them out completely wasn’t an option), reimagining them would have been a far better idea. The tour’s reputation would have been enhanced.

From Backstreet news, May 7, 2021 - Jon Phillips reporting:

"As Springsteen says at the end of the first half of the show, they'd be back after the intermission for more "rock and soul entertainment for you." AND soul. That's part of what made this tour different and important. Bruce always loved soul and gospel music, but it would be a hard sell to go out and tour purely on that sound, à la the Seeger Sessions. But go back and watch Bruce with Sam Moore on "Hold On, I'm Comin'" and "Soul Man" at the The 25th Anniversary Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Concerts. How great is that? How happy does Bruce look?

Sam Moore sang on the Human Touch record, and Bobby King is his admirable stand-in for the tour. "Man's Job," "Roll of the Dice," even "Local Hero" share the soul elements that make this performance way more than an E Street-lite show (and Bruce would go on to further embrace the gospel side in Europe with "Many Rivers to Cross" and "Satan's Jewel Crown.") So don't listen to these shows waiting to see how the Other Band treats E Street material — enjoy them partly for how close Bruce allowed himself to get to a different kind of performance."

But I am preparing an all conquering World tour 92-93 topic to go deeper into this :P

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1
11 minutes ago, el sergio said:

From Backstreet news, May 7, 2021 - Jon Phillips reporting:

“So don't listen to these shows waiting to see how the Other Band treats E Street material — enjoy them partly for how close Bruce allowed himself to get to a different kind of performance."

The problem is, by including them in the set, they have to be part of the critical evaluation. Just like The Office is incredible between seasons two and five, but the latter seasons (particularly post-Michael Scott) diminish its reputation slightly. They struggled to fill that Steve Carrell void, some characters became parodies of themselves. 

Based on Jon’s comments, it’s annoying that Bruce got close but didn’t fully crack that “different type of performance”. Including E Street tracks, played in their original form, held him back. 

8 minutes ago, Nick21 said:

Based on Jon’s comments, it’s annoying that Bruce got close but didn’t fully crack that “different type of performance”. Including E Street tracks, played in their original form, held him back. 

I know, I know, just a little bit of patience, working on that "World tour 92-93" topic

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nick21 said:

reimagining them would have been a far better idea.

I wouldn't have wanted it to be like one of Dylan's "guess which song this is" concerts. :blink:

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, Born To Walk said:

I wouldn't have wanted it to be like one of Dylan's "guess which song this is" concerts. :blink:

That's true. But the Hungry Heart from the radio broadcast shows what could have been, maybe.

Working on the Highway also.

2 minutes ago, Lampi said:

But the Hungry Heart from the radio broadcast shows what could have been

Yes, shame he gave up on that version.

really digging Gloria's Eyes on this release

• Like 1

I've listened to the first 5 or 6 songs so far... I think my main issue with the 92/93 shows is the utter lack of bottom end, is there even a bassist on stage for some of these songs? And also Shane's guitar tone. It's too bright and too processed (sounds like he has the chorus pedal up to 11 for the guitar aficionados out there) and sparkly and he overplays a lot of the time. 

11 minutes ago, sleepyjoe said:

I can't get over how good Trapped and Real World are on this release

that female voice at the end ruins Trapped for me

9 hours ago, Niels said:

Is it me or does Bruce come across as the happiest person alive in these shows during this tour? Not saying he's not happy with the other tours, of course he is. But I would describe them as... passionate & exciting. Here he just seems so happy. 

Great call, Niels. His happiness is the big takeaway of the tour, for me, especially compared to the energy generated at the Tunnel Tour shows I attended.  You could tell Bruce was conflicted. I didn’t see the 92-93 tour but watched a high quality pro-shot bootleg of one of the shows, turned to my friend who played it for me, and immediately exclaimed “he’s so happy!” Inescapable. He was doing what he wanted to do. No better definition of happiness in my mind. Thanks for the post Niels.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Rumble said:

Great call, Niels. His happiness is the big takeaway of the tour, for me, especially compared to the energy generated at the Tunnel Tour shows I attended.  You could tell Bruce was conflicted. I didn’t see the 92-93 tour but watched a high quality pro-shot bootleg of one of the shows, turned to my friend who played it for me, and immediately exclaimed “he’s so happy!” Inescapable. He was doing what he wanted to do. No better definition of happiness in my mind. Thanks for the post Niels.

Ah!  You and Niels touched on the real conundrum that is 1992/1993 for Bruce's career.  I completely agree; he was happy, both in the music (quite literally, as that was the title of one song from the era) and on stage and probably in his personal life as a husband and father.  But what was the result of Bruce making “happy” art?  It was essentially rejected by fans and critics.  Bruce himself said in his 1999 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction speech that he tried writing happy songs in the ‘90s and “It didn't work; the public didn't like it!”  He was right, and for a long time the conventional teaching was that Bruce fans are supposed to detest 1992/1993.  (Yes, the “other band” was a factor too.)

It’s strange that Bruce fans are happiest when Bruce’s music/characters are depressed, and conversely we are mostly depressed when Bruce’s music is happy.

I’m glad to see 1992/1993 getting some long awaited respect as a result of the Nugs releases.

• Like 5
  • Hug 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, badlands78 said:

I’m glad to see 1992/1993 getting some long awaited respect as a result of the Nugs releases.

It's certainly made me appreciate the era so much more. I've always loved Lucky Town (the album... one of my favorites actually) but listening to this Nugs release is the first time I've fully realized what he was going for in this era. I think the flaw of the tour was quickly abandoning the new material, substituting it in for ESB warhorses that were obviously missing something without the ESB.

The setlist here in the Boston show is incredibly well conceived. I'd even argue that the few ESB songs in the main set work brilliantly when paired with the new songs. Lucky Town into Darkness? Badlands into Living Proof? Souls of the Departed into BITUSA? Real World into Light of Day? All four of those pairings re-contextualize the songs and elevate the show.

The other 2 Nugs releases from this tour focus on the ESB songs and "special guests" as opposed to the new material. I think that's the difference.

I also noted how happy he sounds on this release. And how personal the lyrics are. Though Darkness may not be the "best" version ever, it never sounded more honest, IMO.

• Like 5
15 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

Valid and important point ! 

15 hours ago, el sergio said:

I know, I know, just a little bit of patience, working on that "World tour 92-93" topic

Do it ! 

Despite owning BITUSA back in the day i had no real history of the ESB and when i finally chambered back on board this train after being lost out west for too many years i really loved unpluged (especially as its actually plugged)

I loved how happy  everyone was 

I even bought a particularly awful quality bootleg vhs from this tour that i really enjoyed

37 minutes ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Do it ! 

Despite owning BITUSA back in the day i had no real history of the ESB and when i finally chambered back on board this train after being lost out west for too many years i really loved unpluged (especially as its actually plugged)

I loved how happy  everyone was 

I even bought a particularly awful quality bootleg vhs from this tour that i really enjoyed

Bootleg days

• Like 1

Oh no ! 

Do i prefer miserable Bruce ?

Just Adam and seeds are two of my absolute favourites but i need angry and desperate

tenor-7.gif

• Like 1

Durring leap of faith where something happens to his shoe and he says "she can keep it"

Why is that familiar to me ?

I thought my old bootleg was from the UK ...? 

Love his voice btw 

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Oh no ! 

Just Adam and seeds are two of my absolute favourites but i need angry and desperate

tenor-7.gif

Thats the incredible thing .....and the sometimes incredibly frustrating thing .....There are room for a lot of disparate types on the train and different people enjoy different parts of the journey more than other parts.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Oh no ! 

13 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Ahhhh

This hard land is very good :wub:

12 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

Durring leap of faith where something happens to his shoe and he says "she can keep it"

Why is that familiar to me ?

I thought my old bootleg was from the UK ...? 

Love his voice btw 

I think I'm out of the loop here - the lack of responses seem to imply I am so apologies in advance - but these songs are from the June 24th, 1993 NJ Archive released in January 2018, not the new Boston release...